Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer shot by gun kept under pillow

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070612/...er_pillow_shot

ALBANY, Ga. - A police officer was shot in the wrist when the service weapon that she kept under her pillow went off. Albany police Sgt. Kinshishi Adams, 34, was lying in bed Sunday when a .40 caliber pistol she kept under her pillow discharged and struck her in her left wrist, Dougherty County Police Chief Don Cheek said.

Adams was listed in good condition Tuesday at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital, hospital spokeswoman Valerie Benton said.

"She sustained an extremely serious wound to the left wrist and underwent surgery (Sunday) night," Cheek said. "Everything indicates it was just a freak accident. She apparently sleeps with a weapon under her pillow, and somehow it discharged.

"She was by herself at the time. There is no indication that anything other than what she said happened."

The incident was being investigated by county police since it happened in their jurisdiction but has been forwarded to Albany police, which is conducting an internal investigation. Albany police did not immediately return a phone message for comment Tuesday.

Both Cheek and Albany police stressed the importance of gun safety in the wake of the accident.

"We train on gun safety and we stress gun safety, but even the people who handle guns for a living, accidents happen," Cheek said. "We just stress that firearms are not toys, and even people experienced with firearms occasionally have accidents."

___

Information from: The Albany Herald, http://albanyherald.net
    Geez, how many of you guys keep your guns under your pillow?? I would be way too scared that I might just shoot myself in the head while I sleep!!
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

Other than her and 007 who does that!!!! That is just stupid!
    R.I.P. Officer Wayne McLaughlin

Comment

Was she sleeping with her finger on the trigger too?
      "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Maybe I'm just fussy, but I find it a pain in the neck (quite literally) to sleep with my daughters stuffed bear hiding under my pillow and that is soft! Sleeping with a gun under one? Yikes... maybe it doesn't make as big of as a lump as I think, however still doesn't seem like a real swift idea.
        R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
        I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

Almost a Darwin award............

I thought that only happened in the movies

Comment

Originally posted by katzeyze View Post
            Maybe I'm just fussy, but I find it a pain in the neck (quite literally) to sleep with my daughters stuffed bear hiding under my pillow and that is soft! Sleeping with a gun under one?

With the thickness of a gun you would never be able to feel it was there.

This cop watched too many cop dramas.

Comment

One of the guys I work with shot his hand while cleaning his weapon...blew half his hand off, from what i hear...

He was at home when it happened. thankfully, his family wasn't in the same room, or they may have been struck too.

You can never be too careful about these things...

I sleep with my gun in the top drawer of the bedside table next to me. Never under my pillow, mattress, etc.

Comment

That's why I have a gun near my bed, but not within reach while I'm lying down. PTS makes for some interesting nightmares, most of which deal with guns. My wife has to put up with occasionally getting hit in her sleep, I don't think she'd forgive me shooting her.

Comment

Wow...yeah, I can see how that would put a kink in things...

I don't have PTS, but I have some interesting nightmares too... I've never dreamt that I was shooting the intruder though..it's always involved physical fights... But, you have a valid point. Though, I want it within arms reach in case i ever need it.

Comment

This gives a new meaning to the term heated pillow…

After suffering a wrist injury like this, she will no long be able to practice emptying a clip while transitioning from the Superman to Summersault positions. And Inverted Neck Breaks are totally out of the question. She will have to revamp her whole training routine.

But obviously it's great to hear that she is ok.
                    I'm back in the game baby.

Not a LEO.

Comment

Originally posted by Presence View Post

I sleep with my gun in the top drawer of the bedside table next to me. Never under my pillow, mattress, etc.

Locked up in a gun case here.

Comment

Usually on my nightstand. Never under my pillow.

Comment

If nothing else she could have at least set the safety for crying out loud.
                          Jubilant Patriotic Republican

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Comment

Originally posted by JPR View Post
                            If nothing else she could have at least set the safety for crying out loud.

Most firearms that cops get issued these days don't have any "safety".

Comment

Originally posted by lionheart45 View Post
                              Most firearms that cops get issued these days don't have any "safety".
                              Most are issued with a complimentary chambered bullet aswell.
                              I'm back in the game baby.

Not a LEO.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6291 users online. 334 members and 5957 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X