Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the new Texas "Constitutional Carry" permitless carry law facilitate Texit?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the new Texas "Constitutional Carry" permitless carry law facilitate Texit?

Seems to me that more armed Texans is a good thing, especially if we are considering becoming our own nation (again).

And it always seemed silly to me anyway, the idea that people needed to qualify/submit/pay for a license/permit to exercise a Constitutional Right...

More armed Texans means even more accidental shootings, especially of children and by children, and even more gun-related domestic violence. Probably a lot more dead cops, too.

Comment

I'm a big 2A guy, but like all of our God-given rights, there are and should be limits. (Examples would be a waste of time here.) The wording of the 2nd Amendment stating what it states, is about impossible for a government to work with because of that one little itty bitty phrase - "shall not be infringed." That is about as black and white as can be, but again, no personal rights can be limitless since they would ultimately infringe on those of others.

The system we had going here in Texas was about as good as I could have imagined. We had concealed carry introduced finally, and that eventually turned into a license to carry, which included open carry. Also, with honorably retired peace officer carry,( which is how I carry) and with regular citizens being able to carry concealed without an LTC in a vehicle owned or under their control or while traveling, the 2nd amendment is alive and well.

Constitutional carry, I don't think will add too much since like I said above, you can already carry concealed without an LTC in a vehicle owned by you or under your control here in Texas. I haven't read the new law, but if they don't do away with the benefits of an LTC(for those who want to continue or go that way) - the most important being mandatory training, everything should be hunkydory.

I shouldn't have to remind anyone here that there are a tremendous amount of firearms being sold, and with the well over 300,000,000 people here in this country, the incidence of firearms accidents and shootings - both felonious and justified, aren't too crazy. The leftist media may make it look like that, but they ARE the leftist media...

Also, I'm a Houston-born-and-raised Texan, and I would have loved to have seen Texas become a sovereign nation in many years past, but is just an exercise for us patriotic Texans to fantasize about since it is above 99% impossible due to a full galaxy of stars having to align for it to occur.

Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible!

Comment

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment
        Texas is the best country in the world!

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post
      More armed Texans means even more accidental shootings, especially of children and by children, and even more gun-related domestic violence. Probably a lot more dead cops, too.

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
        not.in.MY.town commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I can't argue with THAT...

• westside popo
        westside popo commented
        Editing a comment

I've seen so many guns on people over here it's barely gets a second look or raises a red flag anymore.

Just the other day someone came up to the PD with a pistol box to make a complaint. Didn't think anything of it and asked her what kind of gun she had. She just pulls it, hands to me and tells about her complaint which involved the gun. I looked at it, asked her how she liked the reflex sight on it and gave it back to her.

Then it struck me how times have changed.
      Last edited by westside popo; 05-30-2021, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Just another day in Texas. I wonder how this would have ended if the woman had also been armed. Hmm...

https://www.kwtx.com/2021/05/28/off-...ns-surrenders/

May 28, 2021. COPPERAS COVE, Texas (KWTX) - An off-duty Copperas Cove police officer who fired eight shots at a woman Sunday afternoon, striking her repeatedly, as the result of an apparent road rage incident resigned after he was named in a felony warrant Thursday and then turned himself in to the Coryell County Sheriff’s Office.

Officer Eric Anthony Stoneburner, 45, is charged with aggravated assault/serious bodily injury/use of deadly weapon in the shooting Sunday that sent Lacresha Murray to Scott & White Medical Center in Temple with non-life-threatening injuries.

Comment

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          If "Lacresha" would have been armed, she'd be on her way back to prison for being a felon in possession of a firearm- she was sentenced to 25 years in prison for murder, for beating a 2 year old little girl to death many years ago.

And that's not her only arrest for a violent person crime.

Who knows what her intentions were in chasing down this off-duty officer and his 4 year old granddaughter...
          Last edited by Aidokea; 05-29-2021, 09:29 PM.

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          Because she was the one convicted.

BTW, the murdered child was found on "Shawntay's" bed.

• not.in.MY.town
          not.in.MY.town commented
          Editing a comment
          Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 07-01-2021, 09:05 PM.

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          Just another example of how you got yourself banned...

