300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felt like I made a mistake

Long story short, I was given a TO for an 1811 position but i declined it because i got cold feet. Am currently a CPA and I currently have a great job with stability, pension, W/L balance, job security with OK pay. My boss is great and no micromanagement whatsoever. I just got double minded and couldnt make a decision. And secondly, I know 1811 is very much cop/investigation work (which i like). But i worked my tail off for the CPA and wasnt sure if I wanted leave behind all the skills i built up with it either. I got nervous when I had to decide if to leave behind the great thing i got going here and go for it or not. Im kicking myself now for not going through with it especially realizing how coveted the 1811 positions are. This happen to anyone else?

Originally posted by SaltyCaptain592 View Post
    Long story short, I was given a TO for an 1811 position but i declined it because i got cold feet. Am currently a CPA and I currently have a great job with stability, pension, W/L balance, job security with OK pay. My boss is great and no micromanagement whatsoever. I just got double minded and couldnt make a decision. And secondly, I know 1811 is very much cop/investigation work (which i like). But i worked my tail off for the CPA and wasnt sure if I wanted leave behind all the skills i built up with it either. I got nervous when I had to decide if to leave behind the great thing i got going here and go for it or not. Im kicking myself now for not going through with it especially realizing how coveted the 1811 positions are. This happen to anyone else?
    Paragraphs...

Comment

No, I’ve Never even thought about second guessing anything I do. I always research, plan, and think things through before acting,…..

Comment

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment

It is what it is.........................adults always have to do pesky things like make decisions then live with the result .
      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Buck up. I took a ton of assignments simply on my ability to complete sentences and knowing when to break off a paragraph. It isn't complicated or all that complex.

Knowing how to do the simple stuff will put you way ahead.

Comment

Second guessing yourself will get you hurt or killed; even worse, someone else hurt or killed,…….

Comment

If I had a CPA and wanted to pursue a LE career, I would look at the FBI.

To answer your question, no, but I am glad that several places that I have applied for in the past did not extend a job offer.

Comment

If you're not all in, if this is not a calling for you, then this is not the career for you. You made the right decision.

Comment

1811 jobs are coveted because they are good jobs. Pay and benefits are decent, you come and go as necessary (usually, but not always), and who doesn't enjoy being called *special*. But there is a reality to it, like eating gas station pizza at 2am after sixteen hours of surveillance or urinating in a gatorade bottle trying not to dribble on your G ride seat because you're the eyeball and can't leave. And if your prospective job had protection duties, well go put on a suit and tassel shoes and stand in your cold dark garage all night to see what that's about. Plus if you have a boss that's civil and not in your business all the time that's huge- many managers in 1811 world are totally opposite of that and there ain't no union protection when psycho boss from hell starts effing with you. Have no regrets because you made the decision for a reason, whether you were aware of it or not....
                Last edited by Ratatatat; 10-28-2022, 10:24 AM.
                The best people possess a feeling for beauty, the courage to take risks, the discipline to tell the truth, the capacity for sacrifice. Ironically, their virtues make them vulnerable; they are often wounded, sometimes destroyed.

-Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I currently have a great job with stability, pension, W/L balance, job security with OK pay. My boss is great and no micromanagement whatsoever.
                  Sounds like a job that I would think twice about before leaving.
                  Last edited by BNWS; 10-28-2022, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
                    If you're not all in, if this is not a calling for you, then this is not the career for you. You made the right decision.
                    Agreed, being an LEO isn’t something you think about, or will try to see if you like it,…..it’s something you WANT to do, without doubt.

Do you have any LEO friends to talk with? Can you do a few ride alongs to get a feel for the independent, both good and bad?
                    Last edited by NolaT; 10-28-2022, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                      1811 jobs are coveted because they are good jobs. Pay and benefits are decent, you come and go as necessary (usually, but not always), and who doesn't enjoy being called *special*.

Plus if you have a boss that's civil and not in your business all the time that's huge- many managers in 1811 world are totally opposite of that and there ain't no union protection when psycho boss from hell starts effing with you.
                      1811s have no union protections?

Eff that noise...

Comment

Originally posted by NolaT View Post

Agreed, being an LEO isn’t something you think about, or will try to see if you like it,…..it’s something you WANT to do, without doubt.

Do you have any LEO friends to talk with? Can you do a few ride alongs to get a feel for the independent, both good and bad?
                        I work with LEOs closely in my current job. I’ve done surveillances, stale outs, raids etc. I love going out to the streets and getting stuff done. I don’t mind working odd hours. I once came back home at 12am after a full day of raiding. During a stake out, we found a huge lead and it was quite the adrenaline rush. I do have experience with what you mentioned. I just wasn’t sure if I wanted to ditch the sweet gig I got going. The decision was one of the hardest I’ve made in my life. No joke.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
                          Winter_Patriot commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You were allowed to do surveillance as a civilian?

You have a better taste of the enforcement part of the job than most applicants then. CI seems more enforcement oriented than most fraud agencies and OIGs. I have a friend who was very accomplished on the civil side with IRS and really hates the LEO heavy aspect of IRS CI.

• SaltyCaptain592
                          SaltyCaptain592 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Im the closest a CPA can be an LEO without officially being an LEO haha. Some of our guys get mistaken as LEOs since we work them so much.

Ha,….definitely not a sweet gig, as in a comfy CPA desk job, but still rewarding on its own merits.

You probably made the right decision for YOU!

A FED job may be what you’re looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

1811s have no union protections?

Eff that noise...

Nope. No union, no omsbudsman, no real oversight of any kind. Managers can pull whatever shenanigans they want, other than hurl racial epithets or deliver a sucker punch to the gut. The G is very much a 'those in power do as they wish, and the powerless suffer what they must' dynamic....

Options are limited to-

1. Inform the next level supervisor about the hostile environment, but don't expect much. Their response will be do nothing in order to protect the power structure, or put the blame on you, as in, "As far as I'm concerned, YOU are the cause of problems", and then make a threat, as in, "If you know what's good for your career, you won't file a complaint with HR" (this actually happened in one horribly bad boss situation where the manager was a certifiable sociopath and the SAC was a gutless coward).

2. Informally notify HR. Good luck with that.

3. File formal EEO complaints with HR. Now this will force them to initiate an inquiry, but again, unless the situation is especially egregious, see number 2.

However, if enough people file complaints, they may eventually take personnel action, like shuffle the bad manager to another location so they can F up that place too (also known as 'pass the trash.')

4. File a lawsuit. If your claim has merit, several months later you could be 'made whole' with a monetary settlement ranging between 30K and 100K. Again, don't expect much to happen to the person responsible, but at least you get a remodeled kitchen for having to suffer the BS from a grossly unfit manager...
                          Last edited by Ratatatat; 10-28-2022, 03:41 PM.
                          The best people possess a feeling for beauty, the courage to take risks, the discipline to tell the truth, the capacity for sacrifice. Ironically, their virtues make them vulnerable; they are often wounded, sometimes destroyed.

-Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• Levithane
                            Levithane commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Can confirm all of this is 100% accurate. I've had to interview people amid their EEO complaints for their BI. Employees wont talk, but the person who filed it does.. That exact quote about being what's good for someone's career i have also seen in a report(s)

My previous state agency was the same way. Terrible office supervisor at one of the neighboring cities, caused numerous Parole officers to leave. All they did was reassign the person and didnt terminate them despite well documented problems.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3927 users online. 218 members and 3709 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X