Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cop Sues Family of Brain-Damaged Tot (Foxnews.com)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop Sues Family of Brain-Damaged Tot (Foxnews.com)

CASSELBERRY, Fla. — A police officer who slipped and injured a knee responding to a toddler's near-drowning has sued the family of the 1-year-old boy, who suffered brain damage and can no longer walk, talk or swallow.

Casselberry Sgt. Andrea Eichhorn alleges Joey Cosmillo's family left a puddle of water on the floor, causing her fall during the rescue efforts. She broke her knee and missed two months of work.

The boy fell into the pool outside the family's home in suburban Orlando in January and now lives in a nursing home and eats and breathes through tubes.

"The loss we've suffered, and she's seeking money?" said Richard Cosmillo, 69, the boy's grandfather, who lived in the home with his wife and the boy's mother. "Of course there's going to be water in the house. He was sopping wet when we brought him in."

Eichhorn's attorney, David Heil, said she has persistent knee pain and will likely develop arthritis. He said city benefits paid by workers' compensation and some disability checks helped with medical bills, but it wasn't enough.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages.

"It's a situation where the Cosmillos have caused these problems, brought them on themselves, then tried to play the victim," Heil said.

Eichhorn's personnel file includes numerous commendations. The 12-year veteran has worked as a hostage negotiator and prostitution decoy and wrestled razors away from a suicidal person.

Police Chief John Pavlis said Eichhorn was a good officer, though he urged her not to sue.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    (The latest report indicates that the suit has been dropped.)

So what do you think? Should a LEO file suit in this situation?

IMHO, we assume greater risks in the performance of our official duties and accept that fact as part of our office. I believe that this suit was initiated by emotion and common sense was set aside. I hope this doesn't leave yet another blak mark on our profession.
    "If You Don't Live For Something ...
    ... You'll Die For Nothing."

I'D RATHER BE JUDGED BY 12 - THAN CARRIED BY 6.

John 15:13 ~ Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

of course the floor would be wet

Oh wow.

I think that's unconscionable. I'm sure a broken knee hurt and all but to make a claim through a sleazy lawyer that she will 'likely develop arthritis' is low. Lawyers are ruining America one junk lawsuit after another... That police officer should be ashamed for looking for a payout from that poor family, especially since other insurance is already available.

Comment

There is already another thread on this one
      "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74994

Here you go.
        "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Comment

Thanks js. I looked but I couldn't find it. Tim can pull this one if he wants.
          "If You Don't Live For Something ...
          ... You'll Die For Nothing."

I'D RATHER BE JUDGED BY 12 - THAN CARRIED BY 6.

John 15:13 ~ Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Glad to help.

Scott

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7481 users online. 366 members and 7115 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
            X