NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Is this TEOTHWAWKI, the SHTF, or just plain old Armageddon?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ratatatat
    Welcome to the party, pal
    • Dec 2014

Is this TEOTHWAWKI, the SHTF, or just plain old Armageddon?

So I'm kind of a prepper. I say 'kind of' because I don't live on a mountain ridge in Northern Idaho in an off-grid bunker with goats and chickens roaming about nor do I have a membership at a survivalist community built in old missile silos. I live an hour from a large violent city and have some basic 'prepper' staples- a few weeks of food, a generator, ham radios, a few thousand rounds of ammo, little bottles of Jack Daniels to trade, etc., which makes me better prepared than 95% of the population but the reality is my supplies would quickly dwindle nor would I be able to fend off angry mobs if they were truly intent on torching my house.

So right now, I am reassessing my preparedness in regards to current events, namely:

1. Rapid rise in violent crime
    2. Stress on global supply chains
    3. Record heat and drought (if the crops in California die, we are in deep kimchee)
    4. Monkeys in Russia screwing with our computer networks
    5. ATF fixing to ban AR pistols

Also, I'm taking a lone wolf approach to this, mainly because the prepper groups in my area are mostly anti-gov militias, and I have no interest in hanging with a bunch of fat chawbacons wearing camo.

Just curious if others here see storm clouds on the horizon and what they are doing to prepare....

(TEOTHWAWKI stands for The End Of The World As We Know It, btw.)

Suburban police chief on rising violent crime: 'We’ve never seen it like this' (fox9.com)

Stretched global supply chain means shortages on summer menus | Reuters

Extreme heat forecast this weekend, all-time records in jeopardy - CNN

Ransomware attacks leave cybersecurity experts 'barely able to keep up' (nbcnews.com)

Biden's ATF Nominee David Chipman Tells Ted Cruz He Supports AR-15 Gun Ban (newsweek.com)

• Jim1648
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Ratatatat
    ...Just curious if others here see storm clouds on the horizon and what they are doing to prepare....
    The storm cloud is directly over the Evil Empire (Murderapolis) right now and it is not moving. Occasionally, some outlying areas will get affected, too.

From my perspective, keep an exit strategy in mind and prepare to pop smoke and GTFO, when it is time!
    Last edited by Jim1648; 07-11-2021, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Aidokea
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2006

The acronym is "TEOTWAWKI"- no "H"...

Comment

• Ratatatat
        Ratatatat commented
        Editing a comment
        My oopsy. Posted before caffiene kicked in.
    • Aidokea
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2006

Doing it alone is the hard part. Without others to team up with, finding (and exploiting) the chink in your armor is pretty easy. You can't cover all four sides of your house 24 hours a day, and it only takes one molotov cocktail to eliminate all of your preparedness.

Comment

• Aidokea
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2006

And once you lose water service, at least one person is gonna have to leave your house to get water, at which point your home is even more vulnerable...

Comment

• Aidokea
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2006

Surviving total societal breakdown, may not be something that it's even possible for you to prepare for.

But you can prepare for shades of it.

Living in a remote area makes you less of a target, as opposed to living in downtown Detroit.

Blending in visually, in terms of your vehicle and clothing would make you less of a target, than dressing like an airsoft DEVGRU wannabe.

I'm thinking when you're out, that carrying a pistol concealed, with long guns available from the trunk of your car, makes sense.

A hose and a battery-powered electric pump would be handy for obtaining fuel from other vehicles.

And storing as much water as you possibly can.

Comment

• kflo01
            Forum Member
            • May 2019

Originally posted by Ratatatat
            So I'm kind of a prepper. I say 'kind of' because I don't live on a mountain ridge in Northern Idaho in an off-grid bunker with goats and chickens roaming about nor do I have a membership at a survivalist community built in old missile silos. I live an hour from a large violent city and have some basic 'prepper' staples- a few weeks of food, a generator, ham radios, a few thousand rounds of ammo, little bottles of Jack Daniels to trade, etc., which makes me better prepared than 95% of the population but the reality is my supplies would quickly dwindle nor would I be able to fend off angry mobs if they were truly intent on torching my house.

So right now, I am reassessing my preparedness in regards to current events, namely:

1. Rapid rise in violent crime
            2. Stress on global supply chains
            3. Record heat and drought (if the crops in California die, we are in deep kimchee)
            4. Monkeys in Russia screwing with our computer networks
            5. ATF fixing to ban AR pistols

Also, I'm taking a lone wolf approach to this, mainly because the prepper groups in my area are mostly anti-gov militias, and I have no interest in hanging with a bunch of fat chawbacons wearing camo.

Just curious if others here see storm clouds on the horizon and what they are doing to prepare....

(TEOTHWAWKI stands for The End Of The World As We Know It, btw.)

