Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I accept a federal law enforcement job or stay in my current job?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I accept a federal law enforcement job or stay in my current job?

I’m currently working as a security contractor getting paid $38/hr, and my Border Patrol background check is nearly over. Assuming that I get accepted into a Border Patrol job, should I stay in my current job or accept BP? What would you do?

Not sure what the $38/hr has to do with your question. Is that good pay or crappy pay? I am pretty sure BPAs can make a fair bit more than that if money is a concern.

Really I don't get what you are asking. I assume you applied for a reason. Security contractor can mean a lot of different things so I have no idea how to compare one job to the other apart from the pay you mentioned. I've known a lot of BPAs and former BPAs and I think most were happy in the job most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by 9L81 View Post
      Not sure what the $38/hr has to do with your question. Is that good pay or crappy pay? I am pretty sure BPAs can make a fair bit more than that if money is a concern.

Really I don't get what you are asking. I assume you applied for a reason. Security contractor can mean a lot of different things so I have no idea how to compare one job to the other apart from the pay you mentioned. I've known a lot of BPAs and former BPAs and I think most were happy in the job most of the time.
      I should have clarified that the contract job pays well, but health benefits suck and there’s no career growth at all. I’m leaning towards BP because I can transfer my military time-in-service and better career growth/benefits.

Comment

BP makes sense in the long run. Sure, you'll be taking a pay cut initially, however the long term benefits far outweigh that. Plus a contract gig could disappear overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Camelbak View Post
          BP makes sense in the long run. Sure, you'll be taking a pay cut initially, however the long term benefits far outweigh that. Plus a contract gig could disappear overnight.

^^^^^ agree

Comment

Originally posted by BorderGuy101 View Post
            I’m currently working as a security contractor getting paid $38/hr, and my Border Patrol background check is nearly over. Assuming that I get accepted into a Border Patrol job, should I stay in my current job or accept BP? What would you do?
            NOBODY here can tell you what to do.
            We don't' know your situation, life plans, dreams, goals or anything other than the 3 sentence post.

A Federal LEO job has a plethora of benefits attached such as insurance, pension, ability to transfer, and career ladder options.

A contractor job is basically you working for yourself under contract to someone else so MOSTLY you are responsible for all the fringe benefits ..

Your life, your choice
            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You will make up the pay difference within the first 3-5 years. Retirement is excellent, you can buy back military time, benefits are outstanding, union with free college benefit, TSP (like a 401k, some people cash out at $1 mil when they retire), you can move on to a lot of other agencies with the same retirement if you don't like it or get tired of it (5 years BP + 5 years ERO + 10 years HSI = retired). And once you're out of probation, it is nearly impossible to get fired.

Comment

You can always go back to contracting if you need to. The opportunity to become a fed LEO may not happen again, especially if you’re facing an age timer.

Comment

Just curious, are you prior military? If so, buying back pension time is an amazing deal and typically way cheaper than what states charge. It's based upon what you earned while you served and not your salary as an officer.

Something to consider if it applies to you.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

I am an advocate of pension systems. I know what I would choose.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
                      I am an advocate of pension systems. I know what I would choose.
                      I am not a FED retiree but a State retiree.

I LOVE my monthly visit from the Pension Fairy...................
                      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• BNWS
                        BNWS commented
                        Editing a comment
                        LOL! congrats. It's nice to know that the pension fairy is alive and well in Iowa. I wish you many more visits.

• Iowa #1603
                        Iowa #1603 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Going on 11 yrs now !

• BNWS
                        BNWS commented
                        Editing a comment
                        7 years for me.

You need to think long-term, which is a government gig with benefits, a pension, and a possibility for career growth.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, you guys pretty much helped me to solidy my decision to choose a Border Patrol option over the current contract job.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
                          Winter_Patriot commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Congrats and good luck.

Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
                        Just curious, are you prior military? If so, buying back pension time is an amazing deal and typically way cheaper than what states charge. It's based upon what you earned while you served and not your salary as an officer.

Something to consider if it applies to you.
                        Yup, I’m a former 11B with eight years of TIS.

Comment

Originally posted by BorderGuy101 View Post
                          Thanks for the replies! Yeah, you guys pretty much helped me to solidy my decision to choose a Border Patrol option over the current contract job.
                          Good luck!

Stick around and keep us updated.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2772 users online. 193 members and 2579 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X