Deputy rebuffed before shooting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deputy rebuffed before shooting

CRANDON, Wis. - A young sheriff’s deputy who opened fire on a pizza party and killed six people reportedly flew into a rage when he was rebuffed by his old girlfriend and others at the gathering called him a “worthless pig.”

A longtime friend told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Monday that 20-year-old Tyler Peterson came to his door in the hours after the rampage and calmly explained what he had done.

“He wasn’t running around crazy or anything. He was very, very sorry for what he did,” Mike Kegley told the newspaper, adding that he gave Peterson coffee and food and later called 911.

Peterson told Kegley that he had gone to his ex-girlfriend’s house early Sunday morning in hopes of patching up the relationship after a recent breakup. But, he said, Peterson lost control when the meeting ended in an argument and other people started ridiculing him as a “worthless pig.”

Kegley declined to comment when reached by The Associated Press.

Police, who declined to provide details of the argument, said Peterson stormed out, retrieved an AR-15 rifle from his car outside and burst back into the house firing 30 shots that killed all but one of the people at the party.

“We had no idea, obviously, that anything like this would ever occur,” Crandon Police Chief John Dennee said at a news conference Monday.

Peterson, a deputy and part-time police officer, later died after exchanging gunfire with law enforcement officers. Whether Peterson was shot by police or took his own life was unclear.

Community: Why hire so young?
    The rampage raised questions in the remote northern Wisconsin community of 2,000 about how Peterson could have met requirements to become a law enforcement officer, especially after police acknowledged Monday that Peterson received no psychological screening before he was hired.

Some questioned the wisdom of hiring someone so young.

“No person that I’ve ever known at 20 years old was responsible enough to be a police officer,” said Steve Bocek, of Oak Creek, whose nephew Bradley Schultz was killed. “It’s unbelievable. You don’t have the mind to be a police officer. It takes a lot.”

But Crandon city attorney Lindsay Erickson said age doesn’t matter as long as officers do their jobs well. Peterson testified for her in several cases. He wrote good reports and was “true to his job,” she said.

“From what I saw of him, I didn’t see any warning signs or red flags,” Erickson said.

Shooter was hired when he was 19
    Peterson was hired as full-time deputy sheriff on Sept. 11, 2006, at the age of 19, according to personnel records released by the Forest County clerk. His yearlong probation ended last month.

Dr. Phil Trompetter, a police psychologist in Modesto, Calif., estimated at least 80 percent of states require psychological testing of prospective officers.

“Wisconsin must be in a very small minority of states,” he said.

The Wisconsin Department of Justice Law Enforcement Standards Board requires only that applicants be free of any emotional or mental condition that might hinder them in their duties. It does not say how that is determined.

No nationwide standards
    No formal national standards exist for hiring police, although individual states are adopting requirements such as mandatory psychological tests, said Craig Zendzian, author of several guidebooks for police applicants.

In Minnesota, for example, police officers must be licensed by the state Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training — a process that includes an evaluation by a licensed psychologist.

At the news conference, which gave the most detailed explanation yet of the shooting, the police chief said Peterson and the young woman had been in a relationship for a few years.

“They had broken up and gone back and forth,” Dennee said.

After the attack, in phone conversations with the police chief and others, Peterson identified himself as the shooter, authorities said.

The rifle used in the shootings is the type used by the sheriff’s department, but investigators had not confirmed whether the gun came from law enforcement.

Classes canceled as students mourn
    The six young people killed in the rampage were either students or graduates of Crandon High School. They were at the house to share pizza and watch movies during the school’s homecoming weekend. Classes were canceled Monday, and many teens went to a church to meet with counselors.

The other victims were identified as Jordanne Murray, who was believed to be the girlfriend; Katrina McCorkle; Leanna Thomas; Aaron Smith; and Lindsey Stahl. Autopsies were scheduled to be completed Monday, but results were not immediately available.

Schultz, 20, was a third-year criminal justice major at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee who hoped to be a homicide detective. He was home visiting friends and appeared to have died trying to protect one.

