300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooklyn Detective found noose hanging over his locker

A Brooklyn detective says he found a noose hanging over his locker at an Emergency Service
    Unit squad - which some cops allegedly call the "Slave Ship" because of the large number of
    black officers assigned there.

Gregory Anderson, 45, a former Marine who served in Operation Desert Storm, has filed a
    federal suit claiming he was run out of the unit after he complained about racial discrimination
    at Squad 8 in Williamsburg.

Anderson, a 14-year veteran, claims his partner, who also is black, was called a "n-----" by
    a white cop. Anderson also says he was denied overtime tours because of his race.

He said the worst incident took place May 12, 2001, when he found the noose.

"It was no joke because a noose represents hatred," Anderson said. "It represents a period of
    African-American history that is very painful."

Anderson said the nooses recently found at Columbia University and a Hempstead, L.I., police
    station stirred up his feelings of revulsion.

"I think my career in the NYPD is over but I'm going to stand my ground," he said.

Anderson said white cops referred to Squad 8 as the "Slave Ship" because there may have
    been more African-American cops assigned there than in other ESU units. A black sergeant
    assigned to Squad 8, Rodney Gillis, died on 9/11 when the World Trade Center collapsed.

"I'll never forget my last evaluation from [Gillis] in which he said I was an inspiration to
    emergency service," Anderson said.

His lawyer Eric Sanders, of the firm of Jeffrey L. Goldberg in Lake Success, L.I., said the
    detective told a supervisor about the noose and alerted the NYPD office of equal employment
    opportunity.

Sanders said he doesn't know what happened to the internal investigation.

A spokeswoman for the city Law Department said the federal suit is being "thoroughly evaluated."
    The spokeswoman declined to comment further.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007...und_a_han.html

Typical Cowards

Maybe he can sue and retire.
    A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

I have no tolerance for racists or their actions, especially in this profession. If his allegations are true, and I believe they probably are, I hope he wins big.

Comment

Originally posted by SddR70 View Post
        I have no tolerance for racists or their actions, especially in this profession. If his allegations are true, and I believe they probably are, I hope he wins big.
        +1....

Comment

I guess the noose thing is the new thrend, there was another one found in another officers locker not to far away, it was found in the locker room of Hempstead PD in Nassau County. Also in front of a teachers room in Columbia Univ. You wouldn't think things like this would happen here in NY but guess we were wrong.
          "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

WTF? I just don't get it. I absolutely don't get it. ESU guys, especially, should be WAY above this kind of crap.
            \

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
              WTF? I just don't get it. I absolutely don't get it. ESU guys, especially, should be WAY above this kind of crap.
              Everyone should be above this, but hey, we're still dealing with human beings (loosely used term). It's unfortunate that we as a species have not advanced in the entire history of our existence.
              A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Contact View Post
                Everyone should be above this, but hey, we're still dealing with human beings (loosely used term). It's unfortunate that we as a species have not advanced in the entire history of our existence.
                It's even more unfortunate that we never will.

As said before, I hope he wins big time with this. Behavior of this nature can't be tolerated.
                sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately, it may be prevelant there. I read some threads by NY officers and NJ officers. It was repulsive the things they posted.

It also kept me from transfering there. I know a couple of cops from the area there and they as well suggested that I not apply, being a minority.

Everyone has a right to think and believe what they want. But, the thought of a brother or sister in blue with those thoughts and behaviors chills me to the bone. That kind of hatred behind the badge..!!!????

How can they be effective in dealing with the public and keeping the image of the dept from being dragged through the mud? Everybody on the dept would have to pay the price for their hatred.

Comment

Wow... I know it's naieve of me but reading that actually surprised me. It is so sad that something like that would happen inside the dept. As some others have said, I hope he wins and wins big!

They may hang nooses and generally act like morons but I bet they don't complain when the #*%& hits the fan and they're yelling for backup and 3 or 4 minority officers show up. I doubt they would be saying "You know what, I think I'll wait for some white officers to show up."

Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by John2008 View Post
                      You wouldn't think things like this would happen here in NY but guess we were wrong.
                      True, big sophisticated NYC, who would have thunk it. Then again every time a Haitian in NYC sees a cop he starts looking for the plunger
                      A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                        Are you kidding? ESU (SWAT, SOT, whatever...) are some of the most cliqueish, macho, territorial guys out there. That would be the 1st place I'd expect it on a PD.
                        Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

"I have no tolerance for racists or their actions, especially in this profession. If his allegations are true, and I believe they probably are, I hope he wins big."

Agree with you 100%. We, as police, get enough BS complaints directed towards us about racial profiling and harassment that we know are not true; how sad that officers do it to each other. If true, this action demeans all of us.

Comment

I laughed at the "slave ship" name. We have a little more tasteful names for the places we hate at my job. "The Iceberg" "Dungeon" etc.

It's not cool though. Many understand it is just a joke but to some it really does hit a nerve. We shouldn't forget the incredible tragedy of the slave trade (all of them) and their effects on the victims and their families. In the case of Africans those ships were packed far beyond normal capacity with people defecating, urinating, vomiting all over each other and themselves with no recourse. They simply lived or died and it's horrible to think about.
                            -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
                              Are you kidding? ESU (SWAT, SOT, whatever...) are some of the most cliqueish, macho, territorial guys out there. That would be the 1st place I'd expect it on a PD.
                              While I agree that tac guys do tend to be very cliquish, etc, I've never encountered racism like this amongst ANY of the many teams I've worked with. The tac guys I know are more concerned about people meeting the standard then what color they are.
                              \

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4004 users online. 219 members and 3785 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X