300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Calls the Forensic Nurse?

Around here, when an officer brings a victim to the hospital for examination after hours, it is his responsibility to call a forensic nurse to meet him there. But it seems that the officers often forget, or it takes them a long time to call, which means some waiting time at the hospital.

So I was just curious about how they do it in everyone else's area. Sometimes I wonder if dispatch might be able to handle the arrangements more efficiently.

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

If you are talking about sexual assault responder, our officers request thru dispatch.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

So do ours. The sexual forensic exam is done at a separate place from the hospital, at the Sexual Assualt Center. Which is a confidential and secret location.

It's not manned 24-7, so a nurse has to be called in to make the examination.
      "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Oh, okay. Thanks. I don't think any of the depts around here do it that way. Not only that, but if I call dispatch to ask whether an officer has contacted a nurse, they have absolutely no clue and have to put me through to him personally. Or I have to call him direct, which I think must be a distraction when he is with a victim.

I think the way you guys do it would be easier.

Comment

Gene, this is probably a dumb question, but why is it at a secret location? For ours we have to punch in a code to get in, so it's somewhat secure, but it's still right there in the regular hospital.

Comment

Well, I'm sure every department has their own procedures, but our call-out is generally not done until a preliminary examination is done at the hospital.

And I can't imagine that dispatch would be authorized to tell someone whether or not the call-out has been made. You could be the perp, for all we know, that information is considered confidential.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Entre Nous View Post
              Gene, this is probably a dumb question, but why is it at a secret location? For ours we have to punch in a code to get in, so it's somewhat secure, but it's still right there in the regular hospital.
              Frequently, a sexual assault case is made by someone who knows the victim. They would assume the victim went to the hospital, and could follow her there to either do her further harm or intimidate her. So, she goes off to a safe place where only the deputy, the nurse, her and possibly a friend are present. Makes her feel far more secure.

Besides, the local hospitals aren't set up for forensic examinations. It takes special equipment, cameras and such, and these are kept at the Assault Center rather than having to be dragged around by the Nurse on call.

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                And I can't imagine that dispatch would be authorized to tell someone whether or not the call-out has been made. You could be the perp, for all we know, that information is considered confidential.
                Well, maybe that's why they give me to the officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene L View Post
                  Frequently, a sexual assault case is made by someone who knows the victim. They would assume the victim went to the hospital, and could follow her there to either do her further harm or intimidate her. So, she goes off to a safe place where only the deputy, the nurse, her and possibly a friend are present. Makes her feel far more secure.

Besides, the local hospitals aren't set up for forensic examinations. It takes special equipment, cameras and such, and these are kept at the Assault Center rather than having to be dragged around by the Nurse on call.
                  Yes, we do have one hospital which is used almost all the time with few exceptions. But I had never heard of the location being at all kept a secret. Maybe it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                    Well, I'm sure every department has their own procedures, but our call-out is generally not done until a preliminary examination is done at the hospital.

Once our hospitals are notified of a sexual assault, they stop the examination immediately (unless there's a serious condition that needs to be attended to.)

This is good, because untrained nurses will screw up a good forensic examination. We send a deputy to the hospital, he calls for the on-call investigator (assuming it's night) through dispatch, who also has a list of on-call Nurses. Either the dispatcher or the deputy can call the nurse, but she advises when she'll be at the Center.

The call-out isn't confidential, but names and details etc. are. Usually, this comes from the hospital over a land line, and a dispatcher tells an officer to go to the hospital for a reported sexual assault. Anyway, my department is small enough that a dispatcher would recognize the investigator, but having called the off-duty investigator to report the crime, (usually) this is not a concern. Calling the investigator on duty, the dispatcher would call the office. Again, no security problem.

The victim stays at the hospital until she's transported by our deputy to the Center for an exam. Then she's either turned over to her friends, or taken home by our deputy.
                    Last edited by Gene L; 06-13-2007, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Once our hospitals are notified of a sexual assault, they stop the examination immediately (unless there's a serious condition that needs to be attended to.)

This is good, because untrained nurses will screw up a good forensic examination. We send a deputy to the hospital, he calls for the on-call investigator (assuming it's night) through dispatch, who also has a list of on-call Nurses. Either the dispatcher or the deputy can call the nurse, but she advises when she'll be at the Center.

The call-out isn't confidential, but names and details etc. are. Usually, this comes from the hospital over a land line, and a dispatcher tells an officer to go to the hospital for a reported sexual assault. Anyway, my department is small enough that a dispatcher would recognize the investigator, but having called the off-duty investigator to report the crime, (usually) this is not a concern. Calling the investigator on duty, the dispatcher would call the office. Again, no security problem.

The victim stays at the hospital until she's transported by our deputy to the Center for an exam. Then she's either turned over to her friends, or taken home by our deputy.
                      That's pretty much the same here. Only the deputy can initiate the call-outs though, so we don't handle that until he advises.

We also use a seperate facility.

We just have a general policy of not giving info out over the phone to random people calling and asking questions. Media people are always trying to get around calling the Newsline, and will call dispatch trying to get the inside scoop. We also don't want to put the victim at any additional risk by letting the wrong person know the scope of the investigation.

sigpic

Comment

When we arrest a DWI and they request blood, we had dispatch call the service that dispatches a nurse, and they came to the station. If it was a T/C with injuries, the nurse met us at the hospital.
                        The nurses also did the suspect rape kits, which was done at the station.
                        Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
                        Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

Originally posted by 1oldsarge View Post
                          When we arrest a DWI and they request blood, we had dispatch call the service that dispatches a nurse, and they came to the station. If it was a T/C with injuries, the nurse met us at the hospital.
                          The nurses also did the suspect rape kits, which was done at the station.
                          I remember the days when a hospital ER would draw blood for a DUI charge. No more. They get tied up court, and simply won't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1oldsarge View Post
                            When we arrest a DWI and they request blood, we had dispatch call the service that dispatches a nurse, and they came to the station.
                            That's what they do around here too, although it's my understanding that some are only phlebotomists and don't have the nursing creds.

Comment

I remember the days when a hospital ER would draw blood for a DUI charge. No more. They get tied up court, and simply won't do it.
                              We had the problem for a bit, until the courts decided that hospital employees who refuse to comply with a blood draw can be arrested and held criminally liable for obstruction. Every once in awhile we get some new mush head nurse or doc who thinks they're above the law. Its amazing how much compliance you get when the silver bracelets come out though.
                              Originally posted by kontemplerande
                              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6159 users online. 332 members and 5827 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X