300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #77 true or urban ledgend?

I recieved the following in email and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the information is true. Would it be ok not to stop??? and is the #77 thing true?

thanks for any advice,
    Taps

> >EVERYONE should read this email!!! Especially women.

Something worth remembering.
    > > >
    > > > > This is an actual true story and not one of those Internet stories
    > > >that are passed on and on. This actually happened to one of my friend's
    > > >daughter. Her daughter, Lauren, is 19 yrs. old and a sophomore in
    > > >college. This happened to her over the Christmas/New Year's holiday
    > > >break.
    > > >
    > > > > It was the Saturday before New Year's and it was about 1 pm in the
    > > >afternoon. Lauren was driving from Winchester, Va. to visit a friend in
    > > >Warrenton, VA.
    > > >
    > > > > For those of you who are familiar with the area, she was taking Rt.
    > > >East towards Middleburg and then was going to cut over to I-66 via Rt.
    > > >17.
    > > > >
    > > > > Those of you who aren't familiar with this area, Rt. 50 East is a
    main
    > > >road (55 mph and two lanes each side with a big median separating
    > > >East/West lanes), but is somewhat secluded, known for it's big horse
    > > >farms and beautiful country estates.
    > > >
    > > > > Lauren was actually following behind a state police car shortly
    after
    > > >she left Winchester and was going just over 65 mph since she was
    > > >following behind him. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and
    > > >put his lights on. My friend and her husband have 4 children (high
    > > >school and
    > > > > college age) and have always told them never to pull over for an
    > > >unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to
    > > >a gas station, etc.
    > > >
    > > > > So Lauren actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly
    called
    > > >#77 on her cell phone to tell the dispatcher that she would not pull
    > > >over right away. She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there were 2
    > > >police cars, one unmarked behind her and one marked in front of her.
    > > >
    > > > > The dispatcher checked to confirm that there were 2 police cars
    where
    > > >she was. There wasn't and she was connected to the policeman in front
    of
    > > >her. He told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up
    > > >already on the way.
    > > >
    > > > > Ten minutes later, 4 police cars surrounded her and the unmarked car
    > > >behind her. One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded
    the
    > > >car behind.
    > > >
    > > > > They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground ...
    the
    > > >man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.
    > > >
    > > > > Thank God Lauren listened to her parents! She was shaken up, but
    fine.
    > > >
    > > > > I never knew that bit of advice about the #77, but especially for a
    > > >woman alone in a car, you should NEVER pull over for an unmarked car in
    > > >a secluded area. In fact, even a marked car after dark should follow
    you
    > > >to a populated area. Apparently police (this is the good part!!!!) have
    > > >to respect your right to keep going to a "safe" place. You obviously
    > > >need to make some signals that you acknowledge them (i.e. put on your
    > > >hazard lights) or call #77 like Lauren did.
    > > >
    > > > > So be safe and pass this on to your friends. Awareness is
    everything!

Do I have a problem with women wanting to stop in a place that looks safe to them? No, is the short answer. However, when I work, I drive a marked squad car with overhead lights and I'm in uniform.

You need to be buying some curb if I have to sound my siren. No ifs, and or buts about it. I don't care what color the curb is, I want you to stop right now if my siren sounds.

If I can tell that the person driving the car isn't trying to get away from me, they're not trying to stuff dope, guns or beer under the seat, and they make some kind of signal that they know I'm behind them, I'll let them go to a "safe" place, as long as we don't go overboard.

I have no idea what #77 is. We sure don't have that here. Nearly everywhere has 9-1-1 though.

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: Evnings ]
    RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

Thanks Evnings. Now, what would be an appropriate signal to show that I know you are there behind me and I'm going to pull over as soon as I find a "safe" place? And what is "overboard"? Knowing me....I would see the unmarked car, be afraid to pull over but do it anyway because I'm too chicken to cause trouble.

Comment

The #77 thing is only in sme areas, but most areas have a similar program. Besides 911 here, we have *FHP (for the Highway Patrol), *DUI (which goes to the Sheriff's Office of whatever county you're in) and many agencies have their own like *FMPD etc.

As for the story............ It's sort of true. While that particular one has not been confirmed, there are documented cases of it happening.

One of the best sites on the internet for tracking down Urban Legends is : www.snopes2.com

The link to that particular story, and the Snopes staff research, is here: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/fakecop.htm

Comment

Waving your hand, slowing down, and not making any furtive movements.

If I were in an unmarked unit, I wouldn't think it unreasonable to drive to the nearest street light, convience store, etc. But if you are in a desolate area, you may have no choice just to stop. I'd personally make him sound his siren to get me to stop. A lot of imposters will not invest in a siren. They don't want a whole lot of attention being brought to them. Having to "burp" a siren brings attention.

If he is not in uniform, I would ask to see a badge and ID. You might also ask him to have a marked unit respond to where you are stopped. Most of the time, if one of our unmarked units makes a stop, a patrol unit goes to back him up.

There is no full proof answer to give. Each situation has to be rated on its own merits.

Hope that helps. BTW, I would be reluctant for my wife to stop for an unmarked car in an unfamiliar, desolate area.

Our unmarked cars make very, very few stops. They find it interfers with their doing more important things, like going to coffee .

