Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the new Texas "Constitutional Carry" permitless carry law facilitate Texit?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a believer that an armed society is a civil society as a general rule but I have witnessed some exceptions. Like the two grown men- both respected fathers and community members- who got into an argument at a nearby car wash, pulled their guns and emptied their magazines into each other, both dead before they hit the asphalt, leaving their families in shock over some petty argument. And last year there was a tragic situation in the usually non-violent small town I live in: 55 year old man sitting in his truck at a stop light, not moving when it turns green. 30 year old man in car behind him walks up, taps on his window, and says, "Hey? WTF?!" 55 year old man rolls down window and shoots 30 year old in face at point blank while his family watches. Police arrive and 55 year old claims self-defense, which of course the jury doesn't buy and he gets 15 years in prison. Again, two good families are left in tatters when silly bullsheet renders bullets and blood.

All this talk of Texit could be a moot point soon, when joint Russia-China forces invade the United States, and no doubt the southern border would be a mass entrance point for foreign tanks and troops. Given 85% of the population will bend their knee in compliance, we will need every able-bodied Texan and their muskets, lest we cede this blessed nation to Vlad and Xi...
    The unprepared, the surprise is greater, as is the processing of denial, the fog of confusion and chaos. The prepared and practiced always act quicker.

-Massad Ayoob

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
      not.in.MY.town commented
      Editing a comment
      My brother lives in Pennsylvania. Last winter a man in one of the neighboring towns got into an argument with the couple next door. He was ****ed off because they shoveled "their snow" into his yard.

So he shot them both dead.. and when police arrived they found him dead in his house from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He probably had an epiphany that killing his neighbors over snow removal wouldn't qualify as self defense, and he didn't want to face the consequences of his actions.

Three people dead because of something so petty. Guns and poor impulse control are a BAD mix. By the time you realize your mistake it's already too late.

If east coast liberals display the level of hand-wringing angst we see in this thread over the very idea of more armed Texans...then we should definitely have more armed Texans...

Comment

I am right with anyone in condemning all non-justified shootings in this country. Non-justified shootings by aggravated robbers, a man committing suicide after having killed his whole family, a man killing his neighbors for snow trespass, etc, etc, etc are all horrific, but what is equally or even more horrific is a defenseless innocent. That goes for the Americans defending themselves, their family and their homeland from a tyrannical government as well as foreign invaders.

Tragedies are going to happen, just like this Miami shooting earlier this morning along with the sad ones where a child shoots himself and/or someone else. The horror stories go on, but at a free people, that is the continuing cost of that freedom.

I've posted before about being shot at and also having a pistol to my head by a ramped up cocaine-crazed idiot, but after each one of those incidents, I never thought about gun control, especially more gun control.

Again, I'm not against constitutional carry, but I was comfortable with what we already have here in Texas. I don't see a big difference from what we have now and going to constitutional carry. The only "more blood in the streets" will be from the ever-increasing rapid population growth here Texas allowing for more possibilities.

To recap what we have here already: We have open or concealed carry - your choice with a license to carry. Without a license to carry, you can still carry while traveling and simply carrying concealed in your vehicle or a vehicle under your control. For the small percentage, honorably retired peace officer carry like me.

Comment

The Miami shooting wasn’t innocent..it was just another example of...you know...The Topic That Must Not Be Spoken Of...

Comment

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          What about the one in New Jersey?

• not.in.MY.town
          not.in.MY.town commented
          Editing a comment
          Or the one in San Jose?

Meanwhile Illinois is about to ban person to person transfers and make the FOID cost more and last half as long.

However. As someone who has both sold and carried a gun for work, tons of people should not be allowed anywhere near a gun. There were some absolute winners who took our CCW class that had no business carrying a gun. On several occasions I would joke with the boss and say "we'll hear about that gun again" once the buyer signed his 4473 and left the store. Usually was a krink or a taurus.

There was some biker dude customer of ours, total knob, (probably a fireman or a jailer), who would carry a FN 57. Like, what kind of world does that dude live in that justifies that? Then I had some kid try to hustle me into trading his piece of **** eaa witness for a glock without running him by using his friends FOID (who a few weeks later found out who the ATF was and what they do).

MOST people can handle gun ownership without proper training. However it is WAY to easy to buy and carry a gun while having close to no idea how to shoulder that responsibility.

I am militantly pro gun and turned both my Chicago democrat parents into gun owners but there has got to be a more standardized approach to how we hand out carry permits and AR15s.

The days of pappy teaching you how to shoot with his lever action 30-30 are gone. If we want to live without the expiration of our most basic human rights in this country, all of us need to do better to teach the next generation about respect and firearm ownership.
        Last edited by Saluki89; 05-30-2021, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• Levithane
          Levithane commented
          Editing a comment
          I would never carry a 5.7. I like them for what they are, but I'd worry about that particular round going through a target and going god knows where. There's a reason its caliber is considered an armor piercing round.

Originally posted by Saluki89 View Post
        Meanwhile Illinois is about to ban person to person transfers and make the FOID cost more and last half as long.

