300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmmmmm....beer bread!!!!

What brand do you use, Royce? I've found that Michelob and Miller brands are too strong. Busch and Bud light have worked the best. I'm dying to try some Sam Adams, but I can't force myself to sacrifice such a noble soldier!

Sam would be willing to do his part. You know you want to. Give it a try. Even if he is lost, it would be for a noble cause.

[ 05-19-2002: Message edited by: Evnings ]
    RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

Lawdog
      The recipes that I use call for a any "bold hearty brand". Like one will use Guinness stout or Busch. You can use what you like really.
      Bread making takes time, it's a art actually. I bought a couple of books on bread making.

I see you've experimented yourself

These I 've tryed, there pretty basic:

Beer Rye Bread
      2 cups reconstituted nonfat milk
      1/3 cup molasses
      1/4 cup applesauce
      10 oz. warm beer
      2 tbsp yeast
      4 cups rye flour
      3 cups ww flour
      3+ cups bread flour

Warm up the milk, (not steaming hot, just warm)Put the milk in a large bowl, then add the next stuff below:

molasses,beer,yeast and the applesauce and mix that all together.

Add ww flour and one cup bread flour;
      cover with a plate to let it rise, let sit for 30 minutes. Stir down, add remaining
      flour, knead about 10 to 12 minutes, adding flour as necessary.

Place in warm spot and cover for 45 minutes.

Punch down, put in nonstick loaf pans, let rise 50 minutes.

Bake at 375F for 45 minutes, put foil on top for last 10 minutes.

Basic beer batter bread. The ingreds.. vary sometimes. It could be just flour, sugar and beer.
      3 cups flour
      1 tablespoon baking powder
      3 tablespoons sugar
      1 tsp. salt
      1 12-oz. of beer at room temperature
      1/4 cup unsalted (melted) butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In large bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Add all the beer.

The batter should be lumpy when your done, don't over mix it! Just mix to incoperate the ingreds... till there all together..

Pour into a 9x5x3" loaf pan, brush the top with the butter. Bake about 40 min.

What do I do with any left over beer??? hee hee

Yup, you guessed it! put it in my garden in a shallow tray to kill the slugs!
      Royce is a Lady

Comment

Yes..Yes.. I know what everybody else would do with the beer
        Royce is a Lady

Comment

The second recipe is the one I follow. It's great with a steaming bowl of chili or beef stew. However, it usually takes more than a 12 oz for me...you know, a little for the recipe, a little for the cook...a little for the recipe, a little more for the cook .

Comment

You've been watchen to much of that Cajun cook guy, haven't you???

Hoooooooo Weeeeeeeeeeee! that sure is good!
            Royce is a Lady

Comment

I garrontee!!!

Comment

You've been watchen to much of that Cajun cook guy, haven't you???
                Sadly, he passed away a while back.

Comment

Yeah, there's no direct substitute for him, but we do have Emeril now!

Comment

I didn't know the Cajun cook passed away. I used to watch him when I had cable.

Emeril! now he's the man! I watch the Iron Chef too!

By the way;
                    Emeril say's you can use any kind of beer you want in bread making, lawdog.
                    Royce is a Lady

Comment

Originally posted by Royce:
                      By the way;
                      Emeril say's you can use any kind of beer you want in bread making, lawdog.
                      Well I would HATE to see you use "recycled" beer!
                      6P1 (retired)

Comment

God...i love Sam...

i buy a mix that ALL you add to it is a bottle of beer. you pour it all into a loaf pan and bake it...its fantastic. i have sent mixes to an email buddy and he's crazy for them.

all i have ever sacrificed in making it was some old Bud from the back of the fridge

and that Cajun Cook...i heard he ate too many on-yawwwnnns...
                        "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

Well I would HATE to see you use "recycled" beer!
                          As usual you have managed to ******(pun intended) on this post, Don

[ 05-19-2002: Message edited by: Royce ]
                          Royce is a Lady

Comment

You all must be talking about Justin Wilson the old man the cajun cook. My daughter makes bread all the time. I'm going to get her to try that receipe. Emeril is OK but he not naturally from New Orleans. He's got our receipes under control however. We don't measure things down here however it's a dash of this and a little of that.
                            Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

Joseph,
                              I don't think anybody was implying he was from New Orleans, I think were saying that he's a good cook, that's all.

Actually, Emeril Lagasse grew up in Massachusetts.
                              Royce is a Lady

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3333 users online. 188 members and 3145 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X