300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your thoughts on this?

I was reading this story on local news web pages, and it seems members of the public are upset with how the officers handled this incident. I was curious to get other's input on it.

BRIDGEWATER, S.D.-- A high-speed chase killed three people Thursday night after the driver, with three of his children in the vehicle, crashed into a tree near Bridgewater.

The driver and two of his children died when the minivan hit a tree and burst into flames, according to Davison County sheriff's deputy Mark Vaughan. A third passenger in the minivan was airlifted to a Sioux Falls hospital.

"At times, he was driving at 90 or better on gravel roads," Vaughan said. "(He) would not stop for stop signs, he went right through. He ended up taking this road, and probably going too fast for the road conditions, went off the road."

Neither the driver nor any of the children have been identified.

It began after the man went to his mother or grandmother's house in Ethan, tied her up and took his three children, Vaughan said. The man had a knife and was wanted on a parole violation.

A Hanson County sheriff's deputy spotted him on Interstate 90, and the driver started to give chase about 6:30 p.m.

They headed south eight to 10 miles to Bridgewater along Highway 42, onto Highway 262 and eventually crashed on 269th Street four miles south of town. Stop spikes were attempted on Highways 42 and 262, but the driver went around them.

The chase stayed mostly on back roads, and the driver hit speeds of at least 90 miles per hour, Vaughan said.

Scott Glanzer and his wife, Rhonda, live on a farm near the crash site.

They were at his daughter's softball game when he started getting calls from friends that there was a fire near his farm.

When they had someone check up on it, they learned there had been an accident.

"You hear two little kids get killed, you never hear of this in a small community," Glanzer said. "Being this close to it is another scary feeling."

There's no information on why the driver took the kids.

The Highway Patrol and the state Division of Criminal Investigation are investigating.

Gallus Thill, who runs Cooks Inn in Ethan, said the town of 350 people is a close-knit community.

He hadn't heard much about the incident but said it was surprising.

"I can't believe that would happen," he said. "I would figure everybody in this town should be levelheaded enough to know that you're not going to outrun the cops."
    si vis pacem para bellum

It is a shame that all of them died when in reality, they didn't have to. The actions of the perp were just plained stupid. What was he thinking? That he was going to evade the cops in the boon docks?

It costed him his life and the lives of two others, children, for that matter. No sympathy here, only for the children and survivor(s).

Comment

I read the same articles. It's a completely tragic situation but one that was unescapeable by the police. It's one of those IMHO [I]have to chase[/] situations.
      Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
      I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
      Originally posted by weinerdog2000
      as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

People should not blame the Officer's. If they would've done a 180 and ended the chase and the perp latter killed the kids then the Officers would be catching it for breaking the chase off. It's a sad Lose- Lose for the Officers and even worse for the kids and family.
        Your a daisy if you do.

Comment

He tied up his grandmother,he kidnapped his children,he is a parole violator.I honestly dont think he was trying to get the kids to Disneyland.IMHO,without the pursuit the kids (all) would be dead,with the pursuit there was a percentage chance of survival(one did),and who is to say what other actions he would have taken against the general public,if he would do this to his own family.
          Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

and it seems members of the public are upset with how the officers handled this incident
            I don't know why...they cops pursued a criminal. They did their job.

The guy killed himself and 2 children in the process (whether accidentally or intentionally). He drove the car into a tree; he killed them.

I don't see how the cops did anything wrong.

Comment

That was my point, I thought it was handled well. Plenty of arm chair qb's aren't in agreement. Quite a few have mentioned "writing their representative" to draft a law that law enforcement couldn't pursue someone over a certain speed....definate sheep mentality
              si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

I went to college in that area and I can understand why some people would want that. It's very shocking to the sense's of those in that community that something of that magnitude could happen. Unfortunately the same people that would write their representative about it are the same ones that would want the police to make an apprehension if it had an effect on them personally.
                Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

After reading about this and hearing it on the net, I firmly beleive he was going to kill his kids or the wife/ex wife was never going to see them again. He sent a letter to his wife and it's pretty disturbing. This guy was also on trustee unit from what I hear.

Comment

We have had two similar incidents around here. One was a chase where the suspect ended up crashing killing himself, his passenger and two others in a second vehicle. The most recent was a stolen truck occupied by the father and his girlfriends two kids. They crashed and all three were killed. In both cases the pursuits were good but the LEO's involved were hammered by the media pretty hard.
                    A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

It's tragic that the children were killed but let's see...

Wanted felon kidnaps children at knife point and ties up their grandmother. Police chase said felon. That's kinda what we do isn't it?
                      Not all encounters between police and wanted felons end well.
                      Not sure what else they could've done.
                      Don't chase? Then what if they find the kids dead where the guy murdered them?
                      It's real easy to second guess the wreck but they didn't have any good options.

Comment

Originally posted by TX Heat View Post
                        It's tragic that the children were killed but let's see...

Wanted felon kidnaps children at knife point and ties up their grandmother. Police chase said felon. That's kinda what we do isn't it?
                        Not all encounters between police and wanted felons end well.
                        Not sure what else they could've done.
                        Don't chase? Then what if they find the kids dead where the guy murdered them?
                        It's real easy to second guess the wreck but they didn't have any good options.
                        I agree. The problem is the media only wants to portray one side of the story. They never mentioned the officers had no clue the kids were in the vehicle (our policy would require us to terminate). They did the job the best they could based on the info they had.
                        A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6524 users online. 366 members and 6158 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X