Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $3500 traffic tickets

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1818.asp

Virginia motorists convicted of minor traffic violations will face a new, multi-year tax beginning July 1. Led by state Delegate David B. Albo (R-Springfield), lawmakers slipped a driver responsibility tax into a larger transportation funding bill signed by Governor Tim Kaine (D) in April. Albo, a senior partner in the Albo & Oblon, LLP traffic law firm, can expect to see a significant increase in business as motorists seek to protect their wallet from traffic tickets that come with assessments of up to $3000 in addition to an annual point tax that tops out at $700 a year for as long as the points remain.

"The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this section is to generate revenue," the new law states. (Virginia Code 46.2-206.1)

Driving as little as 15 MPH over the limit on an interstate highway now brings six license demerit points, a fine of up to $2500, up to one year in jail, and a new mandatory $1050 tax. The law also imposes an additional annual fee of up to $100 if a prior conviction leaves the motorist with a balance of eight demerit points, plus $75 for each additional point (up to $700 a year). The conviction in this example remains on the record for five years.

Other six-point convictions include "failing to give a proper signal," "passing a school bus" or "driving with an obstructed view." The same $1050 assessment applies, but the conviction remains on the record for eleven years.

Although the amount of the tax can add up quickly, the law forbids judges from reducing or suspending it in any way. The tax applies only to Virginia residents, so that out-of-state motorists only need to pay the regular ticket amount. Michigan, New Jersey, New York and Texas also impose a somewhat more modest driver responsibility tax which they apply to out-of-state residents.

The Virginia Supreme Court provides a full explanation of the new penalties for each traffic infraction in the 34k PDF file at the source link below.

This is excessive. I think I'm going to move.

HOLY CRAP! I thought Commiefornia was bad.....I think I'll stay right where I am now. Sheesh!

Comment

Originally posted by iMarkVideo View Post
      This is excessive. I think I'm going to move.
      New Jersey does something like this as well.

OBEY THE LAW and you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by IMachU View Post
        HOLY CRAP! I thought Commiefornia was bad.....I think I'll stay right where I am now. Sheesh!
        It was either that or raise taxes. They (the Legislative) chose to fine drivers that disobey the law with adminstrative fees instead of raising taxes.

As I said in my first post, if one obeys the law, one will not have to worry about paying the fees.

Comment

Originally posted by ignignokt373 View Post
          It was either that or raise taxes. They (the Legislative) chose to fine drivers that disobey the law with adminstrative fees instead of raising taxes.

As I said in my first post, if one obeys the law, one will not have to worry about paying the fees.

Still excessive. I don't know the truth, but I hear it's now more expensive to get a ticket for 15 over or changing lanes without signaling than it is for a DUI now. If this is true, then something is really wrong. Again this just hits the poor and middle class hard. You live in Woodbridge, I think your area probably doesn't react all that much because it is a very high income area. But for the average joe or below, this is excessive punishment that can hit a family just barely making it pretty hard for a simple mistake they made. I would think that guy I saw in the Ferrari pulled over last week in Woodbridge could care less about a traffic fine. But the guy that can only afford a 10 year old Honda just to get to work will suffer. Can't pay the fine=DL suspention. They always said Virginia was a backwards state, they just proved it.

Comment

Raise taxes? We already have a car tax, personal property tax, food tax, restaurant tax, hidden excise taxes on certain food such as pork, gas tax, cigarette tax etc. I could go on forever. It's called mismanagement by our General Assembly. The only tax that was not raised? ALCOHOL. Probably because our General Assebly are a buch of drunks. The new transportaion bill includes addtional taxes on a purchase of a car, higher gas tax, and almost doubled DMV fees, and a new tax on real property. Wow. I wich I could raise my salary the same way these idiots can raise taxes. Oh yea, did't they just vote themselves a minumum 10% and as high as 30% pay raise back in February?

Comment

Still excessive. I don't know the truth, but I hear it's now more expensive to get a ticket for 15 over or changing lanes without signaling than it is for a DUI now. If this is true, then something is really wrong. Again this just hits the poor and middle class hard. You live in Woodbridge, I think your area probably doesn't react all that much because it is a very high income area. But for the average joe or below, this is excessive punishment that can hit a family just barely making it pretty hard for a simple mistake they made. I would think that guy I saw in the Ferrari pulled over last week in Woodbridge could care less about a traffic fine. But the guy that can only afford a 10 year old Honda just to get to work will suffer. Can't pay the fine=DL suspention. They always said Virginia was a backwards state, they just proved it.
              It goes back to the fact of DON'T BREAK THE LAW!

If you look at the list, you can get pulled over for speeding and not get whacked with the fee. You can blow a stop sign and not get whacked with a fee. You go 20 over and get charged with Reckless, that's a whole different story. You commit a traffic offense that's a felony, you're going to get hit. You drive on a suspended license, you're going to get hit.

I would much rather whack folks that don't follow the law than pay higher taxes, but that's just me.

The folks that will bitch and moan about it are the ones that probably break the law all the time but have yet to get caught. Maybe this well get folks to drive slower and safer and there will be less fatalities in the Commonwealth....?

Comment

There are more 10 year old Honda's on the road speeding than Ferrari's so yes they will be impacted more. Heres the catch.....dont drive over 15 mph over the speed limit and you will not have to worry. If the poor and middle class are going to be hit hard then dont speed and it will not affect anyone. Yes it sucks they raised the fines (tax) to a ridiculous level......but you can easily avoid paying it by obeying the law.