“We still don’t have many details, but from what they’ve told us, there was a girl next to him and he was covering her, protecting her,” said an aunt, Sharon Pisarek, as she sobbed. “He was loved by everybody. He was everybody’s son. Senseless.”

The lone survivor, Charlie Neitzel, 21, of Pickerel, was upgraded to serious condition and was improving Monday at a hospital.

Pastor Bill Farr read a statement from Peterson’s family in which relatives expressed their shock and sorrow.

“Our hearts go out to the victims, their families and their friends. We are grieving for your losses. We feel a tremendous amount of guilt and shame for the acts Tyler committed,” it said.

It continued: “We may never receive the answers we all seek. Like those close to Tyler we are in shock and disbelief that he would do such terrible things. This was not the Tyler we knew and loved.”
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21181488/page/2/
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

Obviously this is a very messed up situation and my deepest condolences go out to the families of the victims. There is a bad apple in every bunch...cops are no different. The screening process (or lack thereof) failed us in this case. However, I believe screening process is better than it has ever been, especially for the medium to large departments. Would a Psych eval have helped in this case and weeded the psychco out...we'll never know.
      Walking the line...all give some...some give all!

Comment

A ticked off ex-lover went on a killing rampage. How is the fact that he was a cop even relevant?

Even if it turns out that it was a department firearm it is still something he could've purchased legally without any psychological exam. He met the age requirements both for a police officer and a rifle owner.

Comment

I agree with both of you two. Its a very messed up situation, and it was a love triangle, no need to drag this (or any other) profession) in to it.

secondly, a psych exam may OR may not have showed that he could do this. Sadly, there are alot more unanswered question then answered, and we prolly wont get those answers.

the fact that he did show remorse and did take ownership says alot about him before he was killed.
          Still....sad..just sad.
          Oscar Wilde

Comment

!!
            At least he didn't drive a 1000 miles in a diaper to do it.
            Oscar Wilde

Comment

wow, 19 IS young to be a sworn deputy. I thought you had to be 21 nation wide to carry a handgun. And also 21 to be a police officer.

Regurdless, you cant blame this on age. I know people like 60 thats to inmature to be police officer

Comment

The 21 thing with handguns is to PURCHASE one. You may POSSESS a handgun at 18.

I agree with Feanor. This guy happened to be a cop - as far as I'm concerned he stop being on the moment he decided to start pulling that trigger.

With the information I've heard thus far, his job had NOTHING to do with this incident.
                For every one hundred men you send us,
                Ten should not even be here.
                Eighty are nothing but targets.
                Nine of them are real fighters;
                We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
                Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
                And he will bring the others back.

Comment

I have no problem with the fact of this man's age and that he was an LEO/PO - I celebrated my 20th birthday almost a month and a half after I graduated from my Academy and was out working and living far from my family. One of my son's also entered the Academy last year and joined my Force this past February, and then turned 21 in early March.

My Force now requires our applicants to complete a VERY detailed pre-polygraph questionaire, as well as submit to a polygraph test, plus be interviewed by a current, or retired-and-on-contract, Regular Member of my Force so they can be evaluated to see if they are a good "fit" for us.

What bothers me about this man's pre-rampage situation, however, was the fact that he was working full-time for one Agency, and part-time for another one, which I take it he was doing just to be able to earn a decent wage. Now THAT is not right, and I feel very badly for all of you USA LEO/PO that are in the same boat.
                  #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                  Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                  RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                  Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                  "Smile" - no!

Comment

UNBELIEVABLE... This is indeed a tragedy for all.
                    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by (S)Sgt Elmer View Post

With the information I've heard thus far, his job had NOTHING to do with this incident.
                      DING DING DING

just another way the medi has choosen to bash LE.
                      Oscar Wilde

Comment

Or...

...it could be that it's newsworthy when a police officer commits a crime, especially one as heinous as this one.

There are plenty of opportunities for legitimate media-bashing, but I don't think this is one of them.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10696 users online. 413 members and 10283 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                        X