300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• failing FTO

I was told yesterday that I am going to be terminated for not responding to training. I was told I have the most desire to be a officer my department has seen in a very long time but I just don't meet the standard they have set for the department. My Chief offered me a job in the jail, but I have been told the pay is half of what I am making now. I am not a young kid, I am 35 I have been a Marine and worked in the corporate world before this. I would take the job in the jail but it would barley pay for daycare. I also promised my chief if I took the job I'd be in it for the log hall and not leave after three months. I just can't see myself making the same amount of money I did when I was 18. just a little more background, like I said, I am 35, I'm married, have a two year old son and one on the way.... My question is what is the difference between me resigning and them terminating me because I failed FTO? When I go to a new department I am still going to have to tell them I failed FTO. My Captain said that was up to me if I wanted to tell them that. LOL I said wouldn't that be lying, and he said that’s up to you. I just don't know what to do. Any advice ya'll?
    look for another position you will be ok.
    64.52%
    take the detention officer job even though it might break you
    35.48%
    Last edited by jeff7871; 06-15-2007, 11:12 AM.

My question is what is the difference between me resigning and them terminating me because I failed FTO?

When you get terminated, POST (assuming you're POST certified) has to investigate (in my area) and file a report. If you resign, POST does not investigate.

Will you Chief specifically tell you where you failed to meet requirements, and is he open to a request to extend your training period?

Always better to resign than get fired, IMO. Unless you have a actionable reason for being fired.
    "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

This was a TYPO
      Last edited by jeff7871; 06-13-2007, 11:12 AM.

Comment

The reason being terminated would be better is because if I would be able to collect unemployment while I looked for another job. I don't want to live with the people I have been arresting for the last four months. I live in Texas so we are TCLEOSE certified. I still don't see what the difference would be as far as a department is concerned... I still failed FTO. I was given one month to better my marks on FTO. The problems I was having were I would have to call RP back on occasion (maybe a couple of times a week) and I had some problem with geography ( I would go north on accident instead of going south, but would always correct myself and get to where I needed to be, and I would sometimes take a longer route to get someplace). they just felt I could not get out of doing this and that is pretty much the jist of it. I make all the same mistakes everyone else does, but I guess I made them more. I am not mad, I love my department and would never say anything bad about them. I mean they gave me my break, ya know?

Comment

Does your area have a Reserve program? If so, why not go back into corporate employment and still do the police gig? If your heart is in Law Enforcement there is always a way to satisfy both worlds of money AND interests.
          I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

Comment

what other LE places are around there. And just because you told him you would be in it for the long aul, doesnt mean you HAVE To be. Understand, its always better to resign then be termed. if thers other places, take the jail job, shop other LE places and wehn you get picked up......cya later.

and you have the right to say I cant make it on this money, I tried and it didnt work. Thats what I would do. Honestly, he is offering a job so in texas you wouldnt have a good shot of unemployment, except that the pay is differant. its the same line....
            ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
            Oscar Wilde

Comment

I ageee with chickee. And get a Tom Tom if you can't find a place...about $100. I've got one.

Comment

I am going to try to negotiate the salary. Texas says I don't have to take a job that is less than 10% of what I am making. I would be able to make it on 35,000 maybe a little less a year and be able to pay my bills and daycare. I just really don't want to have to claim bankruptcy or put my family in danger of being put out on the street. I hope this makes sense? if I was a young kid and didn't have a family things might be different.

Comment

jeff, I'd check before I did anything presumptious. It would seem you are a "conditional" employee until you pass FTO.

In my agency, a conditional employee can be fired because they've failed FTO. In fact, can be fired any time within 6 months as they're under probation, no cause is required. If you're fired, you can't negotiate a salary, but you can try. Just don't be too assertive in the negotiations, and I'm not sure the Texas thing you mentioned applies unless you're already a full-time employee.

Check and see, anyway.

Comment

Thanks. I guess I am just worried about my family more than anything. Sometimes a person must do what they don't want to do for the greater good of the whole team. I wish I could be selfish and just resign. Does anyone understand where I am coming from?

Comment

Yes, I think so. If you think resignation is the best way to go, do it. If you think getting fired is the best way, do that. Not enough info here to make a decision, but it seems clear the Chief intends to fire you if you don't resign.

Getting fired may not block you from another LEO job, but it won't help. Resignation would be my suggestion (if you can afford it) if you intend to try for another LEO job.

Comment

If you still have a burning desire to remain a police officer I would resign. Don't be discouraged. I got my first police job right after I was 21yoa. I just came back from the Persian Gulf War. I was a rifleman in the Marines.