Thats one of the problems in today's world....people know what they are doing is wrong and knowingly play the odds that they wont get caught. If your going to gamble by speeding then dont be surprised when your number comes up and you lose some money.
                Last edited by Fuzz; 06-28-2007, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Raise taxes? We already have a car tax, personal property tax, food tax, restaurant tax, hidden excise taxes on certain food such as pork, gas tax, cigarette tax etc. I could go on forever. It's called mismanagement by our General Assembly. The only tax that was not raised? ALCOHOL. Probably because our General Assebly are a buch of drunks. The new transportaion bill includes addtional taxes on a purchase of a car, higher gas tax, and almost doubled DMV fees, and a new tax on real property. Wow. I wich I could raise my salary the same way these idiots can raise taxes. Oh yea, did't they just vote themselves a minumum 10% and as high as 30% pay raise back in February?
                  A. I don't buy my vehicles in VA. I brought my truck from MO. I will go back to MO or some other state to buy another one when the time comes. Yes, I will have to license it here but that's life. Try going to some of the other states out there and see how hard you get whacked with fees when you make vehicle purchase.

B. The new bill that the Gov signed does raise fees and some taxes BUT they wanted to go a lot higher. This was one way not to do that. Gov wanted it, the Repubs wanted it, a lot of the Dems wanted it, so that's what happened.

C. Slow down, obey the law, don't drive like an idiot, and you have nothing to worry about. Simple as that.

Comment

It goes back to the fact of DON'T BREAK THE LAW!

If you look at the list, you can get pulled over for speeding and not get whacked with the fee. You can blow a stop sign and not get whacked with a fee. You go 20 over and get charged with Reckless, that's a whole different story. You commit a traffic offense that's a felony, you're going to get hit. You drive on a suspended license, you're going to get hit.

I would much rather whack folks that don't follow the law than pay higher taxes, but that's just me.

The folks that will bitch and moan about it are the ones that probably break the law all the time but have yet to get caught. Maybe this well get folks to drive slower and safer and there will be less fatalities in the Commonwealth....?
                    I agree with you somewhat. I have had 2 tickets in 22 years of driving, never had a chargable accident and pay my share of taxes. And I am bitching. My point was two fold. FAIRNESS and BAD mismanagement of state funds so the only way the GA can make up for their shortfall is stick it to the citizens again. It's out of control. When's the last time you voted for your own pay raise. I bet it would be cool if you could. I have no idea what your cost of living raise is every year but mine is only 3% not 10-30%.

Comment

Wow, everything is going up, except salaries...

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

I agree with you somewhat. I have had 2 tickets in 22 years of driving, never had a chargable accident and pay my share of taxes. And I am bitching. My point was two fold. FAIRNESS and BAD mismanagement of state funds so the only way the GA can make up for their shortfall is stick it to the citizens again. It's out of control. When's the last time you voted for your own pay raise. I bet it would be cool if you could. I have no idea what your cost of living raise is every year but mine is only 3% not 10-30%.
                        A. Not trying to defend anyone. I am just stating me opinion of what's going on how here and what they have said in the news regarding it all. It was a huge story in Sunday's Washington Post.

B. Them voting for their own raises is just the nature of the best. EVERY legislative body that I knows of votes for their own salaries.

C. I would damn sure much rather live in the Commonwealth and commute into DC than live in DC. That's just me. So, I am stuck here until my career takes me elsewhere. Until then, I will obey the law and tell all my friends to do the same. As if you do that, you don't get whacked.

Comment

It's all a legal money racket. Dave Albo is the most blatently corrupt delgate there is. All you have to do is google his name and find out for yourself. They even formed a group and created a website exposing his scams. I don't see how this guy is still in office. He is also a DUI lawyer. He writes the DUI laws in VA. He is just creating job security for his firm. I wrote about him in earlier posts.

And about not breaking the law. Are you kidding me? Every person on the world wide web right now has broken those laws several times. Even LEOs. If you try to tell me any different, you are lying. It's just human nature. People speed and fail to use a blinker (grrrrr) for various reasons. But whatever the reason, it definitely does not warrant these types of civil penalties. Aren't the fines, court costs and high insurance rates suppose to deter people from doing it again. WHY? This bill has got to be fixed. I'm tired of hearing "don't break the law and you won't get raped by the gov't." Why don't they just tattoo numbers on people and randomly generate a number at different intervals to know who they need to send a $2,000 bill to? There has got to be smarter people in this country. AARRGGGHH!

Comment

Originally posted by Just View Post

And about not breaking the law. Are you kidding me? Every person on the world wide web right now has broken those laws several times.
                            I've been pulled over a whooping 3 times in the last 5 years for speeding. I wasn't going Mach 5 or anything. Just a few over to warrant a check. I was nice to the friendly officer, apologized to him, and was sent on my way.

I watch my speed, use my blinkers, and don't drive like a idiot.......and I have survived Northern Virginia/DC for several years now without any tickets.

Comment

I've been pulled over a whooping 3 times in the last 5 years for speeding. I wasn't going Mach 5 or anything. Just a few over to warrant a check. I was nice to the friendly officer, apologized to him, and was sent on my way.

I watch my speed, use my blinkers, and don't drive like a idiot.......and I have survived Northern Virginia/DC for several years now without any tickets.
                              Really? That's about (up to) $7500 dollars in fines and some jail time You don't have to drive like an idiot to be affected by draconian laws.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9253 users online. 436 members and 8817 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X