Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Shooter quick questionnaire - for Law Enforcement Officers

Hi all,

I work at a University in Australia and was hoping to gather some information related to active shooter events, specifically the initial response stage.

One key reason I ask here is that US Law Enforcement tends to have significantly more experience in this area than my local LE.

This is to help test and assess some assumptions about an idea that seeks to drive a faster response and with more Officer safety, and ideally fewer casualties. To do that I seek to understand your thoughts and responses to some questions - as they are now.

It'll take around 5 minutes, has 7 questions, and all data is confidential and only stored securely on Google cloud with strict access controls.

I was hoping as many Law Enforcement Officers here as possible could respond - I would really appreciate your experience in this area.

A second questionnaire will later be opened up - but with a different type of site but also with an Active Shooter to see if anything is different.

Thanks for your time - please let me know if you have any questions or advice. Hopefully the questionnaire is self explanatory!

The more responses, the merrier!

The Google Forms link is below.

I look forward to your reviews.

Regards,

Richard

Google Forms Active Shooter LEA Questionnaire:

https://forms.gle/tFbzttZmakuLVMSz7

Monash University is one of Australia’s leading universities and ranks among the world’s top 100. We help change lives through research and education. Learn more.
    Last edited by sirrichard; 08-31-2021, 10:23 PM.

Hi guys,
    Any more responses would be appreciated...I have already learned a couple of important things.

This is an idea that is directly intended to help you with Active Shooter events - if it goes ahead, this is a good chance to feed your thoughts and preferences into the concept very early.

You are the primary beneficiaries of this, in addition to potential civilian victims.

If people think there is a better place to seek information from numerous LE and that this isn't the right place, please let me know where. (For example another website, another forum on this website etc).

Google Forms Active Shooter LEA Questionnaire:

https://forms.gle/tFbzttZmakuLVMSz7

Comment

No one knows you, your bona fides, or even if you are who you say you are. As a rule, police officers are very reluctant to respond to this type of thing. You will probably get better results by contacting police chiefs and explaining what you are doing (which also allows them to vet you), and then they can push it out internally and ask for cooperation if they so choose.

Comment

If you want any chance of getting responses, then you should consider a few things...

First, read Just Joe's post.

Second, you should clarify your purpose. You make comments about wanting to gather information, "assess some assumptions," and help us in active shooter scenarios. All of this sounds nice, except that it's very vague and non-specific. You need to tell us your purpose beyond vague platitudes...we're LEO's and we probe people for information on a daily basis, so we have a pretty good idea when someone is dancing around. Your info also indicates that you're affiliated with a university, so I'm not sure if you have the foundational experience or knowledge to build on to help experienced LEO's in active shooter scenarios.

Third, you could post your questions above so officers can decide if they feel it's appropriate to respond to your survey. I opened your survey and it won't let me scan through the questions...that's a no-go for me. I don't know if your survey goes into questions of tactics or capabilities but I can tell you that we don't discuss that here or with unknown people in the public. Our tactics keep us and other people alive...we don't share that with someone we don't know needs that info because it may fall into the hands of bad guys.

Fourth, your info says you're in Australia. Info from mostly American LEO's is going to have very little use to you, as we live in very different societies...especially when it comes to LE and firearms. At the same time, "suggestions" from someone in Australia are unlikely to help American LEO's for the same reason.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

As an AS Instructor…I don’t need any tips from other countries since you don’t have the same factors we do.

As a rule, we don’t do anyone’s homework assignments.

Comment

Your questionnaire says responses are confidential, but when I click on the survey link it immediately identified my email address. In this time when police officers are publicly identified, called out and attacked by detractors for their responses to controversial issues, I doubt I will be participating in your survey.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
              No one knows you, your bona fides, or even if you are who you say you are. As a rule, police officers are very reluctant to respond to this type of thing. You will probably get better results by contacting police chiefs and explaining what you are doing (which also allows them to vet you), and then they can push it out internally and ask for cooperation if they so choose.
              Fair call Joe - I am happy to identify myself to anyone in LE who is trusted here including via Video chat, work email, and LinkedIn profile. I didn't want to openly do so via a post.

