300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by southpaw1 View Post
    Body worn cameras or (BWCs) are the best thing that ever happened. Here in Chicago (CPD) we have a 2 minute video buffer (no audio) and then when we activate it audio is on. It used to be 30 second buffer a few years ago. We record EVERY LE interaction with the public. I think you're misunderstanding my issues with "firearm pointing incidents" scotty_appleton814 . It HAS caused hesitation! That's my fear is it has caused people to second guess and risk officer safety. I don't go pointing my gun around recklessly. Trust me there's a very good reason if I'm drawing and pointing it.

Whatever perception there is out there about my department remember its the 2nd largest PD in the country and major city policing in a violent neighborhood is very different from where you work respectfully. We average over 3,000 people shot in the city limits just about every year unfortunately and where I'm at guns are taken off the streets every day without incident believe it or not. It would be a fair conversation to have if you worked here in the city or somewhere similar. We are the only county in the state that goes through a felony review process for charges. We have multiple agencies of oversight internally and externally and a consent decree. Look at what ended up happening police the police and let the public be reckless and now attacks are up against us and I've never seen such blatant disregard for LE in general here. It's a free for all even in the nicer parts of the city. I work with the greatest people and I'm proud of them because we take so much s#@$ everyday and we continue to police these communities day in and day out and help the people that need help. There are a lot of good people that been there a long time or don't have the means to leave and actually want us there and quietly support the police so don't believe the media bs.
    You are not the only county in Illinois that has a felony review process to approve charges. Also. You guys may be a violent city, but you're not the most violent city nor are you guys the only department around dealing with policing in violent neighborhoods. I'm not minimizing your issues, but you guys are not the only ones dealing with violent crimes, shootings, ppl pointing guns at police, battering police, trying set police cars on fire..... with the office inside. You guys are not the only ones arresting drunk drivers after they've killed a family. CPD officers aren't the only ones patching up GSWs. Don't confuse that fact that CPD is the 2nd largest department, one with bad manpower and administration issues. With the fantasy thought that you guys are the only ones doing the job. Even in Chicago, you have State, Cook County, FBI, DEA, ATF task forces all doing the heavy lifting right there with you. When the poop hits the fan, ILEAS is right there. All of us are dealing with bad manpower. Most of us are dealing with bad administration's right now.

As far as not pulling weapons because of the perception, that's a business decision I've made years ago because no matter what, I'm going home to my wife and kids. What another person does, that's on them.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post

I don't think it is a bad thing to document pointing a firearm at a person. I mean you could be one fell swoop away from actually using it. So what is wrong with documenting if you've done nothing wrong. Where I work we also have to document pointing a firearm at someone. I've done many use of force reports and so far none have made me lose sleep because I was objectively reasonable in my use or show of force. Somehow I haven't been charged with a crime by my Democratic State's Attorney Office
      Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post

You are not the only county in Illinois that has a felony review process to approve charges. Also. You guys may be a violent city, but you're not the most violent city nor are you guys the only department around dealing with policing in violent neighborhoods. I'm not minimizing your issues, but you guys are not the only ones dealing with violent crimes, shootings, ppl pointing guns at police, battering police, trying set police cars on fire..... with the office inside. You guys are not the only ones arresting drunk drivers after they've killed a family. CPD officers aren't the only ones patching up GSWs. Don't confuse that fact that CPD is the 2nd largest department, one with bad manpower and administration issues. With the fantasy thought that you guys are the only ones doing the job. Even in Chicago, you have State, Cook County, FBI, DEA, ATF task forces all doing the heavy lifting right there with you. When the poop hits the fan, ILEAS is right there. All of us are dealing with bad manpower. Most of us are dealing with bad administration's right now.

As far as not pulling weapons because of the perception, that's a business decision I've made years ago because no matter what, I'm going home to my wife and kids. What another person does, that's on them.
      I said respectfully. I'm not here to disrespect anyone or diminish your job or anyone else is but you made reference about losing sleep and states attorney charging. Make no mistake that I'm not losing sleep either because all of my stuff is good and by the book and actually have pretty low use of force incidents thankfully. I'm not here to say police all over don't face dangerous criminals or encounter the stuff we see here. The district I work in IS one of the most violent in the entire country actually.

Year to date over 35 homicides, 135 wounded so I mean I regularly go to people shot, stabbed, robbed, battered and people regularly resist and fight us. Those outside agencies don't deal with everyday violent domestics, people with knives, gun calls, shots fired ALL DAY....I mean all day and with rifle rounds too. It's complete chaos so the volume of what I deal with isn't the same as you. I'm trying to say that respectfully its the truth. That being said I have to go to work soon. Be safe. Same team guys...same team. Don't forget that and I don't mean to diminish any POs. Evil is everywhere and this job is no joke everywhere so be safe!
      Last edited by southpaw1; 08-05-2022, 02:23 PM.
      PO Ella Grace French CPD EOW 07 AUG 21

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3337 users online. 216 members and 3121 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X