I did not pass fto. I was also told that my effort and desire to do the job was exemplerary and they wanted to keep me. Made it through the eleventh month then I resigned. Looking back I understand why I was let go and I can't help but agree with the decision. I was very naive and I wanted the job so bad I defeated myself. I was so keyed up at passing the field training that I did myself in. I imagine all new recruits get bad marks starting in fto when they are new to the job. I was no different and when I started out with bad marks I could not mentally get past the failure. I couldn't believe I was doing so bad and as a result I didn't bounce back.

I went to IDOC after that and spent a few years in the jail. I also tried out for a few different departments but had no offers. My current department is the last department I decided to try out for. Fortunately I got the job and from day one I did really well.

I was baffled as to why I did so poor and then did so well on another department. I just attribute it to growing up a little and learning how to relax.
                        Sounds like you have the capability to do the job. I just wonder if you defeated yourself.

If you truly want the job don't get discouraged. Keep pressing on with the fight and you will get your offer.
                        Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Perhaps you ought to consider "resigning from the department for personal reasons" and take the job in the jail - at least for now. If someone there did not have at least a little faith in you, they would have just fired you and it all would be over - with you on the street without a job at all. They at least value you enough to keep you around, even if it is a different capacity or position.

A job making less than what you want is better than no job at all or sitting at home collecting unemployment. Besides, your chances of getting hired in the future (at your current agency or any other one) will be greatly improved if you can say that you resigned as opposed to having "fired" on your record.

By the way, if Texas is like Virginia, your department will release all of your information (training scores, evaluations, etc.) to another law enforcement agency if you go through their hiring process. If you apply to a non-LEO (private sector) job, your department will just give the dates of your employment and say whether you were fired or you resigned.

I applaud you for having the courage to post your story on this bulletin board. Some folks here can be kind of cruel at times, but take everything with a grain of salt. If you made it through a few years in the USMC, I am confident that you will land on your feet and make a new career for yourself. At 35, you are not exactly an old man and you have ample time to decide what you want to do. I honestly wish you the best of luck, sir.

P.S. Take some time for your upcoming child, work in the jail for a spell, regroup your thoughts and put in some applications elsewhere in the future. You can do it.

10 percent of any endeavor is aptitude. The other 90 percent is attitude!
                          Last edited by VA Dutch; 06-13-2007, 08:11 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by jeff7871 View Post
                            I was told yesterday that I am going to be terminated for not responding to training. I was told I have the most desire to be a officer my department has seen in a very long time but I just don't meet the standard they have set for the department. My Chief offered me a job in the jail, but I have been told the pay is half of what I am making now. I am not a young kid, I am 35 I have been a Marine and worked in the corporate world before this. I would take the job in the jail but it would barley pay for daycare. I also promised my chief if I took the job I'd be in it for the log hall and not leave after three months. I jsut can't see myself making the same amount of money I did when I was 18. just a little more background, like I said, I am 35, I'm married, have a two year old son and one on the way.... My question is what is the difference between me resigning and I was told yesterday that I am going to be terminated for not responding to training. I was told I have the most desire to be a officer my department has seen in a very long time but I just don't meet the standard they have set for the department. My Chief offered me a job in the jail, but I have been told the pay is half of what I am making now. I am not a young kid, I am 35 I have been a Marine and worked in the corporate world before this. I would take the job in the jail but it would barley pay for daycare. I also promised my chief if I took the job I'd be in it for the log hall and not leave after three months. I jsut can't see myself making the same amount of money I did when I was 18. just a little more background, like I said, I am 35, I'm married, have a two year old son and one on the way.... My question is what is the difference between me resigning and them terminating me because I failed FTO? When I go to a new department I am still going to have to tell them I failed FTO. My Captain said that was up to me if I wanted to tell them that. LOL I said wouldn't that be lying, and he said that’s up to you. I just don't know what to do. Any advice ya'll?

Just resign. It's alwasy better than the resume. If ever asked in an interview why you resigned just reply, "police work wasn't for me." People will understand. I resigned early one year as a teacher, and that has never been questioned because people are sympathetic. Just as most people would not be teachers most people would not be policemen.

Resignation = better idea.

Also, forget being a jailer. Move on in law enforcement, or find a new profession.

Comment

A resignation always looks better than termination. Consider that when you are terminated they must now include a reason on your F5. In the past it would just say terminated..but now, they must include a reason. If you resign, it would say resigned under honorable conditions. You can explain everything to the next agency. If you are terminated then it is that much harder to get on with someone else.

I wouldn't sacrifice myself to the jail there, you don't have any loyalty to the Chief, if you can't survive then you can't survive so go do something else that allows you to make it. Everyone has trouble with geography at some point and it takes time to learn the area...sounds to me like there might be more to why they want you off the program.

Look to a Constable's office for the time being.
                              Last edited by JSD73; 06-14-2007, 10:29 PM.
                              Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6129 users online. 341 members and 5788 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X