Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highway Patrol/State Police accepting laterals?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highway Patrol/State Police accepting laterals?

Are there any State Police/Highway patrol Depts who are hiring laterals that do NOT require them to attend the academy? I'm just curious. I've been asked several times this question and I tell them "no", just making sure.

Thanks!
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Highway Patrol/State Police

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
    Are there any State Police/Highway patrol Depts who are hiring laterals that do NOT require them to attend the academy? I'm just curious. I've been asked several times this question and I tell them "no", just making sure.

Thanks!
    None that I know of. Closest to a "lateral" I'm aware of is a program initiated by the Alabama Dept of Public Safety within the past two years. That program allows Officers employed by other agencies, with Alabama POST Certification, to apply to DPS. These Officers must meet all DPS requirements, go through all phases of the testing process, and attend an "abbreviated" Academy of 14 weeks. Needless to say, that is not a "lateral transfer" but it's as close as you can come. You're correct. The answer is "No". Now, there may be one out there, but I'm not aware of it.

Comment

That;s what I thought. The only one I can think of here in MD would be the MD Transportation Authority Police, and even then you have to do a 6-8wk Comparitive Compliance Session.
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
      that we are all that stands between
      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I know that Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas make you go through their academy no matter what your experince is......

Comment

CA too.......

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
          I know that Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas make you go through their academy no matter what your experince is......
          ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
          -- John Wayne

Comment

I have seen some information that NC will send currently NC certified officers to an abbreviated academy. I do not know if they give a pay boost. Assuming you came from a department that already paid into the retirement system, you would at least keep your uears.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
              The same here in the Commonwealth.
              You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.

sigpic

Comment

for state agencies (don't quote me) - i think New Hampshire, Arizona and Maine do not require any additional academy training to be a trooper so long as you can certify in their state. i believe there are others as well.
                The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day.

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post

Thanks!
                  Here they hire laterals, and from periodically the ASP holds a "certified-only" academy in which officers attend that are already experienced and certified thus the overall 21+ week ASP academy is condensed to something smaller.

The DOT aka Highway Police attend the same 12 week academy as all other cops here. Only the State Police and Little Rock P.D.'s academies are longer.

Comment

SD is going to try an abbreviated academy this go around....still have to go through some training no matter what though...
                    si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

If CHP would get rid of the do-the-academy-all-over-again requirement for laterals, they would fill their vacancies in nothing flat.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I think i saw an article in American Police Beat about Arizona DPS hiring laterals.

Comment

New Mexico
                          "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
                          - General George Patton Jr

Comment

New Mexico

"The New Mexico State Police is currently offering the "Officer Lateral Pay Program" and the "Officer Guaranteed Duty Location Program".

Officer Lateral Pay Program is designed to offer a higher STEP/Pay incentive to Officers who have between 01-05 years of previous Law Enforcement service. For example an Officer with another agency who has two (2) years of service would start with the NMSP at a STEP 2 or at
                            18.14 per hour or $37,727.00 annually.

Below is the breakdown for experience and pay.

Less than 2 years Placed at Step 1 or $ 17.48 per hour

2 but less than 3 years Placed at Step 2 or $ 18.14 per hour

3 but less than 4 years Placed at Step 3 or $ 18.80 per hour

4 but less than 5 years Placed at Step 4 or $ 19.45 per hour

5 or more years Placed at Step 5 or $ 20.11 per hour

The Guaranteed Duty Location Program is designed to keep good Officers in the community where they are from. The program starts at the beginning of the recruiting process with the applicant notifying the NMSP Training and Recruiting Bureau of the duty location they would prefer to be stationed at. Duty locations are only filled if a Tool Number or position is vacant at that location with the approval of the Chief of the New Mexico State Police. The New Mexico State Police works extremely hard at trying to get Recruits/Officers to the locations they prefer but the needs of the department must always come first. Please contact your local Recruiter or the NMSP Training and Recruiting Bureau for further information on the program."
                            "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
                            - General George Patton Jr

Comment

North Carolina State Highway Patrol does not have an lateral program but they do have an short school that runs every once in a wile for those that are already certified. It is 16 weeks long.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5584 users online. 318 members and 5266 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X