Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW is right. A few years back, when I was applying to be an Officer...a few of the applications I filled out gave you extra 'points', if you had been in the army.

Since there are more men than women in the army....this is just one example of why women feel at a disadvantage in the hiring process.

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: blondie72 ]
    [email protected] "Where there is love, there is no imposition"- Albert Einstien.

Comment

You gotta be $hitting me. You're telling me that women feel disadvantaged because they weren't in the military? Whose fault is that? If you don't like it get off you *** and go enlist like the rest of us. Don't b#tch because you don't get something when that something is a factor that you can control. That just ****es me off to no end. Veterans preference is in place in most states for government jobs. If a woman want's to be able to clam it all she has to do is go enlist and spend 4 years on active duty like me. Or she doesn't even have to do that. She can be a reservist and spend 6 years drilling one weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer. We don't have compulsory service requirements for men, so not every man will get veterans preference. Those are open points for anyone who serves in the armed forces.
      On the wings of a dove
      Let's roll for justice
      Let's roll for truth
      Let's not let our children grow up
      Fearful in their youth -- Neil Young

Comment

Jarhead: We're not going to get through to each other...we're only going to get further up each others arse.

For a start, I'm not bitchin'...I'm stating my opinion.

Secondly, I didn't want to be in the army...I wanted to be a cop.

Thirdly, this is exactly the sort of annoying exchange I gave up on when I decided not to take the internet seriously anymore.

'night now! Don't let them bed bugs bite!
        [email protected] "Where there is love, there is no imposition"- Albert Einstien.

Comment

jarhead,

Watch yourself here, you are running VERY close to the wire. You can express yourself without resorting to low life crap. PARTICULARLY WHEN YOU ARE TALKING TO A MODERATOR and a long time member.

Knowing Blonde like we all do, I doubt that she was really offended by your post, but I sure as hell was!

Take this as a warning bub, because that is EXACTLY what it is. You are a valued member of this forum as well, so please take this in the spirit it is meant.

By the way, this does NOT mean that I do not see where you are coming from here.

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: Don ]
          6P1 (retired)

Comment

I'm not trying to call anyone names or anything such as that. And I'm not saying that Blondie in particular is bitching. I'm just saying that women rate those points the same as any man. And that saying that veterans preference points are a way to discrimintate or put women at a disadvntage is bull. That's all.
            On the wings of a dove
            Let's roll for justice
            Let's roll for truth

Comment

Jarhead, the military really isn't everybody's cup of tea, no matter what the branch, and like blondie, other people have other priorities that do not include military service. Because someone did not serve in the military does not necessarialy mean they were lazy, nor had no good reason to serve.

Kind of like me telling you this: Using the handle "Jarhead", I take it you served in the Marine Corps. And if that is the case, I'm sure you are quite proud of the fact that you served, and for the branch you chose. And no one, including myself, can blame you.

I served in the Army for 4 years, and in the Army National Guard for a total of 4 more. I have 3 Honorable discharges and a handfull of medals under my belt. I never served in combat, but was assigned to an overseas unit where we had to always be in a high state of readiness.

But in my quest for a LE job, I get the impression,"Oh, you were in the Army? Big whoo!" But for someone who was in the Marine Corps; "Oh? Marines?! Brass bands, wave the flag, play the Marine's Hymn, and raise the hand of the All American boy!!!"

Sounds absurd, right? But I think you may see my point, also. I chose not to go into the Marines, because I felt I wasn't the type to manage the well known Boot Camp, among other things. But I wanted to serve my country, and I felt the Army was my better choice.

Besides, didn't we serve the same country, and protect the same citizens, to give them the right to make their own choices? That's what living in a free country such as our's is all about.

I, too have been a victim of reverse discrimination. I think Civil Service in this particular city I live in is nothing but a bunch of horse hockey, with their double standards, and favoritisim in hiring practices. Quickest way to get hired on the force in this city is to be a minority, minority female, or the son of a career police officer!
              Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

psshhh.... Im so moving..... I WISH they did that around here... Im a lady and Mexican.....
                Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by blondie72:
                  [QB]Jarhead: We're not going to get through to each other...we're only going to get further up each others arse.[QB]
                  Blondie, I'm getting homesick, I've just started to learn to spell *** and you throw in the correct spelling. How are things back home?
                  "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm" - George Orwell

Comment

Man! I so have to respond to this thread again. I sorta skimmed over the last part. Had I read it I would have relized what was going on. I guess I should add this to the thread.

I live in Minnesota, and it is particularly competative to get hired here. I hate getting a rejection merely from the application scoring. I cant tell you how many times I have applied to departments that give me no credit for the experience I have nor for the minority + female status. I ONLY WISH. I won't bash any departments here but Shakopee was one department in particular that I couldn't even get past the application. In their job announcement it says, "do not apply if you have been rejected by Shakopee within the past year".

I have good qualifications, but this whole "veteran's preferance" really screws me over too. Being a woman gets me no extra points, EVEN when the job post says woman and minorities are encouraged to apply. Ahhh WTF? Like we cant get a job without being either? OH OH... and then..... some departments hire within, yanno.. their CSO's. The department I work for DOES NOT... which really bugs me. Can you sense my frustration? I've established my dedication to Law Enforcement, but some kid with a military exp gets more points than me because???? why??????

