300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is incarceration so interesting ?

It seems like the American public has this fascination with incarceration and the prison system. Dateline has been doing a series for ages now where it does a documentary on a different correctional facility every week. Obviously people are watching.

But why? Why do you think this is so interesting to those outside of LE?

I'm interested in watching that sort of thing because it shows me how little I know about what goes on inside prisons.

Every time I watch prison shows, I get ticked off at all the privileges the inmates have.

Comment

waay too much protection and privledge for dirtbags....waaay too little for victims and their families.

Comment

Schadenfreude....

Like soap operas and WWE...

Besides, many of us either know someone who went vacationing as a guest of the state or should have. It's kind of nice to know the system works to some extent.
        They're called 'learning opportunities'.

Comment

Incarceration is big business...
          shepherdess extraordinaire

"Man stands in his own shadow and wonders why it is dark."- Zen proverb

Comment

Originally posted by fair witness View Post
            Incarceration is big business...
            And free-range convicts would be a better business model?
            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Free-range, that's cute...makes a tastier chicken...
              Incarceration was an attempt to come up with a more humane system of dealing with crime than the stocks, flogging, etc. I don't think it's a one-size-fits-all solution to human misbehavior. I think it sometimes creates bigger problems than it solves. I am not saying I know exactly how to solve those problems myself, but I'm a student of the whole situation and I AM sure that we as a society can come up with better answers than the high incarceration rates complete with revolving door that we have at the moment.
              Restorative justice is NOT a dirty word(s). Not expecting a lot of agreement around here but those are my beliefs, and they're not just outta nowhere.
              One theory: Short, HORRIBLE, jail sentences might be more effective for first time offenders than slap on the wrist consequences like probation. Get 'em in and feed 'em veggie loaf and work them 12 hours a day and bore them to distraction- for two weeks or a month. DO NOT give them time to get "acclimated." Turn 'em back out to try some self-improvement while the shock's still fresh.
              shepherdess extraordinaire

"Man stands in his own shadow and wonders why it is dark."- Zen proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Presence View Post
                It seems like the American public has this fascination with incarceration and the prison system. Dateline has been doing a series for ages now where it does a documentary on a different correctional facility every week. Obviously people are watching.

But why? Why do you think this is so interesting to those outside of LE?
                Good question.

I think its just another kind of exciting 'reality show' that people like. Just like Cops, or one of the 100 other ones.

I like the show, even tho i think i already know a little bit more than people who have never visited, because i visit on a volunteer basis to prisoners that dont get other visits, and i've been doing it for over 10 years.

As for their privleges, their freedom is gone, and thats what they never forget...any minute of any day. Whether they have a TV and weights or not. And yes, that's one of the points of prison...to punish by removing freedom. The other is rehabilitation, where possible.

Comment

People often say they'd like to dump all the convicts on a deserted island and let them kill each other...I'd pay to watch that.

On a serious note I agree with the reality TV angle. Most people will never see the inside of a prison so there's a natural curiosity. That's why I like "Deadliest Catch" (fishing for King Crab) and "American Choppers" (building bikes), you can see/learn about things that you'd otherwise never experience.
                  Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lic-T View Post
                    waay too much protection and privledge for dirtbags....waaay too little for victims and their families.
                    DING DING DING

Couldn't agree more.
                    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                    Oscar Wilde

Comment

curiosity

pure and simple. the ones that come out and talk aobut it, and brag aabout their stories, well, thers no other way to verify that. (and we all know how they brag about.......stuff)

Sadly, its like showing people where they dont want to go but what can happen when in there. The dirt bags think "at least Im on TV"..be it COPS, OZ or what ever. Its almost like a walk on the wild side, safely of course.

of courswe you have the prison groupies that watch and pick their new man from the show.........
                      ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                      Oscar Wilde

Comment

I got interested in the subject when I saw real criminals doing real harm.

Comment

I like to see how other "states" run their prisons. I watched one where the building looked like a castle.
                          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop View Post
                            People often say they'd like to dump all the convicts on a deserted island and let them kill each other...I'd pay to watch that.
                            Seemed to work out ok for Australia
                            The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed on the streets

Comment

Originally posted by Jessyca View Post
                              Seemed to work out ok for Australia

And Georgia....
                              They're called 'learning opportunities'.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6357 users online. 349 members and 6008 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X