Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop dies of 40 year old gun shot wound

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294086,00.html

What are your thoughts? Charge him with murder or leave it alone?

Try him, convict him and kill him.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

im with trooper. it's murder now.

Comment

I am reminded of our own Trooper Henry Noel Harmon whom I got to meet once, he too was forever crippled up because of a shot to the back of his neck.

As 1042 said,
        Try him, convict him and kill him.
        After all, he hasn't been a paraplegic all these years, he hasn't been limited in his activities beyond the results of his own criminality, he has enjoyed life as well as he wanted to.

High time to ante up.

(ps ... from story ... "Lawyers asked about the case said prosecutors would be on solid legal ground to charge Barnes")
        Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 08-23-2007, 11:57 AM.
        "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

In Ca the victim has to die with in a year of the assault to bump the charge up to murder
          Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

If they can charge him with it, I say they should. Guys needs to feel justice.
            I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

Would we have charged him with murder if he died a few weeks after he was shot?????? Yes.

Would we have charged him with murder if evidence didn't link him to the crime as a suspect for this many years and suddenly we realized he did it? Yes.

Charge the scum. Convict the scum. Sentence the scum.
              Space for rent .........

Comment

Yes, they can charge him.

But on the news they are saying word is it would be hard to prove as a "murder" case.

Comment

Originally posted by iMarkVideo View Post
                  http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294086,00.html

What are your thoughts? Charge him with murder or leave it alone?
                  Won't this be argued as double jeopardy?

Was he initially charged with first degree assault?

How likely will a conviction be?

Has the perpetrator lived a productive, crime free life since getting out of prison? That would color the jury and getting a conviction could be tricky.

Just some thoughts...

Life begins at 40...

Comment

Won't this be argued as double jeopardy?
                    Well, considering that at the time he was originally charged, the officer was still alive, so he couldn't have been charged with murder then. And double jeopardy only applies to be tried for the SAME crime twice. Therefore, because he wasn't originally tried for homicide, I wouldn't think this would qualify as double jeopardy, and therefore he could be tried for murder now.
                    LA DEP: Obvious case of suicide.....shot twice in the back of the head with a bolt action rifle....
                    CruiserClass: I took a nap today. It was such a great nap I felt the urge to share my nap with the officer.com world. It was that good of a nap.

That's it. Go check other threads were exciting topics are being discussed, this was seriously just about a really comforting and invigorating 35 minute nap. Move along, nothing else to see here, move along.

Comment

Charge him. Had the officer been killed 40 years ago, this guy would still be in prison.

It is my understanding this officer did not have such an easy go at life after the shooting.

He may be reformed and a nice guy, but he's a cop killer and he needs to pay his debt to society.

Comment

In most states, the victim has to die within a year. There is no way in hell that they'd ever be able to bring a murder charge against this guy.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

He shot the gun. if it takes 50 years to die from it, its still murder.
                          sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

PC 194: Victim must die within three years and a day

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                            In Ca the victim has to die with in a year of the assault to bump the charge up to murder
                            I believe under Calfornia (under PC 194) to charge either Murder or Manslaughter, the victim must die within three years and a day. Other states probably address the issue differently, but (IMO) any way you look at it the defendant should have received a stiffer sentence than the 10-20 years he received. The officer ended up in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. The defendant should have ended up in prison for the rest of his.
                            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Update

The shooter is now in jail, charged with murder.

Because the victim was in a wheelchair all those years, in severe pain, and never fully recovered from his injuries, and also died from an infection related to the injuries, the shooter is being charged.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11620 users online. 508 members and 11112 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X