Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I make it for this PT in a month?

Alright so I am sure this question gets asked a lot and that at least one person will think "not again" but here it goes. I figure each case is a little different hence why I am posting this.

4 months ago I went for a PT for the city police. They gave me about a weeks notice so I didn't have a lot of time to train. It was an obstacle course consisting of balance beams, hurdles , push/pull, stairs, and a dummy drag (165lbs I think). Well I failed by 5 seconds but I continued to train as I was interested in State. Since then I have been jogging for 2 miles everyday as well as push ups and situps.I have lost 38 lbs and am down to 198 (im 6'4"). If I improve my 2 mile time ( i need to shave off about 2.5 minutes) will I make by July 14? I realize that physical fitness is very important in this job and if I do pass will continue my regimen (and probably will if I don't). Any advice?

Will I make it?

Originally posted by not a cop yet View Post
    Alright so I am sure this question gets asked a lot and that at least one person will think "not again" but here it goes. I figure each case is a little different hence why I am posting this.

4 months ago I went for a PT for the city police. They gave me about a weeks notice so I didn't have a lot of time to train. It was an obstacle course consisting of balance beams, hurdles , push/pull, stairs, and a dummy drag (165lbs I think). Well I failed by 5 seconds but I continued to train as I was interested in State. Since then I have been jogging for 2 miles everyday as well as push ups and situps.I have lost 38 lbs and am down to 198 (im 6'4"). If I improve my 2 mile time ( i need to shave off about 2.5 minutes) will I make by July 14? I realize that physical fitness is very important in this job and if I do pass will continue my regimen (and probably will if I don't). Any advice?
    Sounds like you're making some pretty substantial progress. I'm not a prophet,but with a month to go, yeah, you just could make it. Keep training. Keep working. Stay dedicated, stay focussed. Good luck!!

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes. I hope I pass!

Comment

Good Lord, you made me tired reading all that. You'll be fine...don't psych yourself out over it. Good luck.
        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

DO NOT OVERTRAIN!!!

You have a good bit of will power there man! Just don't get too excited and get yourself hurt before your test.

Comment

^ good advice, don't try to do too much.

Keep running...it seems like you need to speed your time up. Maybe you could mix in some intervals -- sprint, jog, sprint, jog... This should help amp up your cardio, and then you'll be able to push harder in the test...

A few years ago I participated in some competitions where we did police physical agility courses... The hardest part for me was always the dummy drag because it totally kills your legs. It's probably easier for guys (as I'm a 130 lb female), but I would try to strengthen your legs a little too -squats or lunges would probably help.

You've got just a month to train, but that's better than nothing! And, it sounds like you aren't starting from square one, so at least you've got that going for you!

Eat clean before the test, and don't kill yourself in the couple of days before it.

Comment

You're on the right track-

As stated above, interval training is your friend to drop your time quickly. For the dummy drag-

Use the ankles if they let you, it's easier to get hold of and keeps the spine in better alignment anyway. Otherwise, get hold of the shirt behind each shoulder, roll the cloth a little so you can get a better grip (grip training and wrist strength are crucial here- don't neglect them). If you can't get a good grip on the shirt, reach under the armpits, grab the same-side wrist, and hold it up against where the pectoral muscle would be on the dummy. This will keep the arms from flopping around and the dummy from sliding out of your grip. It also allows you some control of the c-spine. Whichever method you use, make sure you keep your back straight and lean back so you are working with your weight instead of against it. I'm 5'2", 127lbs with my gym shoes on. I have no trouble dragging Rescue Randy (180lbs) around. Using a blanket drag, I've moved a person in the 320lb range, so you'll get there. It's just a matter of proper body mechanics.

Don't forget ankle strength either, it will protect your knees and help with the stairs/balance beam and other stuff.

Here's another trick- Stop training three days before the test and switch to water. Your peak performance will be better if you're fully rested and hydrated.

Good luck!
              Last edited by malka881; 06-12-2007, 09:31 AM.
              They're called 'learning opportunities'.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll give the different stages of running a shot. Ironically I hurt my ankle yesterday and came back to see the post of "don't over do it" Well I did a mile today and hope I will back in business tomorrow. Thanks again

oh, and sorry about the length of my question as well as this reply.

Comment

4 months ago I went for a PT for the city police.

Well I failed by 5 seconds but I continued to train as I was interested in State.

Why are you wasting your time and the cities time if you want to work for the state?

Practice for the states test. Whatever you do don't tell the city that you're using them to get somewhere else. They might know it and they might be used to it, but they sure don't want to hear it.

Tell them you love it there and could never imagine going anywhere else.
                  "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5852 users online. 331 members and 5521 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X