300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not motivated to take NYPD sgts test

I have no motivation, drive, ambition, or dedication to study for this test or do anything with this department. This has to be the worst job that’s considered to be “a profession”. I tried going to another department and it failed so now I’m stuck in this hell hole. An email said the exam would be announced soon but I don’t see a future with me and the NYPD. Any advice on where I can go ?

What happened to your Lateral?

Comment

• columbia09
      columbia09 commented
      Editing a comment
      Failed PT by two pushups

Originally posted by columbia09 View Post
    I have no motivation, drive, ambition, or dedication to study for this test or do anything with this department. This has to be the worst job that’s considered to be “a profession”. I tried going to another department and it failed so now I’m stuck in this hell hole. An email said the exam would be announced soon but I don’t see a future with me and the NYPD. Any advice on where I can go ?
    Resign

Find another career
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• columbia09
      columbia09 commented
      Editing a comment
      Easier said then done

Before I respond, permit to to ask a couple questions...

How long have you been in LE? Are you "invested" in this career?
    What's going on what you hate your department so much? Is it something in particular, or just LE in general?
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• columbia09
      columbia09 commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s NYPD I don’t know how familiar you are with this department but droves of people
      Leave for other jobs

• columbia09
      columbia09 commented
      Editing a comment
      And about 8 years

columbia09 commented
    Yesterday, 10:28 PM

Easier said then done
    There is nothing worse for the agency , the public, or the profession than an officer who has no drive or ambition and who feels his job is "the worst"job" and/or they feel they are "stuck in this hell hole". The drag on morale that this type of person puts on his crew gets infectious and can mess up everyone's time on the job. The above described officer usually AND I REPEAT USUALLY just shows up does the minimum and collects his/her paycheck.

As far as promotion..........................I know THOUSANDS of officers who never desired promotion. I personally had almost 20 yrs in before I took a promotion.

You are exhibiting traits of the 7 yr burn out that is rampant in the profession and right around the time frame that makes about 50% of all serving officers leave the job. That time frame is about 5-7 yrs, right about 14-15 yrs and surprisingly about 20-25 yrs if the agency lets you work that long.

I left my first LE career as a deputy sheriff at about 7.5 yrs as things weren't "fun" and I was constantly arguing with command. I restarted my career about 7 months later with a different agency and retired after 27 yrs in State Corrections. I retired as a Supervising Officer (Lieutenant) of 15 yrs who commanded a shift in a Maximum Security Prison. I then started with a small Sheriff's office as a Transport officer and now lead the Transport division. 10 yrs so far.

I put the above paragraph in to tell you where my comments come from. I have been there, I have done that, and I have supervised those who have done it also. I also almost left at the 22 yr mark on my Corrections career because it wasn't fun anymore.....I hated my job the last 5 yrs & was miserable to everyone around me.

Staying in a LE job you hate does no one any favors. You are miserable. Your job performance reflects your attitude. Your coworkers sense that and steer away from you. Your supervisors know you are miserable and usually note in in supervisory notes in your file. And it effects your family.. My wife fully supported me leaving at 22 yrs OJT . She was so relieved when I finally DID retire (the first day I was eligible to collect a pension check)

I might also note that grass is rarely greener on the other job either. I can name MANY officers from various agencies who left for another job and ended up returning to their old job OR wanting to but could not. I know several who have bounced around different agencies racking up a reputation of being a gypsy officer.

Over the yrs as both a senior officer and as a Supervisor I have counseled many who have been struggling with their career.A lot of them were good officers but were unhappy with various aspects of their job. One thing to remember is that there really is no disgrace in a person who has done the job and just can't do it anymore to leave.

The skills you have developed as a Police Officer really do transfer to other jobs/professions. Almost every officer I know who has retired or even left the job ahead of retirement quickly found a job that utilizes the leadership skills that we were taught in the academy.

columbia09 commented
    Yesterday, 10:27 PM

It’s NYPD I don’t know how familiar you are with this department but droves of people
    Leave for other jobs

ANY agency with 35K or so employees is going to have turnover like that

Comment

.You are not alone.

https://nypost.com/2021/11/20/survey...y-werent-blue/

Don't worry Eric Adams will inspire you the way he inspired so many while he was a captain

Comment

• columbia09
        columbia09 commented
        Editing a comment
        How was he as a captain ?