She was ELEVEN years old when she was WRONGFULLY convicted of murdering a child she was babysitting. She was sentenced to 25 years in prison, and retried, but medical expert's statements were retracted and new information came to light that the toddler had already suffered the injuries prior to being put in he care. Ultimately the charges were dismissed and she was exonerated.

This woman had her young life destroyed by a broken system. And as an apology she gets shot multiple times by a rogue off-duty cop who couldn't control his road rage.

Comment

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe you two astronauts should actually read up on the incident before making your knee-jerk reactions- sounds to me like she blocked the roadway with her truck sideways across it, and when the off-duty officer was able to drive around her, she chased him down, used her truck to block his path of escape, got out of her truck, and approached him to confront him with her "road rage".

And your cherry-picked story has nothing to do with Constitutional Carry anyway- he was carrying because he was a cop.

• not.in.MY.town
          not.in.MY.town commented
          Editing a comment
          Aidokea. I did read up on the incident (as much as is publicly available). Fact is that he resigned from his department, was arrested and has been charged with multiple felonies, and his department condemned his actions as unjustified based on (thus far unreleased) video of the incident. But somehow YOU are convinced he's the victim. Go figure.

• not.in.MY.town
          not.in.MY.town commented
          Editing a comment
          Police said they didn't condone Stoneburner's actions.

"As a department, we cannot support Mr. Stoneburner's decision to use deadly force in the moment and manner in which he did," the department said. "The law, and our Department policies, limit the use of deadly force to situations when an officer reasonably believes that he or a third person are in imminent and immediate danger of death or serious bodily injury. Because the facts we have, do not show that to be true, we agree with the decision made by the Department of Public Safety."

Thankfully the officer was a lousy shot...or he'd be facing murder charges. And his 4-year-old would have to watch daddy murder someone. Is that the great Texas parenting you always praise?

Comment

I live in the state and I'm not a huge fan of the idea, wasn't a fan of open carry being passed either. I'm licensed, and conceal carry regularly off work. I'm anticipating hearing about more cases of people going into bars while armed, drinking, and being negligent. At least with going through the LTC class you're explicitly told about places where you can and can't go with a fire arm unless you're a law enforcement officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Levithane View Post
            I live in the state and I'm not a huge fan of the idea, wasn't a fan of open carry being passed either. I'm licensed, and conceal carry regularly off work. I'm anticipating hearing about more cases of people going into bars while armed, drinking, and being negligent. At least with going through the LTC class you're explicitly told about places where you can and can't go with a fire arm unless you're a law enforcement officer.
            Yeah, but that was said everywhere else in the country that instituted Shall Issue licencing - #wildwest, #streetsrunningredwithblood, #moredeadcops, etc. And did any of that happen? No.

I'm in Ohio, and I hope they pass Constitutional Carry here. But, I doubt they will. Politicians and lawmakers that'll willingly give up power, and money from licencing fees are nigh impossible to find nowadays...

Comment

• Levithane
              Levithane commented
              Editing a comment
              I made my post strictly based on the premise I'm not fond of the idea of it. Now there isn't a educational portion on law required to be carrying a firearm. Granted the class is only a day, but it was explained to everyone the general does and don'ts of carrying a firearm. For example under current guidelines its prohibited to enter an establishment that does 50 to 65% of its revenue in lcohol sales (can't recall the exact percentage). Constitutional carry sounds great until you actually use the gun, have to go in front of a grand jury, and pay exorbent amounts of money to defend the actions you took.

• Pogue Mahone
              Pogue Mahone commented
              Editing a comment
              @Levithane;
              How are those establishments that make X% of their sales from alcohol identified? Denny's & Applebees are both food establishments that serve alcohol, but their approaches towards alcohol sales are complete different (Applebees does a lot of suggestive selling of alcohol). How would one know whether one or the other establishment might be off-limits for someone LTC?

• Levithane
              Levithane commented
              Editing a comment
              Pogue Mahone establishments have 30.07 or 30.06 signs prohibiting open carry, concealed carry, or both simultaneously. Then there are establishments that outright prohibit possession of a firearm period. Generally most restaurants allow licensed carry. The places that tend to be more of a bar atmosphere than food, are usually the spots that have alcohol sales hitting those percentages.

