300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patriotism in Law Enforement

I have been reading a few recent posts and honestly, call me ignorant, but I am amazed at how much less patriotism means to some police officers, than it does to others. Police officers of all people. Or, civilians, who claim (in belonging here) to support the ideals of law enforcement.

I am only 51 - the tail end of the baby-boomer generation. Even growing up on the "Left Coast" in Los Angeles during the 60's / 70's, when it was popular to hate our country, the police, the military and virtually anyone else in a position of authority, I held a deep and sincere patriotic loyalty and was never too shy to say so, even when Jimmy Carter was telling me to learn to accept that second best, weakness and a lower sight picture was the future in America. Along with 21% inflation, 10% unemployment, a weak military and annually rising taxes. Loving your country was considered poor fashion and almost embarrassing to some. Well, it wasn't to me. Nor, Ronald Reagan, thank God. But that's a different thread...

At ball games, parades, public events and other large public gatherings where there was a police presence, I always counted on the police to salute the flag and the national anthem and, to represent all that was good in our nation. This was one of the reasons I became one.

Until recently, I thought all cops felt this way to some extent. I mean, how could you do this job and not embrace, to some degree, the traditional values of right and wrong; those things inherently patriotic - about America.

As I said, recent readings here and in other venues, tell me there are cops among the brotherhood, to which no loyalty; no ingrained sense of God and Country exists. Was I blind or have things changed....?
    Yes - with pride in my heart and a smile on my face
    86.67%
    Reluctantly and only because I was forced to serve
    5.33%
    No - although that doesn't mean I'm not patriotic
    5.33%
    No way - let some other poor slob die for this lousy country.
    2.67%
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Patriotism in Law Enforcement

Yeah, Troop, I've always felt that the two go hand in hand. Don't even get me started on that Champion of all appeasers, Jimmy Carter. He's still out stumping and trying to sell that "2nd best &&^%. Great post, great thoughts as always.

Comment

1042 Trooper, I am a young guy in the hiring process with a police department right now and should be getting the final offer within a couple of weeks. I can't speak for anyone else but I personally consider myself to be very patriotic. I respect the flag, the national anthem, and our military. God and country are very important to me!

I too am coming into this job because of a sense of patriotism. I would expect the same of any other officer as well.
      "Screw that. We can make bullets faster than they can make terrorists. Kill them all. Every last one." -Interceptor

Comment

The two go hand in hand. I don't see how anyone who serves can not be a patroit. I was a patroit before I ever went in the army, and continued to be through the Clinton years, and will be if there is God forbid another dose of "Clinton years."

But some are not. Some see LE as only a job. Law Enforcement is one of the few civilian jobs where you have to swear an oath to uphold the Constitution.

I may not agree with everything that goes on in Washington, and I may not love my Congress, may not love my President, but I wouldn't stand by and let anyone try to destroy either.

Uh...I don't know about "with a smile on my lips." Just to be truthful. It might hurt.
        Last edited by Gene L; 06-11-2007, 11:21 AM.
        "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

I'm happy living in the USA. I would be happy living in plenty of other countries, too.

Then again, there are also countries I would rather die than live in.

I think we have a lot of good things going for us, but so did Babylon, and so did Rome, and so did Egypt, and so did Greece. So do Italy, Germany, France, the UK, Spain, China, Japan, and India. We are just societies, we will collapse eventually.

I'm happy enough for now.

Comment

i declined to answer the poll. none of the answers fit me. i love my country but i think the state of our government is laughable. there hasn't been a leader in my lifetime that i would unquestioningly follow into the unknown. i love this country, i'm just not a fan of those in charge of it's daily affairs.
            -Sean

Comment

I hate to sound arrogant, but take a step back and look at our country, and you'll see how many people end a worthless life when they die. No contributions to society, no sacrifice.

If I get hit by a car and am killed while on traffic control, I'm not sure if most of you would consider it "dying for my country." Truth is, being only 23 years of age, I have decided to embrace the traditional values that 42Trooper spoke about. Partly because of my upbringing, partly because of my religion, and partly because of personal choice.

I'm one of the least political people you could find. I do disagree with some of the current...I guess "political stances" or the state of our government. I have, however, accepted this job of law enforcement to serve the people. When I did so, I accepted the possibility of death or serious injury. If death were to become a result of the job, then I'd be proud that it came at a sacrifice, and was not in vain.
              "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

Nice Troop.

I got 5 extra bucks towards a one way ticket out bound if anyone is interested.

you can dislike the state of our current administration and still be a patriot and willing to fight and die for fellow soldiers and cops for that matter.

