300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3k Traffic fines in Virgina!

Beginning Sunday, Virginia is adding new civil charges to traffic fines. They range from $750 to $3,000 and will be added to existing fines and court costs. The civil penalty for going 20 mph over the speed limit will be $1,050, plus $61 in court costs and a fine that is typically about $200.
    Full story:
    http://news.aol.com/story/_a/virgini...00010000000001
    This is insane who came up with it?
    64.86%
    It's ok, it will only help.
    35.14%
    “There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponded to the advantage of others.” -Niccolo Machiavelli

Depends on how ch more it costs to do a 'reasonable' over- likie how much will it be for a 5 over or a 10 over- if its $750 more for doing 65 in a 60 - I think thats a little much-
    Updated on: 12/28/09

Comment

and also Im woindering if this does not border the amendment of no unreasonable fines and penalties- is $3,000 fine for speeding- a civil crime- reasonable?

I think not enforcing it on out of state people is borderline discrimination- not really- it could be considered a price you pay for living in VA

And I think with the objective it is ment for being so very front and to the point- that it might should be a temporary increase- untill the states coffers are well again.

At least make the 3K tax deductable! :P
      Updated on: 12/28/09

Comment

"Another difference: The civil penalties apply only to Virginia residents, not out-of-state drivers." Selective enforcement = no good

Comment

While some of the fines are a bit much (failure to use proper signal), the majority of them are for things that people should know not to do anyways. For example: DUI, Leaving the scene of a accident, Driving on suspended, etc.

I live in VA... and although I might be a bit skeptical, I don't think it's going to be that bad. If nothing else, there are so many drivers from other states out there, that it will make the VA drivers blend in better.

Besides, I've always thought that the best way to get people in this country to drive better, would be to get MORE strict on the rules, not less. But that's just my 2 cents.
          "De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"

Comment

Here is what USA Today had to say:

Virginia to issue traffic fines as high as $3,000

VIRGINIA TRAFFIC FINES

Virginia will institute "civil remedial fees" for Virginia residents who commit driving violations. These are on top of other fines imposed by state law. Some of the new fees:

Fee (made over three payments)

• Driving on a suspended license: $750

• Reckless driving (such as aggressive driving): $1,050

• Driving under the influence and related offenses: $2,250

• Felony convictions (such as leaving an accident scene): $3,000

Source: Virginia court system

By Dennis Cauchon, USA TODAY
            Virginia is for lovers, or so the state slogan has declared since 1969. Starting Sunday, Virginia also will be the home of the $3,000 traffic ticket.
            In an effort to raise money for road projects, the state will start hitting residents who commit serious traffic offenses with huge civil penalties.

The new civil charges will range from $750 to $3,000 and be added to existing fines and court costs. The civil penalty for going 20 mph over the speed limit will be $1,050, plus $61 in court costs and a fine that is typically about $200.

Virginia's traffic law is one of several thousand new state laws that take effect Sunday. Jan. 1 and July 1 are the most popular dates for state laws to become official.

July 1 is especially popular for new taxes and fees because it's the start of the budget year in 46 states. For example, Arkansas will cut its sales tax on groceries from 6% to 3% Sunday.

Virginia's new traffic penalties are expected to raise $65 million a year and are part of an effort to improve the state's roads without raising taxes.

A first-time drunken driver will face a $2,250 civil penalty, plus fines and court costs that typically run about $500 or more. Driving without a license? That's a mandatory $900 civil penalty, in addition to the ordinary $100 for a fine and court costs.

"It's outrageous," says traffic court attorney Thaddeus Furlong of Springfield, Va. "When Mr. and Mrs. Middle Class find out what they have to pay, there's going to be a backlash like you've never seen."

Some other states impose extra civil penalties for traffic offenses, but the cost is usually $100 or $200, Furlong says. "What sets this apart is the Draconian size of the civil penalties," he says.

Another difference: The civil penalties apply only to Virginia residents, not out-of-state drivers. Virginians must pay in three installments over 26 months or lose their licenses. The state Legislature didn't think it could enforce the extra penalties in other states.

Motorist club AAA Mid-Atlantic supports the new penalties.

"These penalties are harsh, but normal fines haven't gotten people to drive sanely. Maybe this will," says Lon Anderson, spokesman for AAA Mid-Atlantic.

He says the new law will help reduce the nearly 1,000 traffic deaths the state records annually.

"We wish motorists didn't have to pay more, but the fact is Virginia's transportation trust fund is broke," Anderson says.
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

3K Fines in Virginia

100% for it in cases such as DUI, Leaving the scene of an accident, Reckless Driving, Fleeing and Eluding, or using a motor vehicle in the commission of a felony.

Comment

"Fees", not "Fines".

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                Here is what USA Today had to say:

Virginia to issue traffic fines as high as $3,000

VIRGINIA TRAFFIC FINES

Virginia will institute "civil remedial fees" for Virginia residents who commit driving violations. These are on top of other fines imposed by state law. Some of the new fees:

By Dennis Cauchon, USA TODAY
                Virginia is for lovers, or so the state slogan has declared since 1969. Starting Sunday, Virginia also will be the home of the $3,000 traffic ticket.
                In an effort to raise money for road projects, the state will start hitting residents who commit serious traffic offenses with huge civil penalties.

The new civil charges will range from $750 to $3,000 and be added to existing fines and court costs. The civil penalty for going 20 mph over the speed limit will be $1,050, plus $61 in court costs and a fine that is typically about $200.

Virginia's traffic law is one of several thousand new state laws that take effect Sunday. Jan. 1 and July 1 are the most popular dates for state laws to become official.

