300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The man, keeping me down again...

Man, my little teeny tiny blue LEDs on my hood caught the attention of the fuzz. Just another example of the man, keeping me down. An $18 ticket, too !!! OKAY, just kidding! That's a pretty easy ticket. I unplugged the lights, too.

One question, though- the law I was ticketed under says that no car may have forward facing red or blue lights. Is this to avoid confusing me with a police officer?
    I am disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious? - Mr. Sparkle

just buy on of those red flashing lights at radio shack and slap it on the dash when you need to get someplace in a hurry, like pickin' up a pizza.
    I'll post, You argue.

Comment

That's what the law is for.

Admittedly those loghts are small, but I know alot of officers that hammer folks with them, and the courts ahve upheld it here.

BTW, here it can be up to $125 if the officer writes you on the Uniform Citation, which most officers will if they are going to mess with it. I have a buddy in a neighboring jurisdiction that has wrote at least 25 or so.

Take the $18 ticket and run with it!
      People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

Up here, it is a $95 (Canadian - ~ $58 US) fine BUT if you don't pay or show up, you are automatically convicted. If you don't pay within 15 days following Court, the fine goes up by $40.

If the total is not paid by the month prior to your birth month, then you get a reminder notice, and if it is not paid by the end of your birth month, your licence (or authority to drive here, if you hold a licence from some other jurisdiction) is suspended FOREVER until it is paid.

Driving during such a suspension is a minimum $100 fine. If your driving record here is bad enough, there can be an impound "flag" placed on it, and any vehicle you are caught driving will be impounded for 30 to 60 days. NOTHING can be taken out of the vehicle prior to seizure other than a child safety seat or a device required by a physically challenged person to operate a vehicle.

And yes, it is to prevent any possibility of looking like an LEO/PO. Our law equates green and blue lights, nor can you display red lights to the front.
        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
        "Smile" - no!

Comment

I don't disagree with the purpose of the law. And I can see how it would be difficult to say, "Okay, blue lights of THIS size are okay, but not of THIS size, unless you do THIS or THAT to them".

That said, if you are tooling along, and a Subaru Outback Sport comes up behind you, and you see two pinpricks of blue light on the hood (you actually can't even see them from directly in front because the blue lights were so tiny and cheap), and you break out in a sweat, thinking, "What did I do??!?!", and pull over, you have a problem

I agree with the intent of the law- however, it is primarily used as an excuse to pull people over to kind of check them out- as an Academy graduate, I can't say I really have a problem with that. A lot of big arrests have come from enforcing very very minor laws.

Comment

I just wrote somebody up on this last night. However I will issue a written warning that (technically) gives them 5 days to remove the lights. I usually don't worry about it for 10-15 days, however. But if they don't send back my little card with an officer's signature saying the problem is fixed, I issue the citation ($80 in our jurisdiction, $140 if I write it into the county).

I've also written them up for the purple neon ground effects, internal neon lights that show red to the front, etc. Basically, if it ain't red (to the rear), amber or white, I'll pull them over.

A question arose a while ago at our PD regarding the headlights on higher-end autos (I think they're xenon gas, or something like that -- I have them on my own vehicle). The lights have a bluish tint to them and someone was wondering if that could be PC to make a stop. One guy says he knows a state trooper that will do it (surprise), if he needs a reason to make a stop and can't find something else. But I don't think it's been tested in court. Anyone dealt with this before?
            Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

My son had purple lights and was stopped. He was polite but did say they were purple. The officer called for a back up opinion and they said they were purple too. But, he no longer has the truck and can't drive anymore anyway.

Comment

I was wondering about those blue headlights.

For clarification, the CO law ONLY mentions red or blue lamps visible from the front of the car. Green is already prohibited here, I think, and I'm guessing that they could stretch orange or purple into those two.

To me, it seems like a law passed entirely for PC for stops. If an officer REALLY thought you were trying to convince other drivers you were a cop/ambulance/whatever, you sure as heck wouldn't be getting an $18 ticket, there are much more appropriate and punative charges.

So the end result for me is this- I'm sad that my wife's present to me goes unused because of that law. But when I finally get hired somewhere, I'll pull over every person I see with those lights, and smile, and say, "Did you know those are illegal, sir?" I don't know about ticketing them, but I guess on a slow night, anything for PC to pull somebody over can get you something more exciting than an $18 ticket [Wink]

He did ask me if I was carrying, since I'm a CCW holder. I wasn't (I would have told him at the very beginning, of course!), but I thought it was interesting that my name is in the database.

