300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audible Signal while Passing

I wonder how many people in Tennessee follow this law? The section I am mentioning is bolded, emphsis mine.

55-8-117. Overtaking a vehicle on the left. —
    The following rules shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations, exceptions and special rules hereinafter stated:

(1) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle; and

(2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of the overtaken vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

[Acts 1955, ch. 329, § 16; T.C.A., § 59-817.]

Looks like this one has not been touched since 1955, yet I have never seen anyone in this state do as such.
    That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

We have the same law here in WV.

One of my favs. that never gets enforced is the one thats states anytime an emergency vehicle is parked on the side of the road with lights activated they shall not be passed at a speed greater than 25mph.

Comment

The law states that the driver of the vehicle being passed must yield upon receiving an audible signal; it does not say that the passing driver must give an audible signal in order to pass.

Comment

Yes but the word shall is used in the law which could lead one to belive the legislative intent was for the driver to make such an audible signal. It also states that the overtaken vehicle shall yield the right away. If one does not make an audible signal, then the vehicle appears to not have to yield to the right. Wherein it would appear that one does not need to give such a signal to pass, no penalty; however, one does not need to give right of way without such signal. So per the law one should give a signal when passing.

Comment

OR everyone could just drive the speed limit and be done with the headache...
          When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

Comment

Yes - if everyone drove AT the speed limit, not within the speed limit (barring unsafe conditions) I think everyone's lives would be much easier. I sure hate following 35s in a 55.

Kind of an interesting law though, don't think I've come across one quite like that in the Maine statutes yet.

Comment

Virginia has the same law. A vehicle in the left lane must move over if the vehicle behind them uses an audible signal or flashes their lights. But in Virginia if you flash you "I want to pass you lights" the likely reaction of the vehicle in front of you will be brake lights. And rapid deceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                The law states that the driver of the vehicle being passed must yield upon receiving an audible signal; it does not say that the passing driver must give an audible signal in order to pass.
                Who would hear "an audible signal" in this day of Ipods, super-stereos, Sirius Radios a,d Cell Phones?

Comment

Originally posted by iMarkVideo View Post
                  Virginia has the same law. A vehicle in the left lane must move over if the vehicle behind them uses an audible signal or flashes their lights. But in Virginia if you flash you "I want to pass you lights" the likely reaction of the vehicle in front of you will be brake lights. And rapid deceleration.

Using the "flash to pass" signal (pulling back on your turn signal stalk to quickly blink your high beams) here in VA will get you the brake lights (as you mentioned) or quite possibly the "You are #1" hand gesture. You may also get the law called on you for being "aggressive" because you want to get around them without having to pass on the right (which poses a greater risk).

99 percent of VA drivers (and those passing through) are basically clueless and think that the left lane is reserved just for them. As I have said before, our "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs should be replaced with "Keep Right Except To Pass." Other states have done this, and it seems to work a little bit better.

Of course, nobody ever thinks of themselves as "slower traffic" -- and they could really care less about proper lane discipline, efficient traffic flow and overall highway safety.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Would it be fair to say that yelling to the other driver your opinion of their parentage (or possible lack there of) isn't going to qualify as an audible signal?
                    R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
                    I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Using the "flash to pass" signal (pulling back on your turn signal stalk to quickly blink your high beams) here in VA will get you the brake lights (as you mentioned) or quite possibly the "You are #1" hand gesture. You may also get the law called on you for being "aggressive" because you want to get around them without having to pass on the right (which poses a greater risk).

99 percent of VA drivers (and those passing through) are basically clueless and think that the left lane is reserved just for them. As I have said before, our "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs should be replaced with "Keep Right Except To Pass." Other states have done this, and it seems to work a little bit better.

Of course, nobody ever thinks of themselves as "slower traffic" -- and they could really care less about proper lane discipline, efficient traffic flow and overall highway safety.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."
                      Dutch,

You and I are on the same page here. Why is it we can figure it out but the majority of other drivers can't? Sad isn't it? I think half the traffic problems in VA are due to idiot drivers that have no lane courtesy.

Be safe.

Comment

So has anyone started giving audio signals while passing yet?

Comment

We used to have this law on the books in Wisconsin, but it was removed several years ago. It was a throw-back to 1920's that the legislature finally decided to kick off the books.
                          Originally posted by kontemplerande
                          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Tennessee motor vehicle laws were overhauled in 1955. Now several laws have changed or been added to since then. However, in 1955 I guess they thought this one still needed to be on the books and they haven't touched it since.

Comment

Originally posted by AvalancheZ71 View Post
                              So has anyone started giving audio signals while passing yet?
                              Yep,

Got the look, the bird, the brake lights and , rapid declaration from the vehicle a head of me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7754 users online. 447 members and 7307 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X