S&M in Law Enforcement training.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S&M in Law Enforcement training.

Someone explain this new Sadomasochistic trend in Law Enforcement training. You have to be tazed to carry a Tazer, You have to be sprayed to carry OC. What is next, you have to be knocked silly with a strike from a Baton before you can carry it or shot to qualify to carry a firearm. I'm sorry I just don't get it.

What if someone takes your weapon and sprays you? What if they have their own? Both pepper spray and tazers are available to the public.

If you don't know the effects and how to deal with them, how are you going to react on the road if you get tazed or sprayed? By having this done to you during training, you have proven to yourself that you CAN get through the pain and still fight for your life while you're in the ditch with a suspect. I'm GLAD I got sprayed. It sucked, but at least I know I can still react in a fight.
    Last edited by jthorpe; 11-19-2007, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I'll be more blunt--------- If a little discomfort during training bothers you, go find another job.........

Comment

This seems like the most effective means to really understand what sort of effect you can expect from tools of the trade that may wind up saving your life. Well worth a few moments of discomfort.

Comment

Yeah, you have to do all those push-ups in the military, you sweat quarts, you run, you shoot, you learn to take a human life (in most branches.)

Sado-masochism is a sexual deviancy. If either the trainee or the trainer get sexual pleasure from training, they need to find another job.

We had Taser training today. Maybe 30 people went through it. A officer NEEDS TO KNOW what it feels like so he'll realize how serious it is, and also so he won't look at it as a cattle prod, or something to wake up drunks.

The training was filmed by the University of Georgia Photo Journalism school, who do a lot of work with us because we let them. The girl on the camera, an 18 or 19 year old volunteered to take the full ride, to be shot with the capsule. And she did great.

The other half of the crew, the "pretty face" also took about a second and a half. To them, this increased their credibility. It was a brave thing for the camera girl to do, more than some men who are required to take a shot would do...they're not requierd to take the full ride.

But now, they both know. They saw 30 or so people get Tased, saw no one get killed or injured, saw that once the Taser was over most people (including the camera girl) actualy felt good, an adrenelin rush.

When they go on to be reporters, they have a credible view of what it's like since they went through it. Cops need to know what it's like as well, so they don't use it inadvisably, or so they know the debilitating affect it has. We train with clubs wearing a "red suite" for protection for the same reason...no harm. Pepper spray and Tasers don't do any permanant harm, and you need to know what to do if YOU'RE threatened with a Taser, and know to avoid it.

It's not a hazing ritual. It's a training necessity.
          Last edited by Gene L; 11-19-2007, 08:51 PM.
          "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

um...yeah...

i resent the comparison..i derive no sexual pleasure from devices used to gain control..
            In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

I'm really disappointed. I thought I could expect Symphony and Metallica for future training in Law Enforcement.
              -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

Originally posted by jdh View Post
                Someone explain this new Sadomasochistic trend in Law Enforcement training. You have to be tazed to carry a Tazer, You have to be sprayed to carry OC. What is next, you have to be knocked silly with a strike from a Baton before you can carry it or shot to qualify to carry a firearm. I'm sorry I just don't get it.
                If your department is issuing you padded leather handcuffs, then it's time to apply elsewhere.
                "Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

Comment

You better know how to fight thru OC cause odds are you will get some blowback or catch some from a buddy while fighting. Most academies spray you and then you have to perform. We had to do knee strikes, elbow strikes, use baton, and then ID whether someone was a threat and then draw gun order to ground and cuff. Then we stumbled to the water to wash the fire away. It does have training value. It is NOT so they can laugh at you and have a good time.
                  "Do not be deceived:Bad company corrupts good morals."
                  1 Corinthians 15:

You are the weapon, everything else is just a tool

Comment

I'm sadly disappointed. I really thought this thread was going to be on a more interesting topic!

Comment

The tazer and the OC spray are below deadly force. If a department is goingto adopt a less than lethal force option, it is necesary that officers experience it so they will understand it's effects and it's limitations. You do not have your officers experience force that is considered lethal (shooting them) or that which might maim them or cause serious bodily injury (what, retire them on disability) because you want them to survive the training in shape to assume their duties .... else why bother?

Not a little scared are we????? Don't worry, it's a blast. Some even enjoy it.
                      "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by txleo-3 View Post
                        You better know how to fight thru OC cause odds are you will get some blowback or catch some from a buddy while fighting. Most academies spray you and then you have to perform. We had to do knee strikes, elbow strikes, use baton, and then ID whether someone was a threat and then draw gun order to ground and cuff. Then we stumbled to the water to wash the fire away. It does have training value. It is NOT so they can laugh at you and have a good time.
                        This is absolutely true. However, outside of the legitimization of the taser as a true less than lethal weapon and trying to publically contradict the media reports of taser-related deaths, I've never seen the training value in taking a hit before being able to carry the taser.
                        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Someone explain this new Sadomasochistic trend in Law Enforcement training.
                          There's nothing new about. We all had to get Maced when I went through the academy in 1970. (No OC pepper spray back then - just good old CS Mace) Part of it was so we would know what the bad guys were feeling when we did it to them. But mainly, it was to give officers an edge in court. When a defense attorney got the arresting officer up on the stand in front of a jury and hysterically demanded to know if he had any idea of the torturous pain inflicted on his client when he Maced him, the officer could calmly look at the jury and say, "Oh yes, I experienced it first hand. We were all routinely Maced in the academy as part of our training, so we would know just what it felt like." It shuts defense attorneys up in a hurry. It's the same principle today with OC and the Taser.
                          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Come here you.....I got a purple nurple with your name on it!

**edit**

The number one reason for officers to get tased during training?

So we call all watch the videos later!

Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JMTX View Post
                              I'm sadly disappointed. I really thought this thread was going to be on a more interesting topic!
                              We will talk more off line....

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10510 users online. 381 members and 10129 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X