300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do officers have their own equipment?

Since now I have decided that I am going for BPD, I was wondering if I should buy my own gear, such as radio, firearm, body armor? Or should I just get what the city gives me? What do you do?

At end of each shift, will I be returning the gear or is it take home thing?

Originally posted by Corporate View Post
    Since now I have decided that I am going for BPD, I was wondering if I should buy my own gear, such as radio, firearm, body armor? Or should I just get what the city gives me? What do you do?

I would recommend not buying anything for a job that you do not even have.

IF you do get hired, I would recommend not spending a lot of money as a probationary ("at will") employee on a new job.

Even IF you get hired and make it all the way to being a tenured officer with full union protections. I would not recommend buying anything that is not EXPLICITLY approved by your department.

Beyond that, every agency is different. When I started in 1991, my agency didn't allow patrol officers to carry AR-15s at all. At the agency I recently retired from, patrol officers were allowed to carry either departmental AR-15s, or our own, and we were allowed to carry any AR-based weapon capable of chambering department-issued .223 ammunition, as long as it did not require a tax stamp.

I'll admit that I did not relish the possibility of my personally-owned department-authorized fully pimped $3,500 M4 carbine ending up in some evidence locker forever if I had to use it to reduce some $#!+bird's rate of recidivism to zero.

Comment

• Krinkiboi2020
      Krinkiboi2020 commented
      Editing a comment
      When I was in the Army, I bought my own plate carrier and load bearing gear, packs, even personal first aid gear because USGI is trash.

Hell, I wish I could've used one of my personal ARs at the time, because as I said above, USGI is trash.

I can't speak specifically to BPD (Baltimore? Boise? Boston?) but any any department in my area that hires you as a full-time police officer will include all the basic gear you need to do your job. This typically includes radio, duty gear, vest, etc. My own department provides me a uniform budget every year out of which I can order shirts, pants, footwear, coats, hats, and so on. Firearms are a mix -- my department issues mine (handgun & rifle). Other departments allow the officer to purchase their own, and then they can keep them if they leave the department.

When I started in the business, I put myself through an academy (which provided all my gear). I started as a non-full-time officer. My first department provided me with a uniform and a vest. I bought all my own gear, including firearms.

You'll probably get your best answer from the department itself.

Comment

It all depends on the department. Some allow you to buy your own gear for duty use, some do not. If you are assigned gear and firearms, they are part of your inventory, you keep them until you leave the department, or until replacement is needed.

Comment

Warning: 35+ years of service and now 10+ years retired Royal Canadian Mounted Police (thank you for the applause, it certainly is expected) Regular Member (Police Officer) chiming in.
        Our RM get the MAJORITY of our kit and clothing issued gratis (Service Order #1 (usual duty uniform: blueish grey shirts, dark blue pants, a variety of black footwear plus headcover plus outerwear plus gloves, black basketweave duty belt, soft body armour with MOLLE external carrier, 9 mm pistol with 3 mags, OCS, cuffs,collapsible baton, cut-), Review Order (scarlet tunic, brown "stetson" / "campaign" hat, brown full Sam Browne, dark blue riding breeches, brown riding boots, spurs), and Walking Out Order (see RO, but straight dress overalls, fancy dress belt, black dress boots and spurs))
        Conducted energy weapons, carbines, portable radios, and patrol vehicles, are Unit issue and shared-use.
        Our Academy grads either buy for themselves, or family buy for them, things like folding single knives, multi-tools, extra cuffs, flashlight, cut-proof gloves, clipboards, patrol cases, plus fancy carrying cases for the RO / WOO fancy-schmancy kit.
        If the Agency you are wanting to join MAKES YOU buy a sidearm, portable radio, and SBA, you should run like H e l l to some modern Agency or simply get a real job.
        Look CAREFULLY at the Agency's other perquistes, such as Union affiliation and required dues, physical / mental / dental / life insurance plans, retirement benefits, pay, annual and other (mat / pat etc) leave, and rate of turn-over.
        Consider extra / non-Agency whole life insurance and retirement savings plans.
        If you have a significant other, blood family, and other friends, make sure that they are on-board with you getting into this lifestyle, or if they are going to have a problem with you doing so, ESPECIALLY if they tend to be "clients" of ANY Agency.
        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
        "Smile" - no!

Comment

Yes. You should. Buy the top of the line gear as soon as you get hired. They will issue garbage.

It’s worth your life to incur a bit of credit debt.

Comment

Don't buy anything until you get hired and find out what their privately purchased gear policy is.

Comment

One other concern is insurance coverage........be absolutely positive that if injured LOD while wearing or using equipment personally obtained you will be covered by your job.

Comment

You should also buy your own patrol car. Lease it back to the city for $1 a year. That way, you will be assured it’s always ready and clean.

Comment

• Aidokea
                  Aidokea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ...and has round wheels...and no spit bottles rolling around on the floor...and no cockroach farm under the seats...and a spare tire...and an exhaust system that isn't bent...and plastic bumper covers that aren't half torn off...and...and...and...

Get hired first,.......

Comment

Each department is different.

Mine issues uniforms, vest, taser, long guns and radio.

Everything else: leather gear, sidearm, boots, Asp, cuffs, rifle plates, etc is mine.

I also use my own rifle.

I'll admit that I did not relish the possibility of my personally-owned department-authorized fully pimped $3,500 M4 carbine ending up in some evidence locker forever if I had to use it to reduce some $#!+bird's rate of recidivism to zero.
                  If I survive the incident, I’ll happily buy another.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    You should also buy your own patrol car. Lease it back to the city for $1 a year. That way, you will be assured it’s always ready and clean.
                    May be I should go back to corporate - what I was doing before

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                      Each department is different.

Mine issues uniforms, vest, taser, long guns and radio.

Everything else: leather gear, sidearm, boots, Asp, cuffs, rifle plates, etc is mine.

I also use my own rifle.

I thought I was not going to get a baton. I am 2nd degree black belt in Taekwondo.
                      Is baton used at all in LOD?

Comment

I thought I was not going to get a baton. I am 2nd degree black belt in Taekwondo.
                        Is baton used at all in LOD?
                        They will allow you to use your Taekwondo and carry a Tonfa.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                          That was my line of thinking...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2480 users online. 122 members and 2358 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X