Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying off-duty in NYC

Hey all,

I am an Officer in Maryland and will be traveling and staying in NYC for a few days later this month. Are they any restrictions such as type of ammo and capacity I need to be aware of? And can I enter most places concealing? (Statue of liberty, Empire State Building, ect).

Thanks!

Curious myself, entertainment purposes only though,……

Comment

I think they're particular about hollow points and mag capacity up north. Curious as well to see what the NYC guys have to say.
      Last edited by BrianT; 02-09-2022, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Doesn’t that federal law cover us in all these circumstances nation wide?

Comment

Originally posted by EricDel View Post
          Doesn’t that federal law cover us in all these circumstances nation wide?
          Maybe...maybe not. The law is somewhat vague when it comes to many things (especially like magazine capacity and ammunition type) and permits the states leeway on restrictions. The other problem is that the law has never really been tested in court. It MIGHT overrule various state and local laws on some restrictions, but that would require a test case (and nobody wants to be the test case).
          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I'm thankful I live in a free part of the country- we have Constitutional Carry, so even my wife can carry with no permit, and no magazine or ammo restrictions.

Comment

Ha, I’ll pass on being the sacrificial test case.

Comment

Post in the New York section and you will get the answers to your questions. For the most part sworn active officer can carry under HR 218. Statue of Liberty should be OK to carry as it is Fed controlled and they are, or at least were LEO friendly. Empire State Building has long been a no go except for NYPD as are other locations. Have been out of NY for years now so not absolutely up to date on all regs.

Comment

https://www.police1.com/police-produ...FMzRpiy7LRxoq/

Above is a good story on LEOSA carry in NY, pretty recent...2021. I have carried many times with no issues, but I was also on official travel, so I have no experience with tourist carry.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraut0783 View Post
                https://www.police1.com/police-produ...FMzRpiy7LRxoq/

Above is a good story on LEOSA carry in NY, pretty recent...2021. I have carried many times with no issues, but I was also on official travel, so I have no experience with tourist carry.
                Good read, thanks.

I laughed at the part where you apparently can't openly carry a knife with the clip exposed. A folding knife clipped in a right front pocket is commonplace in the south.

The author didn't mention hollow points; I thought that was a "thing" up there.

Comment

Are you visiting to experience the current mad max conditions that exist in Manhattan? If so don't miss riding the subway. It's a rolling psych ward, complete with someone getting pushed in front of a train every other week.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
                    Are you visiting to experience the current mad max conditions that exist in Manhattan? If so don't miss riding the subway. It's a rolling psych ward, complete with someone getting pushed in front of a train every other week.
                    Hey, hey, hey. That’s being culturally inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianT View Post

Good read, thanks.

I laughed at the part where you apparently can't openly carry a knife with the clip exposed. A folding knife clipped in a right front pocket is commonplace in the south.

The author didn't mention hollow points; I thought that was a "thing" up there.
                      Definitely commonplace down here in the Deep South!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianT View Post
                        I think they're particular about hollow points and mag capacity up north. Curious as well to see what the NYC guys have to say.
                        They CANNOT restrict ammo type due to LEOSA. They CAN restrict magazine capacity because LEOSA does not address it and it therefore reverts to the state's law. I think NY is 7-round magazine capacity.
                        If by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by NolaT View Post

Definitely commonplace down here in the Deep South!
                          I always carry my Benchmade automatic in my left front trouser pocket with the clip on the outside- I just have too much other stuff on my right side, so finding my knife would be much harder if I carried it on the right.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1572 users online. 113 members and 1459 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X