300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Orleans Officer Schilling kills himself

One of the Officers accused in the beating commited suicide. As I review the tape, I can see resistance from Robert Davis and I agree that some force is justified. But the AP videographer and reporter were told to stop taping and when the reporter held up his credentials he was roughed up. They never resisted. Just my OPINION.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/11/off....ap/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7w76PMGL18

What's your opinion?

Originally posted by iMarkVideo View Post
    One of the Officers accused in the beating commited suicide. As I review the tape, I can see resistance from Robert Davis and I agree that some force is justified. But the AP videographer and reporter were told to stop taping and when the reporter held up his credentials he was roughed up. They never resisted. Just my OPINION.

What's your opinion?
    Maybe you are looking at a different version. All I see is standing with his hands behind his back one minute, and getting brutally beat down the next.
    Last edited by bigislander72; 06-11-2007, 10:12 PM.

Comment

I only watched the YouTube video. The guy held up a badge that was hanging around his neck and the cop slammed him against the car and hollared in his face. It wasn't horrible but it was definitely way over the line.

Comment

Pretty crappy video. I didn't see anything that warranted an indictment. It would've been nearly impossible for any jury to reach a guilty verdict. R.I.P.
        Last edited by LeanG; 06-11-2007, 10:59 PM.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

What's your opinion?
          Let the man rest in peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Ten Six View Post
            +infinity
            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Amen.....

Comment

Originally posted by bigislander72 View Post
                Maybe you are looking at a different version. All I see is standing with his hands behind his back one minute, and getting brutally beat down the next.
                I think the beating was a little excessive, I do see him resisting so maybe it was justified...I don't know. I was not there so I can only comment on what was tapped. I do see an AP reporter roughed up for doing what the law says he can do. Our 1st amendment. He never resisted (from what I saw in the video) and I think the officer was out of line from what I saw in the video. I thought LEO's are sworn to enforce the law and uphold the constitution. If I am wrong please correct me. Thanks

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure a thread about an officer's suicide is the place to be discussing the beatings. If you wanted to discuss the video clip, it might have been less offensive to leave the suicide out of it.

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

The guy resisted. So force WAS necessary to affect the arrest. How much force is a subjective thing. I was not there so I don'tknow for sure. The film crew - yes, to some degree it IS a 1st Amendment issue. BUT, you get too close to me when I am placing hands on, don't be suprised if you get hands on as well. I don't care what kind of "credentials" you carry around your neck.
                    Space for rent .........

Comment

Originally posted by Entre Nous View Post
                      Yeah, I'm not sure a thread about an officer's suicide is the place to be discussing the beatings. If you wanted to discuss the video clip, it might have been less offensive to leave the suicide out of it.
                      I meant no offense. If I did offend ....I apologize. I have been flammed here for being too sensitive. I was trying to get perspectives as to why an officer might commit suicide for stuff like this. They arrest and charge people every day. That is their job. But when the situatin is reverse.....from a few stories I have read, then the officer can't take it.

I am not saying the officer's suicide was related to the case....but if it was....why can't he accept the same stuff a civilian goes through?

I know the suicide is tragic and I feel for him and is family. Suicide is NEVER worth it. My brother commited suicide, left me an only child and I wake up every day saying to myself.....why? We will never know.

Comment

Originally posted by scratched13 View Post
                        The guy resisted. So force WAS necessary to affect the arrest. How much force is a subjective thing. I was not there so I don'tknow for sure. The film crew - yes, to some degree it IS a 1st Amendment issue. BUT, you get too close to me when I am placing hands on, don't be suprised if you get hands on as well. I don't care what kind of "credentials" you carry around your neck.
                        I agree scratched.

From the video, and I say from the video, they were not close ( video crew). There was an officer on a horse blocking the camera man. He was at least 20 to 30 feet from the scene. I can tell, because of my experience, the tape was NOT edited and a complete roll. I never saw the camera man interfere, intrude or get in the the way of any of the officers.

Like I said, I SAW resistance from the perp in the video. Justified? Looks to me somewhat. I was not there. Only the officers know. The AP reporter? Never saw interference.... Justified....Maybe....but from the video I say NO.

Comment

My deepest condolences for their family. I lost my uncle to suicide. There is a lot of things you feel after that. Wondering if you could've talked them out of it somehow or maybe focused them on something else.

About the video though. I remember seeing this and not being surprised. Not because of the man's actions. From what was witnessed, the man did not really deserve the force that was applied to him. It seemed to me these officers were at their wits end dealing with drunks and murderers in a city that fell into absolute chaos. While I can sympathize, I cannot entirely justify what I saw and what I have heard and read about it. Even in chaos, ESPECIALLY in chaos, our civil rights must be secure. Same goes for the reporter.

This proves that the tragedy of Katrina extends well beyond the flooding and initial suffering. What a terrible terrible waste.
                          -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

I think the beating was a little excessive, I do see him resisting so maybe it was justified...I don't know. I was not there so I can only comment on what was tapped. I do see an AP reporter roughed up for doing what the law says he can do. Our 1st amendment. He never resisted (from what I saw in the video) and I think the officer was out of line from what I saw in the video. I thought LEO's are sworn to enforce the law and uphold the constitution. If I am wrong please correct me. Thanks
                            Resisting getting his head smashed in maybe. If I was standing with my arms behing my back complying with orders and then started getting viciously pummeled in the back of my head and choked from behind I might "resist" also. Its an involuntary reaction to protect yourself from injury.

A little excessive? Thats an understatement!

Comment

Originally posted by bigislander72 View Post
                              Resisting getting his head smashed in maybe. If I was standing with my arms behing my back complying with orders and then started getting viciously pummeled in the back of my head and choked from behind I might "resist" also. Its an involuntary reaction to protect yourself from injury.

A little excessive? Thats an understatement!
                              You are being very selective in what you see. The horse got in the way before there were any strikes so you have no idea what he did. Also, that reporter seemed to come up on the officer from behind. TOO close for me. I would have at least pushed him back. He was PRACTICALLY hugging him, and then he shoves his cards/creds right in the face of the officer as if that is his ticket to run up on him.
                              Space for rent .........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5804 users online. 315 members and 5489 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X