300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOP emblems- do you or don't you?

I was curious to see how many LEO's or their spouses have the FOP membership emblem & sticker on their cars. My neighbor has the FOP license plate. My husband and I and other SO neighbor prefer not to "advertise". Just wanting to see what others do. Thanks.

I used to, now I do not. I removed everything but a small "thin blue line" sticker from my and my wife's vehicles a few years ago. Now everyone and thier dog has the TBL sticker so that's gone, too.

IMHO, it's better to be pulled over and lose a few minutes ID'ing yourself than to have some nutjob shoot up your house or car.
    "Patrolling the Idiocracy"

Comment

I don't put anything on my car that associates me with law enforcement. I think as time passes I get more paranoid, but that equates to being more careful. When I'm off-duty I definitely just want to "blend in". If something happens where I have to identify myself, that's why I carry a badge wallet.

Comment

I think that they are useless. Everyone and their brother has one - more than there are cops if you ask me. It is just an invitation to get your car screwed with.

Also, I hate them because I seem to stop quite a few cars sporting them for severe speeding. It sends a BAD message to the general public.
        Space for rent .........

Comment

FOP here is just a bar with some public service stuff like soft ball games- have no desire to put them on my car.
          "When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power ... like God must feel when he's holding a gun. " Homer Simpson

sigpic

Comment

Back in the day when I lived in NJ, they had a plastic FOP badge with a serial# that you displayed in your window. And a triangle NJST sticker. I had both on my car. Cops took them seriously in the 80's when I lived in NJ. Back then if I was doing 80 in a 55, a ST would pull up next to me and just give the back off hand signal and wave. Never got pulled over. I suppose things are different these days.

I also had a FOP card in my wallet. It was good to get out of one ticket. It said on the back of the card that I was a good respectful driver and signed by the issuing cop. A cop would take the FOP card in leu of a ticket and say have a nice day. That was the protocol back then.....at least in NJ. (Any NJ old timers out there?) Now I hear FOP or any other stuff you have issued from unions or police if you are not a LEO don't mean SH*T.

Comment

Here in VA, you can actually get F.O.P. vanity license plates. They have the little symbol on the left side - followed by a four digit number and the letters "FP" to the right.

You do have to be an active member, though, in order to get one for your car. (Ironically, you will see a lot of these chaps driving a wee bit fast.)

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I have the thin blue line on my car, but in an obscure spot that only an Officer may or may not see as they approach my vehicle. The finance has a "Junior (insert my agency name here) Police Officer" badge sticker on her windshield. I had one of those in my pocket one day and trying to figure out what to do with it till my finance's car came into sight. ;P
                You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

I thought about getting a thin blue line sticker for my car but decided not to because I don't want some idiot to mess with it. On my old vehicle I had a FOP sticker and somebody decided to draw lines through it (it washed right off, though). I'd rather just carry identification on me if ever needed rather than to advertise who I am and what I'm involved with these days.
                  *Honor*Integrity*Courage*Loyalty*Attitude*Discipline*Service*

The mission of the Delaware State Police is to enhance to quality of life for all Delaware citizens and visitors by providing professional, competent and compassionate law enforcement services.

"...it's not just a job, it's a career."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Here in VA, you can actually get F.O.P. vanity license plates. They have the little symbol on the left side - followed by a four digit number and the letters "FP" to the right.

You do have to be an active member, though, in order to get one for your car. (Ironically, you will see a lot of these chaps driving a wee bit fast.)
                    I have the VA FOP plates and the DMV required me to have a valid ACTIVE member FOP card. They photocopied it, sent it and my registration information off. Then my plates were to be mailed to me. Possibly that not every DMV is practicing this process. Here in Northern VA they are strict about having/issuing them.

In fact, when I lived in Tennessee, the local lodge had to write a letter with the FOP Seal on it confirming that I was eligible to receive these plates before they would issue. I suppose it is different in each place.
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. T E Lawrence

Comment

My retired "10-42 End of Watch" license plate frames sell pretty good to retired guys, but like many, advertizing, especially for an active cop in a less than supportive environment, probably is asking for vandalizim at best.
                      The All New
                      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Never have, never will. Why advertise? There is a thread on this somewhere if you want to go digging for it.

Comment

Nope. Don't advertise.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

As my wife stated, we don't "advertise". She just got a new car and I'd hate to see it keyed due to the FOP emblem on it. If she gets pulled over, she deserves the ticket, so do I.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5602 users online. 350 members and 5252 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X