Suburban police chief on rising violent crime: 'We’ve never seen it like this' (fox9.com)

Stretched global supply chain means shortages on summer menus | Reuters

Extreme heat forecast this weekend, all-time records in jeopardy - CNN

Ransomware attacks leave cybersecurity experts 'barely able to keep up' (nbcnews.com)

Biden's ATF Nominee David Chipman Tells Ted Cruz He Supports AR-15 Gun Ban (newsweek.com)

Always a fun topic to talk about. Being I have an adult son and a young toddler My goal would be to protect them at all costs. If the show black Summer showed us, you won't be able to trust ANYBODY. So I am not sure I would group up with people but I know there is strength in numbers to a certain degree. Yes I know it's a show but seems like how stuff would go down. I feel if SHTF that the people with the guns at that point will be in power for sure. What resources they didn't have they would use to take what they needed or wanted.

I would try to be as under the radar as possible and make it seem like I had nothing so I wasn't raided. I saw a good video some time back about this. The guy's house wasn't hit yet by looters but he went out on his yard and threw trash all over his lawn and knocked over his trash cans etc to make it look like it was looted. I thought that was pretty slick. Maybe people seeing that would think it was picked clean and pass it over, at least for a while.

Comment

• BNWS
              Forum Member
              • Sep 2009

I have no desire to live like mad max. If it gets bad I'll move. I grew up in NYC and lived here through the 70's and 80's. so I'll know when its time to go. My security system consists of a couple of cheap motion activated cameras and my service gun with a box of ammo. My dog died earlier this year so I might have to upgrade from dead dog to "live" dog.

Comment

• Aidokea
                Forum Member
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by BNWS
                If it gets bad I'll move.
                It got bad in Portland, and I moved to a rural place in central Texas. Best move I ever made...

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                  Townie Soprano
                  • Aug 2017

I don't foresee things getting this bad. It's just the usual fear-mongering.

But if it does, my bug-out bag includes my EU passport.

Comment

• Levithane
                    Forum Member
                    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town
                    I don't foresee things getting this bad. It's just the usual fear-mongering.

But if it does, my bug-out bag includes my EU passport.
                    Normally I would agree, but there's too many institutional systems that are over capacity. The court systems are over inundated, coupled with staff shortages in most if not all agencies.

Aside from the general rule of order issues, you have a press that largely doesn't tell the truth resulting in a misinformed population. Case in point Blackrock buying up homes in the housing market. You have one news source criticizing them (rightly so, but its fox news), and the other side of the spectrum news outlets are carrying the company's water.

Society is on the way out in probably 15 to 20 years, it won't go to crap tomorrow.

Comment

• tanksoldier
                      • Dec 2009

The court systems are over inundated,
                      We were just told that our county and district court is so backed up, the Chief Judge ordered that if any officer or prosecutor fails to appear for any reason their case would be dismissed, and to expect that for at least the next two years.

So…. Plan vacation six months out, but one of your cases has a hearing come up..
                      either cancel the vacation or the case is dismissed.
                      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                        Townie Soprano
                        • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Levithane

Normally I would agree, but there's too many institutional systems that are over capacity. The court systems are over inundated, coupled with staff shortages in most if not all agencies.

Aside from the general rule of order issues, you have a press that largely doesn't tell the truth resulting in a misinformed population. Case in point Blackrock buying up homes in the housing market. You have one news source criticizing them (rightly so, but its fox news), and the other side of the spectrum news outlets are carrying the company's water.

Society is on the way out in probably 15 to 20 years, it won't go to crap tomorrow.
                        We've somehow managed to make it through the pandemic and the election without too much mayhem. So many people seemed to be itching for martial law or civil war, but it all just fizzled out. I don't think what's going on now is enough to light a spark.

As far as Blackrock, the truth probably lies somewhere in between. But moderate media doesn't sell. Extreme views do.
                        Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 07-13-2021, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• tanksoldier
                          • Dec 2009

Rome wasn’t built in a day, it also didn’t fall in a day.

Few living during the last years of the Empire recognized them as the last years.

Consolidating the borders, pulling out of Britannia, Germania and other far flung provinces probably made sense... it was perfectly reasonable. Paying off enemies in stead if defeating them saved money in the long run. Splitting the empire in two made administration easier.

Allowing Romans to hire a mercenary to serve in the Legions in their place was just sensible. Issuing leather armor instead of expensive steel was economic genius. Allowing the expansion of pack trains and servants made the soldiers lives easier.

It all made sense, until somebody looked up and there was no more Roman Empire.

Even when the Vandals, the Visigoths, the Huns, sacked Rome, the Empire still existed.

We have the most powerful military in the history of Man, but we can’t protect our own soil. We have the highest standards of living in the world, but a national debt we will never pay off. We have opportunity found nowhere else on Earth, but can’t restart our economy because so many would rather live on the dole than work.

America is falling. It will take a historian 200 years from now to pinpoint the exact end, but it’s happening.
                          Last edited by tanksoldier; 07-13-2021, 03:55 PM.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Ratatatat
                            Ratatatat commented
                            Editing a comment
                            100 percent
                        • Ratatatat
                          Welcome to the party, pal
                          • Dec 2014

I've posted before about South Africa (an exceptionally beautiful, complicated, and violent country I spent time in three years ago) and how the U.S. will soon resemble their situation, where the police are underfunded and overwhelmed, private security is the 911 response, and every home and business is wrapped in electric wire. Mark my words: this will be us, soon enough....

Chaos in South Africa 'intensifies' serving as a bold warning for US - YouTube

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20573 users online. 65 members and 20508 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...