One of the caveats is that even of an establishment allows carry they can still ask you to leave if they so choose (ie you're drawing too much attention to yourself), as they have the right since they own the property. A lot of the restaurant chains you can carry with no issue. I havent run into any problems and I'm always carrying a full size when I do carry (p226 or p220).

Blood in the streets! Firefights over parking spaces!

It’s been wailed by gun grabbers every time citizens are actually allowed to exercise their rights... and it doesn’t happen, at least not more than it already did.

Criminals are carrying without permits already.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
              not.in.MY.town commented
              Editing a comment
              People shooting eachother in silly road rage incidents...as seen in the very recent example I posted above. Granted, the shooter was an off-duty cop so he's always been armed. But had the victim and perhaps some passengers or bystanders also been armed, the cop would probably be in the hospital/morgue right now and/or facing homicide charges. Luckily he only lost his career...and probably the right to carry as a felon. I guess things do work themselves out for the best...

I have to say though...that some of you have WAY too much faith in society. People in general are too dumb, too hot-headed and too impulsive to be walking around with guns. Silly disputes used to be settled by flipping someone the bird. Now the first instinct is to point your gun because it's just as readily available.

People want to enjoy their constitutional right to carry. But nobody wants to deal with the consequences of pulling the trigger.

When I lived/worked as a cop in Arizona, they passed constitutional carry, maybe about 7-8 years ago now. No significant increase in gun deaths, as most of the people who bothered to get a permit to carry before were law abiding people, and the people who carried without a permit generally didn't care that they were breaking the law. That's pretty much how I see it going in Texas, more law abiding people will probably carry without a permit and the same people who always carried illegally will still do it.
            1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

Iowa passed Constitutional Carry this year and it will take effect 7/1/21

However people keep coming into the office to renew their permits. Police administrators are wringing their hands.

Line officers are more like ...............So what
              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                We are probably going to get my wife her LTC even after Constitutional Carry becomes law, so that she can carry in other states that honor Texas LTCs.

Originally posted by thirdgod View Post
              When I lived/worked as a cop in Arizona, they passed constitutional carry, maybe about 7-8 years ago now. No significant increase in gun deaths, as most of the people who bothered to get a permit to carry before were law abiding people, and the people who carried without a permit generally didn't care that they were breaking the law. That's pretty much how I see it going in Texas, more law abiding people will probably carry without a permit and the same people who always carried illegally will still do it.
              The premise of the original post was that "more armed Texans is a good thing". I disagree. On principle, I'm all for respecting people's Constitutional rights. But in actuality, I just can't see more armed citizens as a positive thing. Is the law constitutionally sound? Yes. Is it going to improve society or the safety of citizens? No.

Personally, I'm not concerned about the people who have always carried illegally (no laws are ever going to fix that problem). But my worry is that a lot more law-abiding citizens are going to become law-breaking citizens because of poor judgment. Carrying a gun is easy. Knowing when to use (or NOT) use it is much harder. Taking away even the most basic education is going to make things even worse. Like I said, I have little trust or faith in the general populous. People today generally seem to have less common sense and poorer conflict-resolution skills than prior generations. Unless there's a "should I shoot this person?" app, they can't figure things out on their own. We all know that when guns are involved, things can go south very quickly. In a split second, multiple people can lose their lives, their livelihoods or their freedom. Just one impulsive act can turn a "law abiding citizen" into a felon.

As I said before, everyone loves their rights. But nobody wants to accept the consequences of exercising them.

Comment

But my worry is that a lot more law-abiding citizens are going to become law-breaking citizens because of poor judgment. Carrying a gun is easy. Knowing when to use (or NOT) use it is much harder.

As I said before, everyone loves their rights. But nobody wants to accept the consequences of exercising them.
                Yup all of this. In Texas every shooting goes in front of a grand jury (justified self defense or not). All you need is some clown shoes attorney make up a crap story that manages to stick, and you find yourself in a 8x9 cell. Texas is pro gun, until you actually have to lawfully use the thing.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2681 users online. 146 members and 2535 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X