However. As someone who has both sold and carried a gun for work, tons of people should not be allowed anywhere near a gun. There were some absolute winners who took our CCW class that had no business carrying a gun. On several occasions I would joke with the boss and say "we'll hear about that gun again" once the buyer signed his 4473 and left the store. Usually was a krink or a taurus.

There was some biker dude customer of ours, total knob, (probably a fireman or a jailer), who would carry a FN 57. Like, what kind of world does that dude live in that justifies that? Then I had some kid try to hustle me into trading his piece of **** eaa witness for a glock without running him by using his friends FOID (who a few weeks later found out who the ATF was and what they do).

MOST people can handle gun ownership without proper training. However it is WAY to easy to buy and carry a gun while having close to no idea how to shoulder that responsibility.

I am militantly pro gun and turned both my Chicago democrat parents into gun owners but there has got to be a more standardized approach to how we hand out carry permits and AR15s.

The days of pappy teaching you how to shoot with his lever action 30-30 are gone. If we want to live without the expiration of our most basic human rights in this country, all of us need to do better to teach the next generation about respect and firearm ownership.
        I totally understand. When my wife had to qualify at the range to apply for her license to carry, I went along to monitor the class. When the lone instructor learned that I was a retired police officer who had previously served as a Range Officer, I was pressed into service to assist him. The lack of muzzle discipline and general ignorance and incompetence relating to firearms displayed by some of those in attendance, was utterly appalling. It wasn't my class to kick people out of, but I would have instantly disarmed and removed about half of them from the class for safety violations. It was bad enough that I posted up behind one of the worst offenders, and repeatedly used my hand to block his muzzle as it swung to break the plane.

but this is not a safety issue- it is a Constitutional Rights issue. For example, many people utilize their First Amendment Right to Freedom of Speech with a degree of ignorance and incompetence far beyond what I witnessed in that class. But I still support their right to make utter fools of themselves, like when they attempt to fight racism by voting into the White House a 78 year old white male multimillionaire east coast elitist attorney career politician that belongs to the very same party that founded the KKK, and patronized minority American citizens with "Poor kids can be just as smart as white kids". This illustrates the difference between ignorance and stupidity- there are only a finite number of things that someone can be ignorant of, but stupidity is infinite...
        Last edited by Aidokea; 05-30-2021, 05:15 PM.

Comment

But back to Texit, I've only read a little about it, but what I've read makes it look like an impossible feat. Let's say it does happen, I'm wondering what the drama would be with the federal government giving up all of their land and improvements. Billions on top of billions have been spent so I don't now how they could just leave without extreme drama.

There is a military hospital being built out in El Paso which pops up in the news regularly since it is already up to 1.4 billion dollars - almost $660,000,000.00 over budget! I don't remember when they started building it, but it was supposed to have opened years ago, but as of last year, it was still not open for business. Also, we'd drive by there over the years going up to New Mexico, and in that hospital's area, they transformed scrub desert into a moderate sized city level of military training facilities and other infrastructures. Who knows how many billions that took, and not just that, the money to maintain and staff the tens of thousands of people - it is just mind blowing!

I live near a US Army Corps of Engineers reservoir, and, with my little mind, don't see how the new sovereign Texas government could continue to manage and maintain operations like this as well as the many others around the state, let alone building new one.

Another issue which comes to mind is that Texas is mostly privately owned. I can imagine if the process of transition was to actually occur, I can see some very wealthy people buying up as much land as they could, and when Texas became sovereign, there would be slim pickens. Anything left over would be CRAZY expensive. Because of this, I see Texas being like one of those more upscale smaller cities within or near a large metro area where there is a higher standard of living and where property taxes are sky high to pay for their higher standard of living. (I'm from Houston, and we have several of these types of cities within the city limits of Houston.) I don't see sovereign Texas becoming another Monte Carlo, but I do see it becoming a pay to play state if sovereignty ever becomes a reality...which it won't.

Comment

• Levithane
            Levithane commented
            Editing a comment
            Texas wouldn't be able to operate on its own. I don't know where a lot of the money gets spent, but I can tell you its not on services. Cost of living is going up, and that is because everyone is moving here, so real estate is at a premium.

Texas is the greatest country in the world.

Comment

I would imagine that any realistic version of a "Texit" would involve multiple other states looking to join what would likely become a Texas hegemony.

Comment

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, but which states? Or parts of states?

There is already talk of splitting off Oregon east of the Cascades, and making it part of Idaho, for example, and Idaho is probably compatible with Texas. The same may be true of eastern Washington.

I'm not sure if any part of Kalifornia or Nevada can be salvaged, just due to the totality of their toxicity.

I could see Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, and Kansas joining us. Oklahoma maybe.

Montana, Arizona, Alaska, and New Mexico would need to recriminalize marijuana to join us.

Maybe parts of Colorado could be salvaged. Maybe.

I don't know about Utah, North Dakota, or South Dakota.

I don't know that states like Misery, Loserana, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, North Carolina, or South Carolina bring much to the table, but I'm open to discussion.

There just isn't much east of the Mississippi that would be compatible with us, especially as you go further and further north.