Not exactly how one would want to go out, but the willingness is what counts.
                It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

I would die for my fellow American. I am a sheepdog, if I die fighting a wolf to protect the sheep, so be it...

But I wont go overseas for the current war and fight for that agenda... no thank you...

I love my country... of course, and if we were being invaded, give me my guns and lets go to war... but... dont get me involved in the current mess thats been created overseas due to poor leadership...
                  Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Do I want to die for my country? No... but if I am ever called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice, then thats the course god has set for me, and I would have it no different.

Comment

I think some people see a lack of patriotism because they are the people defining patriotism. If patriotism means being in lock step with GW's policies then I wouldn't be defined as a patriot. But if respectful dissent is included in patriotism then I am a patriot.

It's funny but when you watch FOX News and allow yourself to be brainwashed you tend to buy into the crap that they're spewing on daily basis. They label those who speak out the " hate America first" crowd when they are questioning authority and policy, something that has made America the great country as it is. Michael Moore ( I'm not his biggest fan but admire his passion) is lumped into that crowd when he speaks about about gun violence, The Patriot Act and the lack of health care in America. But George Bush and Dick Cheney, who have screwed this country up for decades to come and never served their country, are labeled patriots.

Do you consider MLK to be a patriot? He was of course one of those "wackos" in the 60's who did the unthinkable and the most unpatriotic thing one could do: The engaged in civil disobedience to bring about racial equality. The nerve of that guy. He really should have been in Vietnam killing people who never did anything to him. Then he would have been a real patriot.

As for would I personally die to protect Americans, although no longer in the military and not an LEO, I most certainly would. Despite the fact the the kids I'd be protecting would ultimately grow up to be fat, disrespectful, McDonald's eating, illiterate turds, I'd still protect them.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Where I sit at work in my office, I can see 3 US flags. I can see a pin-up of one of those "priceless" comics where the burner of a flag used too much gas and set himself on fire. My office mates are former Marines, a former Navy seaman, and myself, former Army. The "job" is just a job, but patriotism is different. I don't do this job because of it. I take pride in my work, and work ethic. I take pride in my job. There is a photo of John Wayne AND Ronald Reagan on my wall. I can't control myself when I hear the National Anthem, or Taps, or when I see flag draped coffins returning from the defense of freedom. I see many of our new recruits and they see me. I am referred to as "Old School", and am proud to have lived long enough to have graduated from same school. I am the best example of what a law enforcement officer should be, as I can be, for the new recruits. Pride in one's Nation can be displayed in many ways, from a crisp uniform appearance, to saluting (properly) the Flag, officers, and veterans. It can also be displayed at sporting events by slapping the hats off disrespectful children (or adults), and "leading by example". Patritosim still exists, even though there are a few misguided souls. Lead by example, and keep up the fire. Settle for nothing less! God Bless America.
                        As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Originally posted by SMPPD87 View Post
                          i declined to answer the poll. none of the answers fit me. i love my country but i think the state of our government is laughable. there hasn't been a leader in my lifetime that i would unquestioningly follow into the unknown. i love this country, i'm just not a fan of those in charge of it's daily affairs.
                          So...you love the milk and honey, but wouldn't fight to protect because yu don't like the leadership? What about the 99% of us who aren't in politcal leadership? Would you fight and die for us?
                          The All New
                          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Bigcop, if you even go overseas, you will be fighting for your fellow Americans who stand beside you. Not for policy.

I don't agree with a lot of what's going on, or more specifically HOW it's going on, but I wish I was young enough to go over. I'm not politically aware enough to know if it's right or wrong, I only know it was mandated by Congress. And a soldier's place is to be where the fighting is. And I'm a soldier.

The rest of the stuff can be figured out by philosophers.
                            "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Originally posted by bigcop97 View Post
                              I would die for my fellow American. I am a sheepdog, if I die fighting a wolf to protect the sheep, so be it...

But I wont go overseas for the current war and fight for that agenda... no thank you...

I love my country... of course, and if we were being invaded, give me my guns and lets go to war... but... dont get me involved in the current mess thats been created overseas due to poor leadership...
                              So we understand, your thinking is, wait until another attack on our soil. Let the enemy kill a few thousand more American's here at home first, THEN you would fight?

Why not fight the enemy somewhere else? Why let them kill my friends and neighbors before you sign up? I don't get it.
                              The All New
                              - M1Garand

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3075 users online. 180 members and 2895 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X