Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Home Is Burning-What One Possession Would You Save & Why?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Home Is Burning-What One Possession Would You Save & Why?

(Not counting people and pets, of course-they're all safe.)

You only have time to grab one thing in your house/apartment/tent/RV/ before leaving.

Started thinking about this after a fire burned a family home to the ground in minutes, in the middle of the night. People ran out in pajamas, clutching one precious item each.

Friday

aside from maybe grabbing my keys to move my car out of the driveway (in case teh house collapses or something), i dont think i would really purposely go "rescue" anything.

Comment

I would say my mink blanket for that is one thing that would be very hard to replace.

Klar
      Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

Being that I actually lived this experience almost 10 years ago, after getting my son and pets out of the house, I grabbed my handbag. It had car keys, drivers license, cash, credit cards - things that I know I would need.

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: kateykakes ]

Comment

Last edited by Frank Booth; 12-26-2003, 08:31 AM.

Comment

I would grab a photo album I have, two of the pictures in it can never be replaced, and I value them more than any material possession I own.

Comment

I would probably save my wine rack full of wine, as I'll probably need it for therapy.
              "I don't know karate. But I know Ka-RAZay! (Yes he does!)" The Payback - James Brown

Comment

Originally posted by SpecOpsWarrior:
                I would grab a photo album I have, two of the pictures in it can never be replaced, and I value them more than any material possession I own.
                I recently nearly went through this experience, when one of California's notorious brush fires threatened my parents' home.

The things we piled into the cars, pending evacuation? Photo albums, many of which contain pictures over 50 years old and are the only remaining photographic record of my ancestors. Irreplaceable items of jewelry. A week's worth of clothing for each of my parents, as well as the means (cash, credit cards, ID, keys to the safe deposit boxes for the insurance papers) to get them through life in case they have to rebuild.

Fortunately, the fire stopped short of their neighborhood, and the only inconvenience they faced was having to unload the cars and put the stuff back.

Comment

I went through that experience in the past and I also grabbed my keys, purse and since it was in the middle of the night and it was winter, I grabbed our coats and shoes (all were right in the closet by the front door).

Only take what's essential for immediate use unless time permits for extras like sentimentality - and then I would take family pictures and my bible.
                  ~Yabba Dabba Do!

Comment

Clothes and shoes...

I don't wear much (read into that what you will) at night, and I dont think the rescue team needs to see anything like that...

Also, it will likely happen during a snow storm...

(imagine the embarrasement of THAT type of shrinkage! YIKES!)

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: Stone ]
                    Education is nothing without experience to back it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Stone:
                      Clothes and shoes...

I don't wear much (read into that what you will) at night, and I dont think the rescue team needs to see anything like that...

Also, it will likely happen during a snow storm...

(imagine the embarrasement of THAT type of shrinkage! YIKES!)

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: Stone ]
                      Stone - you got problems!!

As for me, I'd try to grab the photo album that has lots of pics of my father and his family because no one else in my family has those pictures. But if that was too far out of reach - as long as my mom and my doggy Lewis are safe that's all I could ask for.

Comment

Probably the laptop. Otherwise, how could I complain about the experience to you all?
                        I haven't felt this good since we stole the 2000 elections!--Ned Flanders

Comment

Originally posted by SpecOpsWarrior:
                          I agree and would do the same. For instance, both of my parents are deceased so the photos are all I have. I have been taking the originals and scanning them, touching them up as best I can and then burning them onto cd's. This also makes it easier to supply relatives with copies.
                          My prized one has to be a 1939 photo of my mother on her Harley. I never saw the photo previously. I found it in her wallet after she died.
                          " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by 207:
                            I have been taking the originals and scanning them, touching them up as best I can and then burning them onto cd's. This also makes it easier to supply relatives with copies.
                            That's a good ideal. My father is also deceased and I would be very upset if I ever lost track of the pics that I have of him. I'm going to start working on that. Thanks for the ideal!!

Comment

I'll have to go along with the others and say photo albums. I mean, if it were up to me, I'd take my 1903 baby grand piano! But I don't think I could slip that out the front door while my shirt's on fire!

Overall, I hope to God that I'm never in a situation where I'd have to ask myself that question.
                              If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3681 users online. 275 members and 3406 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X