Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the fastest you've ever gone on a city street?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the fastest you've ever gone on a city street?

I know that everybody's comfort level is different, but what's the fastest you've ever gone on a city street?

100…more or less…blew the doors off my SGT’s car.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      100…more or less…blew the doors off my SGT’s car.
      I have topped that speed on a city street...in first gear. But keep 'em coming, guys...

Comment

Were you and your partner driving side by side on a two lane road splitting to pass the Sgt between you as you hit the freeway going faster…?

Nope.

You don’t always have to top everyone every time.

Comment

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          No brother, I wasn't. I wasn't even on duty.

And I certainly was not the fastest ever. I wasn't even in high gear.

I cherry-picked this subject because of a little trivia that I will get to, once this thread has run it's course.

Spoiler alert: You're going to tell us that there are some Portland city streets that have no speed limits, and that you have done 190 mph on N. Cottonwood Street which is part of the Portland International Raceway.

Comment

Wow, looks like the troll was up late last night searching through my stuff. It was so nice around here when he was banned...

Comment

Nah. I have a mind like a steel trap...much to the delight of prosecutors and dismay of defense attorneys.

It was peaceful (although a bit boring) around here when you couldn't figure out how to get online after your ruggedized waterproof phone crapped out.

Comment

I’ve always driven at or below the posted speed limit, and I’ve never driven at a speed that wasn’t prudent and reasonable for the conditions then and there existing.

Comment

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol. Sounds defensible...

145 and the car was a POS, scary, made a lot of noise, won't ever do it again.

Comment

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                A marked patrol car I would assume?

The fastest I've gone in a marked patrol car was 135 mph on my way to an OIS, but the car had four bent wheels and cheap Korean tires that replaced the OEM Goodyears that a rookie blew out. I had my foot to the floor, but it wouldn't go any faster- it felt like driving a paint shaker.
                Last edited by Aidokea; 10-04-2021, 05:41 PM.

• emtguy89
                emtguy89 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup marked and I'm surprised it didn't blow up. 08 Charger POS.

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                Ours were Chevrolets (Australian Holdens). We went to them after Ford quit making the Crown Vic. Something about going from 17" wheels to 18" wheels with low profile tires, was just beyond a number of the rookies. A nice tall speed bump at 75 mph would bend all four, and sometime blow out the tires. The stock Goodyears were pretty good, but our agency was buying cheap off-brand Korean tires to replace the Goodyears with, and they were pretty bad.

I'm a little hesitant to say this here but the statute of limitations has long since expired; I'll never be a cop anyhow; and for the benefit of any background investigators I haven't done anything remotely like this in 30 years. But...

I won't say where, except that it was somewhere between Texas and Florida, and I won't say when, except that Reagan was President. But I was on my way to my new duty station in my 1962 Plymouth Fury, the one which cost me all of fifty bucks and which I drove for the next nine years. I had just put new radial tires and new brakes all around on the beast, and the suspension bushings and shocks were in good shape. I'm on a lonely southern 2-lane road late at night, straight as a string for miles, and I get the wild hair on, "Wonder what she can do if I open her up?"

Foot to the floor and the typewriter Torqueflite in "drive", that poly-head 318 roared as much as the 2-barrel Carter carburetor would allow. "Christine" (my mother's appellation) had an economy-minded 2.73 rear end so she was no dragster...but you couldn't find the top end. I looked down at the round 120 mph speedometer; the needle was passing by the odometer for its second trip around the dial! At that point I got scared and backed off to (close to!) the posted speed limit.

Should I mention that "Christine" had no seat belts?

Comment

Originally posted by ehbowen View Post
                I'm a little hesitant to say this here but the statute of limitations has long since expired; I'll never be a cop anyhow; and for the benefit of any background investigators I haven't done anything remotely like this in 30 years. But...

I won't say where, except that it was somewhere between Texas and Florida, and I won't say when, except that Reagan was President. But I was on my way to my new duty station in my 1962 Plymouth Fury, the one which cost me all of fifty bucks and which I drove for the next nine years. I had just put new radial tires and new brakes all around on the beast, and the suspension bushings and shocks were in good shape. I'm on a lonely southern 2-lane road late at night, straight as a string for miles, and I get the wild hair on, "Wonder what she can do if I open her up?"

Foot to the floor and the typewriter Torqueflite in "drive", that poly-head 318 roared as much as the 2-barrel Carter carburetor would allow. "Christine" (my mother's appellation) had an economy-minded 2.73 rear end so she was no dragster...but you couldn't find the top end. I looked down at the round 120 mph speedometer; the needle was passing by the odometer for its second trip around the dial! At that point I got scared and backed off to (close to!) the posted speed limit.

Should I mention that "Christine" had no seat belts?
                Buddy, I know you write fiction, but that's a whopper.

There is no possible way for a stock 1962 Plymouth Fury with a 2-barrel 318 and a TorqueFlite to do 120 mph, much less the rest of your story.

The advertised horsepower on that engine was 230 at 4,400 rpm, but the actual net horsepower on a new one in perfect running order was actually about 150 horsepower. That particular combination only came with a 2.76:1 final drive ratio.

My arithmetic shows that car would be all done by about 110 mph, and again, that would be on a new one in perfect condition. Engines in those days deteriorated MUCH faster than modern engines, so if it was a $50 used car, I'd be surprised if it was actually capable of even reaching 100 mph.

Non-certified speedometers have always tended to exaggerate. At normal freeway speeds, they tend to be close enough, but at higher speeds, the error tends to he greater, and on older cars like that, they tended to get REALLY carried away at higher speeds. So you may have seen an INDICATED 120 mph on the speedometer, but I can assure you that you were doing nowhere near that.

Comment

The speedometer was most definitely not calibrated and probably was reading high; not disputing that. But the experience was exactly as I relate.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4091 users online. 252 members and 3839 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X