Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitting Duck Surveillance

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ot-in-detroit/

DETROIT – Two people are in custody after an undercover Michigan State Police trooper was shot overnight in Detroit, officials said.

The shooting happened around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday (Sept. 27) in the 14000 block of Riverview Street on the city’s west side.

An undercover narcotics officer who has been on the force for 10 years was in the area when shots were fired by an unknown person. The trooper was struck in the body by gunfire.

He was taken to a nearby hospital in critical condition but has since been upgraded to stable, according to authorities.

Frankly I'm surprised this doesn't happen more frequently. Anyone who's spent a shift or two parked on a residential street in a bombed out neighborhood waiting for S1 to emerge and meet with S2, it doesn't take long before a stranger in a strange vehicle is getting some unwanted attention....

True story: shortly after I retired, I applied for a surveillance job with a private security company who had big dollar worker comp fraud contracts with local utility and manufacturing companies. You know, sitting parked for hours with an iPhone waiting for some guy who supposedly is out with Covid or injury leave his home to mow his lawn or go bowling and get it on tape. The pay was double most private security jobs but there was a rider: no firearms allowed while on surveillance. "Don't worry", said the VP of the company, a retired police chief. "These assignments are people with good jobs who live in decent neighborhoods. Plus we don't want to pay the insurance premiums of you being armed."

The next day, my first day on the job, I parked in a neighborhood which resembled Beirut circa 1985. For every intact house, two were burned or boarded up and the plywood covered in gang tags. I took a photo the six sided stars and pitchforks and emailed the VP. "I don't think you would sit for a minute in this neighborhood without your firearm and neither will I. I resign effective immediately." He didn't respond.

When the wolf tells the story, the shepard is the enemy.

I’d have to think hard about the benefits,……

Comment

Originally posted by NolaT View Post
      I’d have to think hard about the benefits,……
      There ARE NO benefits..........................
      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I did a lot of retirement job research before I left. I came to the conclusion that I would rather stay on the PD for five extra years than have to take these sh**y security and PI jobs.

Comment

I really didn't do much research. I just knew I WAS retiring the first day of eligibility and would find something to do after that day. I planned on never looking at another mirror image of me in uniform again..........35 yrs of that was enough. I even bought a suit for interviews. NEVER wore it because this job came up. I had one false start that lasted 10 days (armored car driver)--------Using the phrase "You can't pay me enough to work here any more" was priceless

Not everyone can land a "perfect" retirement job like I have.................or maybe had.
          Those that don't know I am a court security and inmate transfer officer for my small Sheriff's Office. Make my own hours....is very part time.....and pays pretty good for my area. Been there 11.5 yrs now

HOWEVER I just got back from yearly quals and didn't make it....after numerous attempts over 2 days......I am non sworn but we qualify at sworn officer standards. Sheriff just texted me not to sweat it, he has a plan for a different qualification for non sworn.............................so I may or may not be employed after the 1st of the year. And I don't care either way because this would have been my 46th year of POLICE standard qualification
          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you having trouble seeing the front sight, or what? I'm not trying to be funny- I'm about 60 years old, I have to wear my reading glasses to get a good front sight picture, and I'm assuming it's not gonna get any easier as I get older. My previous qualification course of fire, was such that if I got all my rounds in out to the 15, that was enough to qualify, and I was still point-shooting at the 15, so my difficulties in getting a good sight picture were irrelevant at the 25.

• NolaT
            NolaT commented
            Editing a comment
            Look into Laser home training.

You have to reset the weapon after every shot, but it’s actually fun.

https://mantisx.com/pages/laser-academy

• Iowa #1603
            Iowa #1603 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a laser system that works pretty well ...........................I spent about 2 hrs last night experimenting with the different Glock backstraps. using my ELMS system

I am having trouble seeing period. Diabetes isn't doing my body any good YES I am treating it and YES my A1C is down. The progression of my problems qualifying has increased the last 5 yrs. The timing has been erratic the last couple years also. I am 66 and will turn 67 in January

I am ambivalent about it either way. If I get to have a different set of qual standards OK If I can't and I have to not carry a weapon I will leave and be happy with my life too,

• TheTick
            TheTick commented
            Editing a comment
            I know some guys don't want to hear it... but the RDS may be the answer you seek. I've seen it dramatically improve shooters after they put in the time to learn it to include those with worsening eye sight.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2398 users online. 163 members and 2235 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X