You're not alone and, quite frankly, there's nothing much more I can add to Iowa's already spot-on post. Working for a "hellhole" department is certainly not doing you or your department any favors. If the job itself makes you miserable, then you should consider moving on to something else (there's no shame in doing something that's good for you...even though cops are loathe to walk away from the profession, even when they know it's bad for them). If it's just the NYPD, then consider taking the advice that we give people looking for their first job...don't put all of your eggs in one basket and apply to multiple agencies.

Believe me when I say that I sympathize. I'm in the home stretch and can't wait to take off the badge. As Iowa described, I'm well aware that I'm miserable...and miserable to be around...but in my case the golden handcuffs of the pension are tight around my wrists. You're still early enough in your career and experienced enough to have options.
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Uh...not Portland. Was that supposed to be a trick question?

Comment

How long ago did you fail the PT and what have you done to improve since then?

Entrance PT is the bare minimum and not hard at all to improve. Why not get on a basic work out program and knock out two additional push ups?

Never quit!

Comment

Originally posted by NolaT View Post
            How long ago did you fail the PT and what have you done to improve since then?

Entrance PT is the bare minimum and not hard at all to improve. Why not get on a basic work out program and knock out two additional push ups?

Never quit!
            I took it last summer and I workout twice a week. When the next test comes I’ll hire a trainer. Two push-ups cost me a lot and a great job that’s much better then what I have now

Comment

No need for a Trainer, this is basic fitness; push ups, sit ups and a run.

Start NOW, always push yourself to do more or the same number inless time,.......it's easy!

Comment

I took it last summer and I workout twice a week. When the next test comes I’ll hire a trainer. Two push-ups cost me a lot and a great job that’s much better then what I have now
                What's the standard? How many push-ups do you have to do?

Comment

If you don't like what you're doing now, you probably should not be putting in for Sergeant- Sergeant is in many ways, the worst job in law enforcement- you're responsible for other people that hate what they're doing, and you're trapped between union-protected line-level employees, and a politically motivated upper management.

I took the Sergeant test five years in and passed my first time, but I decided it wasn't for me- I like being responsible for just me. I was an FTO at the time, and seeing the quality of the diversity hires being allowed to graduate academy, made me REALLY not want to be responsible for other people.

Comment

Much more responsibility the higher up you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
                      If you don't like what you're doing now, you probably should not be putting in for Sergeant- Sergeant is in many ways, the worst job in law enforcement- you're responsible for other people that hate what they're doing, and you're trapped between union-protected line-level employees, and a politically motivated upper management.

I took the Sergeant test five years in and passed my first time, but I decided it wasn't for me- I like being responsible for just me. I was an FTO at the time, and seeing the quality of the diversity hires being allowed to graduate academy, made me REALLY not want to be responsible for other people.
                      I ended up saying to most of my friends/ family that the biggest mistake I made in my career was to promote. The frustration of supervising those who didn't want to be supervised and appeasing those above who really didn't deserve to be there put layers of stress on an already stressful job. I grew to hate having to order people into work when others chose to call in for whatever reason.

I might add that my wife was really unhappy with me when I accepted the promotion.........she grew into it, but when I was thinking about leaving before I could draw a pension .......she was all for it

I was in a unique situation where I worked as an ACTING Sergeant for almost 4 yrs and was not required to be a "real" Sgt before promoting to Lieutenant

Like I said before I HATED the last 5 yrs of my career. The first 10 as a supervisor was tolerable & I accomplished many things. It was a higher level local manager that killed it for me
                      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 11-21-2021, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Bing_Oh
                        Bing_Oh commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Your comment almost perfectly describes the last several years of my work...and I actually WANTED to be Sgt!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2418 users online. 136 members and 2282 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X