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by Xanthorius:
                  I agree with the intent of the law- however, it is primarily used as an excuse to pull people over to kind of check them out- as an Academy graduate, I can't say I really have a problem with that. A lot of big arrests have come from enforcing very very minor laws.

Just my 2 cents (or 1.36 cents CDN ), but as I understand it, you've mentioned you're in the process of trying to get hired, and that you were aware of the law which you were breaking- and the reason it exists. What was your reasoning behind installing them in the first place? Would you not want to stay sqeaky clean during your apps? IMHO, in the long run it's not a big deal, but why add even a tiny flag to your background? Just a thought.

[ 04-22-2003, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Cancop ]

Comment

I actually wasn't aware- shows you how much attention I paid in my traffic section of the Academy My wife got pulled over on a warning down in Denver when she was driving the Subaru with the lights, several months ago.

Not wanting to have illegal equipment on my car (apparently legal to sell at WalMart ), I did what I thought was a very thorough search of the Colorado Revised Statutes. Using an online engine, I searched for every single combination of "lamp" "lamp color" "light" "light color" "blue" "headlamp" that I could think of.

Well, either the search engine was busted, or I was (which do you think is more likely ), because I never found this particular law. So I kept the lights on, thinking it was a local thing. I'm rarely in Douglas County (the agency that gave my wife the warning), so I thought, "meh, who cares?" and left them on.

Like I said, though, now that my brain is in gear and I found the law (thanks to the CRS number on my ticket!), the lights are unplugged. They were kind of a joke gift from my wife, so I was pretty partial to them, but if it's the law, it's the law. And like I said, someday it will be useful for me, too

[ 04-22-2003, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Xanthorius ]

Comment

Little blue lights are becoming the rage here in California among the "The Fast and the Furious" set. They're also forbidden here in California...so forbidden that ONLY law enforcement is allowed to have them. While firefighters and paramedics can have them in other states, they can't have them here.

Every time one of those cars comes up behind me at a high rate of speed, I do think for a second that I'm about to get pulled over. However, the lack of a steady-burning red light (required for Code 3 operation under CA law), plus the vehicle involved (often a "slammed" Honda, Acura, or Mitsubishi product), makes me immediately realize that's it's not a cop car. But the average civilian isn't going to think this way, so I can understand the need for such a law.

Southern California in particular has had notoriety in the past with serial criminals posing as undercover cops to lure victims: Caryl Chessman aka "The Red Light Bandit", and "Hillside Stranglers" Kenneth Bianchi and Angelo Buono, used equipment to fool people into thinking they were plain-clothes cops.

While few would believe an undercover cop would ride around in a Civic that sat an inch off the ground on 17 inch rims, it's a much different story when that equipment is now on an older Caprice or Crown Vic. I have noticed quite a few 20 and 30 somethings driving around in ex-cop cars, a LOT of them being Russian mafia types.

Comment

In SC, blue lights are only unlawful if they are "flashing, rotating, or oscillating"

Those little blue washer nozzle LED's are not illegal here. They are, however, totally GHEY so I'm glad you took them off!
                        No cops, know anarchy.

"He aint finna come all up in my house and act a fool and be gettin away with it cause I will go smooth off." -Movista

Comment

Michigan...Only light to the front of the vehicle ( personal veh) can be white or amber....no other color...it's the law. Also take a look at the box that those little I" I wanna be cool" lights come in. Everyone I have taken a look at states "For show purposes only" or " Check with your local pd/city/etc prior to driving on public roadway"

Comment

How times do change. When I was a kid growing up in Colorado the ONLY vehicles that were allowed blue lights were snow plows. Seriously.
                            6P1 (retired)

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by Don:
                              How times do change. When I was a kid growing up in Colorado the ONLY vehicles that were allowed blue lights were snow plows. Seriously.

I've heard about that Don. Back in the day the horses pulling the plows would get spooked by their shadows cast by the white lights on the plow they pulled. Blue lights tend to cast less of a shadow

[ 04-23-2003, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: LeeRoy ]
                              If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4327 users online. 304 members and 4023 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X