July 1 is especially popular for new taxes and fees because it's the start of the budget year in 46 states. For example, Arkansas will cut its sales tax on groceries from 6% to 3% Sunday.

Virginia's new traffic penalties are expected to raise $65 million a year and are part of an effort to improve the state's roads without raising taxes.

A first-time drunken driver will face a $2,250 civil penalty, plus fines and court costs that typically run about $500 or more. Driving without a license? That's a mandatory $900 civil penalty, in addition to the ordinary $100 for a fine and court costs.

"It's outrageous," says traffic court attorney Thaddeus Furlong of Springfield, Va. "When Mr. and Mrs. Middle Class find out what they have to pay, there's going to be a backlash like you've never seen."

Some other states impose extra civil penalties for traffic offenses, but the cost is usually $100 or $200, Furlong says. "What sets this apart is the Draconian size of the civil penalties," he says.

Another difference: The civil penalties apply only to Virginia residents, not out-of-state drivers. Virginians must pay in three installments over 26 months or lose their licenses. The state Legislature didn't think it could enforce the extra penalties in other states.

Motorist club AAA Mid-Atlantic supports the new penalties.

"These penalties are harsh, but normal fines haven't gotten people to drive sanely. Maybe this will," says Lon Anderson, spokesman for AAA Mid-Atlantic.

He says the new law will help reduce the nearly 1,000 traffic deaths the state records annually.

"We wish motorists didn't have to pay more, but the fact is Virginia's transportation trust fund is broke," Anderson says.

There is also a $900 fee, a "catch 22" if you will, for any traffic related violation of 18.2 or 46.2 not covered by the above penalties. As I read it, a simple 13 mph over the limit speeding ticket is $900 (3 payments, $300 each) as is a stop sign or lane change violation, etc. First installmentis collected at court at conviction, and a court order issued to pay second at 14 months and third at 26 months. A motorist charged with two or more violations suffers cummalative penalties. These all are in adition to normal fines and the court's costs, part of which ... a "courthouse maintenance fee" went up from $5 to $10 per charge also.

Haven't seen it in action in a court room yet, will see that in August when my "after July 1 customers" have their day in court. Please allow for some error in my post then, as we just got it in writing last week our ownselves. I'm not too disturbed myself as there is a way for any Va. licensed motorist to opt out of it .... by simply paying attention, and by practicing observance of law & obeyance to it while on Va. highways.

When word gets out, I can see one of two scenarios. The safe and courteous drivers ... and the suspended hardheads easily identifiable by their continued flaunting of law....

You drivers from outside Va. listen up, already there is word that the legislature is going to look at ways to apply simular type fees to all motorist on Va. highways next year, there was some question raised this year as to authority to do so .... but after a year of angry Va. licensed voters phone calls, .... if there's a way, they will.

We gonna build some nice roads though!
                Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 07-02-2007, 05:57 PM.
                "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

They should be able to pave our roads with 14k gold now, huh?

Anyway, calling it a fee, a fine or a tax really doesn't matter. Perhaps the term "penalty" could be used universally, eh?

You know that if DMV is responsible for collecting the extra revenue, they'll find a way to get it. Those folks don't mess around!
                  Last edited by VA Dutch; 07-02-2007, 03:27 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

They should be able to pave our roads with 14k gold now, huh?
                    Not saying it's fair, not saying I like the idea, not saying it's what I would have liked to see done to solve the problem .... but it is what it is. Price a lightweight driveway and then extrapolate the figure to a heavy duty based interstate or main highway to replace or repair that which was laid maybe 50-70 years ago and patched up over the years.

$$$$

I suspect you'll see simular happenings in other states soon, maybe even almost too soon.

Anyway, calling it a fee, a fine or a tax really doesn't matter. Perhaps the term "penalty" could be used universally, eh?
                    If the term used doesn't matter, why not call it by it's correct term .... "fee"? I'll think it's because popular press wants to color it as an unfair penalty to sell news time.
                    A fee is a set amount charged. A fine is a punitive penalty meant to discourage. A reward would have an opposing effect.

You know that if DMV is responsible for collecting the extra revenue, they'll find a way to get it. Those folks don't mess around!
                    "Tha'srightdriver".

Take care .........
                    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

I am completely for these fines since many are barely a slap on the hand. I can not wait until texas adds these fines. I want drunk drivers to fear being pulled over and i want people who hit and run to remember their mistake.
                      “There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponded to the advantage of others.” -Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

I voted for "Insane, who came up with this?" because I'd rather just see more freedom given to judges to impose fines rather than a blanket system like this seems to be.

... and as for who came up with this? The senior partner in a law firm that specializes in traffic law

I kid you not, State Delegate David Albo is senior partner in Albo & Oblon, http://www.albo-oblon.com/, which specializes in (5th one down) "Serious Traffic Law (such as DUI/DWI) in Virginia and D.C."

Come on, I can't be the only guy who has a problem with a bill proposed by someone who stands to benefit financially from it?
                        Last edited by Dolmen; 07-03-2007, 03:46 AM.
                        Mankind shall not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Dithyrambe Sur La Fête Des Rois -- Denis Diderot (1713 - 1784)

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post

Looks good to me...wish we had it.
                          The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
                          Ronald Reagan

Comment

Well, hopefully this means 64 will be less patchy and more flat!!!! I know a lot of you Troopers are getting sick of cleaning people off of 64 (especially on bikes) because of the crappy roads!!! Hey maybe insurance rates will drop some because of better driving skills?
                            dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

This isn't going to work...the end result will be me spending a WHOLE lot more time in circuit court for appeals....and a bunch of suspended drivers.

People get suspended constantly for failing to pay fines as it is...let alone when they triple the amount

Typical political response.....
                              Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7745 users online. 392 members and 7353 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X