I have the dedication, commitment, responsibility, common sense, physical agility, knowledge and desire it takes to do this job, better than some punk who only wants to carry a gun around because its "cool". I have life experience in things that a 22 YO hasn't. I've established my family and now ready for a career that I will love..... and excel in, if given the chance to actually show some agency exactly what an asset I can be for them.

BLAH @ whoever thinks its hard on the average white man. It's hard on me. I am POST eligible, I've been through Skills and other lil wannabe's with Joe cool figures in their head get a better status because....?????

I have so much to say on this subject, but its just going to be a rant and bound to **** someone off. Think about it though. you have a couple different types of agencies. old timers/old school and the new COP/PC. I have just begun to figure out I need to Butch up. No room for Feminine in any part of this process. I am completely aware of the facade of the interview game, only wish I figured it out sooner!
                    Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

I think its a shame about the hiring practices now. But i also think it has alot to do with the unfairness for years regarding female and minority applicants. I know that when i go to work at the police station most of the veteran cops are middle aged WHITE men. I rarely see the African American, Asian, or Female officer amongst the older generation. I can sure bet the white man wasn't crying back in the day when they were getting all the great jobs and the others were scrounging for crap jobs. There is nothing that will be done about it because what gos around comes around and unfortunatly the whte man has to pay the price now for what happened in the past. Its just the way it is. I've seen many a family member of mine lose his 30 year job due to downsizing and having the most difficult time finding another job worthy of pay and benifits. It just sucks! But equality rules! I personnaly have no problem taking care of my man and being the provider of the family. But it has to be rough for someone who has worked his whole life and being raised to be a man who is taught what it means to be a man in providing for his family. I feel bad for the new age white man who can't catch a break but you have to put yourself in our mothers shoes. It had to be just as rough for them too.
                      "To each his own"

Comment

This is more like a whining thread.

If someone served in the military and at that time he was activated for war he or she deserves veteran preferences. In Mass you get 2 points extra for that. Is it different State wide, does someone get points just for serving? I dont know, but I wouldn't whine about if they did, they served our Country they deserve it. Jarhead I agree with you completely, and people should stop bitchin about it. BTW, I didn't serve and therfore I don't get the two points.

Lastly, there is disrimination, and unfortunaely, especially lately, poor whitey has been discrimated against. Lets not take the best scores anymore, lets fill a quota. Even if that means we have to go to the bottom of the barrell.
                        "are you going to bark all day little doggie or are you going to bite"

Comment

I never said that anyone was lazy for not serving. I'm just saying that the veterans points are available for men and women. Sor for a woman to say that it favors men, when it takes the same thing for either to get the points, is bs. Believe me, I know that the military isn't for everyone. And I whole heartedly believe that not everyone should serve. Especially if it's not your "thing". So be it. I really don't care. I'm not going to comment on wether or not it's fair veterans to get extra points or not. All I'm saying is that it's bs to say that it favors men.
                          On the wings of a dove
                          Let's roll for justice
                          Let's roll for truth

Comment

Hey, Don, and thx for the reply.

I'm not going to get further into this discussion; because I have neither the time nor the inclination to get into acrimonious exchanges online anymore.

Suffice it to say that I think it's interesting that the womens point of view differs somewhat from the males.

If you don't agree with my opinion...that's fine. But don't tell me I'm bitchin' or whinin', when I'm clearly only stating an opinion. How come nobody accuses Jarhead of "bitchin' or whinin'" when he goes on about not being able to get into LE? Eh?

Being a minority woman; in favour of affirmative action...I realize that is enough to get me burnt at the stake on this thread, BY SOME. But I don't care! If yer don't like it...you can sling it!

Said with all the greatest of respect, of course.

Posted by SWAT1: "Blondie, I'm getting homesick, I've just started to learn to spell *** and you throw in the correct spelling. How are things back home?"

Thngs are lovely, here, SWAT. I didn't realize how much I had missed it, until I had been here a few weeks.

Crime rate NOT good... but weather sunnier than usual. Can't go to Hyde Park without tripping over sunseekers, and being run over by rollerbladers. Boats on the Serpentine are lovely...followed by live j*** at 'Pizza on the Park' in Knightsbridge. London is congested; but weekend drives to sussex with the top down, are a little slice of heaven.

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: blondie72 ]

Comment

Originally posted by blondie72:
                              but weather sunnier than usual.
                              OH, this must mean that the sun DOES shine for fifteen minutes or so, right around noon, HUH???
                              weekend drives to sussex with the top down, are a little slice of heaven.
                              Oh my goodness, I WANT A PIX of this!!!!!
                              6P1 (retired)

Comment

Originally posted by blondie72:
                                How come nobody accuses Jarhead of "bitchin' or whinin'" when he goes on about not being able to get into LE? Eh?

Um, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it's because I've never "bitched" or "whined" about not being able to get into LE. I would ask you to find one post where I did any such thing. I'm currently in school to get a degree so that I can START applying. Then get rejected. Or not because of the huge advantage that I have because I'm a veteran. You don't agree with me or my politics but at least keep your facts straight if you are going to attack me. Thank you.
                                On the wings of a dove
                                Let's roll for justice
                                Let's roll for truth

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4431 users online. 252 members and 4179 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X