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: Evnings ]
          RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

We had a situation like that down here but the procedeure was to pull in a fire or police station or wait unit a mark car arrives with it. The worst thing is most police stations and fire houses are locked up tight at night except in the French Quarter. But that was the order anyway. Next the brilliant part, I guess after meetings of the top brass they decide to ban blue lights and change to red& blue combination. Like these guys can't just run right out and buy a red light. Luckly they caught them and stopped the problem.
            Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

I drive an unmarked SUV. It certainly does not look like a police car. I wear a uniform most days, and do stop people when in uniform. I generally do not stop anyone when Im working out of uniform (unless you do something REALLY stupid). I have no problem at all if a driver wants to go to a more "populated" place, especially if it is a female. I will follow you with all the glory of a police car. Siren blairing, 14 stobes flshing, etc... My philosophy is this: A bad guy trying to look like a LEO is not going to cause that much attention to be drawn to himself. I appreciate it when motorists acknowledge that I'm behind them by slowing down, turning on the flashers etc. I generally do not have a probelm with it. Driving a vehicle is not a right, though, and very few states make provisions on unmarked cars. I know here in FL, I cannot charge you with FELONY fleeing in an unmarked car, but I can charge with MISD. fleeing. I heard that in some states an unmarked car cannot stop vehicles by state statute.
              As my friend says: All Narc, No Bite

Comment

Originally posted by k9medic:
                I heard that in some states an unmarked car cannot stop vehicles by state statute.
                I don't know about other states, but I can tell you that this is a COMMON MISCONCEPTION in California. The vehicle code states (and I'm paraphrasing here 'cause I'm too lazy to look up the actual wording) that a law enforcement vehicle that is NORMALLY USED in traffic control MUST be marked.

That means that if you are NOT NORMALLY doing traffic control, you may drive an unmarked unit and may STILL make a traffic stop. Generally, it isn't done in any of the areas that I worked at. However it CAN be, and if the circumstances warrant it, it WILL be.

Also there is nothing in the code preventing an unmarked car from making a vehicle stop, if the stop is NOT traffic related. i.e.; Detectives observe subject driving who they know has warrants etc.

Usually they will try to get a marked radio car to make the stop for them, but there are times when one is just not available.
                6P1 (retired)

Comment

Unless the policy has changed since I retired, unmarked cars in my department are not to make any type of stop unless it is an emergency. The department policy is to call for a marked black and white unit to effect the stop. I agree with that policy.

Here in Washington, even tow trucks are equipped with flashing red lights, and the Washington State Patrol uses unmarked cars such as SUV's for traffic enforcement.

Retired
                  Retired

Comment

Here in Virginia, the #77 thing is in place where I live. But it's mainly used for fender benders on county roads. As far as I know, here unmarked cars aren't even allowed to pull over vehicles unless they are with a marked unit for a warrant or a chase. I could be wrong of course, but that's what I have observed.
                    If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

Comment

It's been a while since I looked over this in the ORC (Ohio Revised Code) but I believe that in the state of Ohio you must be either in uniform or in a marked car and uniform to make a general traffic stop. We covered this in the academy but it has slipped my mind. I told my wife that if he isn't in uniform then he ought to get someone there who is. We live in a big city so backup and additional units are always two to three minutes away. I wouldn't be the least bit upset if a female wanted to move to a well lit area or have another unit present. Better to error on the safe side.

Comment

Originally posted by retired:
                        The department policy is to call for a marked black and white unit to effect the stop. I agree with that policy.
                        Retired
                        I whole heartedly agree with the idea behind that policy as well. Particularly for a department that is as large as yours is.

However, when you get out into the "boondocks" you don't always have that option. Unless you are willing to just stay behind the car for possibly one to two hours or perhaps even more.

Actually even in the rural departments I just don't think it is a good practice, but there will ALWAYS be that one time when it is necessary to make that stop because someone's life (or at least health) may be in danger. If you put it into policy that it not be done, then that officer has been put in a totally no-win situation.
                        6P1 (retired)

Comment

In Georgia, the law requires any police vehicle used for making traffic stops be clearly marked with at least 4-inch lettering. We also can't use slick-tops for traffic if the vehicle is model year 2000 or newer.

Comment

slick tops??? are those the ones that have retractable light bars??? i heard about those...but have never seen them.

i received this same e-mail from a friend and was a little skeptical of the #77 thing having been a 911 dispatcher for 18 months and having never heard of it. eventually i did find out that it is available in some areas...but not in Georgia...or at least not in MY area of Georgia. but here's what i was wondering...why would someone dial #77 in an emergency when you can just HOLD DOWN THE 9 BUTTON until it connects w/ 911!?!?!? if the goal is a faster connection, you can't get much faster than holding down one button until the call connects. and now the obvious...if it's a fricking marked car w/ an officer in uniform you can pretty much bet it's safe to pull over.
                            This post has been rated PG-13 for your viewing pleasure.

Comment

With 911 on a cell phone, you never when it will switch towers and who knows who's gonna answer the phone. With the *FHP, #77, etc., you know exactly where it's going...to the S.P./H.P dispatcher.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4711 users online. 340 members and 4371 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X