My main issue is the US is a big place and I do not have LE contacts there, hence why I tracked down this forum to put it out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
                If you want any chance of getting responses, then you should consider a few things...

First, read Just Joe's post.

Second, you should clarify your purpose. You make comments about wanting to gather information, "assess some assumptions," and help us in active shooter scenarios. All of this sounds nice, except that it's very vague and non-specific. You need to tell us your purpose beyond vague platitudes...we're LEO's and we probe people for information on a daily basis, so we have a pretty good idea when someone is dancing around. Your info also indicates that you're affiliated with a university, so I'm not sure if you have the foundational experience or knowledge to build on to help experienced LEO's in active shooter scenarios.

Third, you could post your questions above so officers can decide if they feel it's appropriate to respond to your survey. I opened your survey and it won't let me scan through the questions...that's a no-go for me. I don't know if your survey goes into questions of tactics or capabilities but I can tell you that we don't discuss that here or with unknown people in the public. Our tactics keep us and other people alive...we don't share that with someone we don't know needs that info because it may fall into the hands of bad guys.

Fourth, your info says you're in Australia. Info from mostly American LEO's is going to have very little use to you, as we live in very different societies...especially when it comes to LE and firearms. At the same time, "suggestions" from someone in Australia are unlikely to help American LEO's for the same reason.

Makes sense.

But keep in mind I cant explain exactly what I am thinking about as a thing to do as it will sway the results. Hence why testing assumptions is done in initially - that is normal practice. Ask about some problems I think may exist to see if they do indeed exist, as initially assumed. If they dont, then the assumptions arent valid - and neither is the idea. Example of this common approach: https://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/...r-assumptions/

The idea is one that will predominantly be of use in the US more than here, which is why US views are really more important than local views here. You would have more such events in a week than we have in a year. Far more experience.

I didn't post the questions here for the reason you mention - I don't think people should respond here as I don't think the information should be widely disseminated for the same reason you do.

I am happy to identify myself to any LEO here to any extent, just off-forum and with some confidence the person on the other end is an LEO. I have nothing to hide. And yes, 100% it is a sensitive topic.

I am a tech guy with a couple of decades deep tech involvement, and I work at a Uni currently. I disagree with your statement about having nothing I can likely add to some scenarios. That is exactly what I want to test. I am pretty confident technology already plays an important role in your day to day be it via radios, huge local and federal databases your checks on IDs and license plates use etc. They are each examples of technology helping in the field. And somehow I doubt they are the last tech improvements you will see. The idea I have is an all new one.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                  Your questionnaire says responses are confidential, but when I click on the survey link it immediately identified my email address. In this time when police officers are publicly identified, called out and attacked by detractors for their responses to controversial issues, I doubt I will be participating in your survey.
                  Apologies it is using Google Forms which will show your ID to you if you are logged into your Gmail account in uour browser. That doesnt mean I see it, but it does let you do things like go back and continue the survey etc.

The settings are to not collect any emails unless you type it in manually to the question where I ask if you are OK to be contacted when the second survey is ready.

I cant fix that - it is smarts added by google! Use a different browser or one where you arent signed in, and you wont see your email being known by the survey.

Comment

Guys the concerns expressed are 100% reasonable - let me work on getting some credibility, be it via someone well known here checking me out personally, or via higher level LE means.

Comment

Yall are crazy for clicking the link. How do any of you know that it's not some virus or other crazy computer mess?

Comment

OP can’t figure out the differences between US LE and Aussie LE OPS.

Comment

Given that you are NOT LE, you would be better partnering with AFP or one of your State Police and getting them to liaise, OFFICIALLY, with USA Federal, State, County / Aboriginal - First Nations - Indigenous / Municipal Agencies to try to help you out. Same applies if you were looking for Commonwealth nation responses - being I am retired, I am not of much use to you...and barely would have been "back in the day"!
                          #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                          Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                          RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                          Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                          "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3040 users online. 130 members and 2910 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X