And Florida would be a tough one...
              Last edited by Aidokea; 06-01-2021, 12:02 PM.

• merlin436
              merlin436 commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you could draw a line due north from San Antonio and that entire corridor to the Canadian border would be ripe for picking.

If we're talking of state changes, I imagine the north part of the Northeast would side with Texas over, say,
              NYC or Boston...with northern NY, VT, NH and ME looking
              for greater self-autonomy. California would split north/south too...with the north being more Texas-ish. I could see the UP of MI telling Detroit to stick it too.

Being purely speculative here...but much of the US outside the larger urban are more like Texas...at least the romanticized " Remember Goliad", cowboy, "It don't matter who's in Austin...Bob Wills is still the King" version of Texas that plays outside in the heartland and the countryside. A "Texit" means the radical fringe of the left and the Democrats win out. That pushes moderates and centrists to the only champion out there big enough to push back...and that's TX.

Is "know your backstop" still being taught in the academies?

If so, why is it still being taught when apparently it's not important enough for civilians to know (as evidenced by the Texas law)?
            This Space For Rent

Comment

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              What Texas law are you talking about?

• Levithane
              Levithane commented
              Editing a comment
              Its not stated verbatim, but at the LTC class if memory serves everyone is told you're responsible for the bullet when it leaves the barrel. IE you better have a backstop or something solid behind whatever you shoot.

• Pogue Mahone
              Pogue Mahone commented
              Editing a comment
              And that's what every firearm owner needs to hear. Everyone taking possession of a firearm, either through a sworn position or a civilian purchase, needs to have this drilled into their heads.

Y’all beat me to it. Texit won’t happen anytime in my lifetime. Even so, what I’d like to see more is the southern states breaking from the US again…but without the civil war part…unless the spilling of blood is the only way. I’m not thinking about history here, but the continuation of a Judeo/Christian/Western society being free from the death grip of DC.

About constitutional carry, again, you can already carry concealed in vehicles and while traveling here in Texas, so constitutional carry is not too much more than that that already. Also, you know what they say about ignorance of the law not being an excuse. Here in Texas, like I’m sure like in other states, has no justification for injury or death of a third party. You shoot at a bad guy and inadvertently injur or kill someone else, you are in deep poopsie woopsie. Most Texas already know this.

Comment

Hello All,

I am LEO and retired military. I have been a forum member for some time but refrain from posting, and mainly read to learn from everyone's opinions or discussions. However, I have seen many posts get heated and out of hand, and I have no interest on engaging on online arguments.

Hopefully this won't turn into a bashing contest.

1. OPINION: I believe this new law is an unnecessary political move. I also believe our gun laws are not strict enough.

2. QUESTION: I have heard many people refer to our constitutional rights as GOD given. Why is that? Am I missing something? I have never seen GOD's signature on the U.S. Constitution / Bill of Rights. I don't believe GOD woke up one day and said "You now have the right to own guns."

Input please.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post
                More armed Texans means even more accidental shootings, especially of children and by children, and even more gun-related domestic violence. Probably a lot more dead cops, too.
                Your disdain for the citizens exercising their rights is noted. It's CRIMINALS that do the things you are claiming NOT the law abiding. I've carried for over twenty years, been around cops, and never have I had the notion to kill one. Smh.

Comment

• Aidokea
                  Aidokea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He's been banned for saying stupid stuff, so I don't know if he will be getting back to you on that...
                  Last edited by Aidokea; 06-07-2021, 07:59 AM.

Originally posted by HRAPONTE View Post
                Hello All,

I am LEO and retired military. I have been a forum member for some time but refrain from posting, and mainly read to learn from everyone's opinions or discussions. However, I have seen many posts get heated and out of hand, and I have no interest on engaging on online arguments.

1. OPINION: I believe this new law is an unnecessary political move. I also believe our gun laws are not strict enough.

2. QUESTION: I have heard many people refer to our constitutional rights as GOD given. Why is that? Am I missing something? I have never seen GOD's signature on the U.S. Constitution / Bill of Rights. I don't believe GOD woke up one day and said "You now have the right to own guns."

Input please.

Thanks
                The U.S government was set up with the concept of checks and balances in mind when the documents were written. Historically prior to the founding of the United States, governing bodies had a nasty habit of oppressing and mistreating their citizens (absolute power corrupts). In short the 2nd amendment is a check and balance against a tyranny. Theres a few states that have Latin statements opposing tyranny as well.

Comment

Originally posted by HRAPONTE View Post
                  Hello All,

Input please.

Thanks
                  You're an officer hired for a community of 3,000 people in the Pacific Northwest. I suspect that you may lack perspective in the real world.

Comment

• HRAPONTE
                    HRAPONTE commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You are correct. I am also 50 years old with multiple combat deployments and although my city is only 3000, I also support the Valley region; over 150,000. I am not limited to my city due to additional skills. However, I will concede and say the PNW is very different. I am glad I am not in Seattle or Portland where LEO can't act.

Maybe you can answer this. Why do people say that owning a gun is a GOD given right?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2702 users online. 158 members and 2544 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X