300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse discrimination in hiring

I am starting to get fed up with all the reverse discrimination that I see in law enforcement hiring practices. Every time I apply for a full time position, a female applicant gets the job. In fact every time there has been a female applicant, she has gotten the job. What does a white male have to do to find full time employment
    Now, don't get me wrong, I am in no way against female officers. I believe they are just as vital to a department as male officers, but when a department has a female applicant, they are afraid that if they don't hire them, then they may be subject to a lawsuit. There is something wrong with this picture.

Okay, I just needed to vent. What are your thoughts on this?
    _ _ _________________ _ _

"All men are created equal, and then a few become Police Officers."

I am not sure what agencies you have applied to or what their hiring practices are...maybe they get extra points for being female or something like that. I am not sure if agencies do that. If that is the case, I can understand your frustration.

There is also the possibility they are just more qualified than you. Maybe they have more education, or did better in the interview or whatever. It is tough to accept sometimes.

But I think if you keep trying, and you want it bad enough..you'll get the job eventually.

Hang in and Good Luck to you!

Comment

Damn, what am I doing wrong?

That female thing didn't work for me

All kidding aside, I am sorry you haven't had any luck with your quest, but PERHAPS as Nittany Lion stated, they are more qualified than you.

I don't know about you but when I was going through the process I didn't know the qualifications or the backgrounds of the folks that I was in competition with so who knows............

Good Luck to you in future endeavors and don't get so "hung-up" on the Female thang! (I know, easier said than done!) This will only distract you from the mission at hand. You have enough to worry about going through this process without adding this into the mix.

If you are truly qualified than I believe you will get the job.

JMHO

Grace

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: GRACE ]
      "Life breaks us all and afterwards some are strong at the broken places."
      --Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

Comment

It's not only in LEO circles. It's in almost every facet of 'public service'. BTDT

I 'lost' a job(it would have meant a $22K increase in salary) simply because(as I was told by the Superintendent(he actually came looking for me and recommended me)) 'the board members didn't 'think' a 'white' guy could handle 'black' kids.'

Never mind that this 'white guy' had been head of his county's alternative school program for 6 years and had assisted in the local National Guard Explorer Post, where the local juvie judge liked to 'sentence' kids...or that this 'white guy' had worked in a PRISON teaching GED classes to MURDERERS and RAPISTS of ALL colors...and had LEO experience. THAT didn't matter.

Sorry for the rant. I hadn't thought about 'that' in a while....
        "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
        -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

A Dept. in my county (which I applied for) has hired 17 officers in the last 2 years. Of them 3 have been white males, 1 hispanic male, the other 14 have ALL been female and white. I was ****ed about losing out on it, although by all rights I shouldn't have made it as far as I did due to my lack of experience, lack of much education, etc. But, I KNOW there were qualified males who didn't even make it as far as I did.
          Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

This is certainly nothing new. I ran into this when I switched over from reserve to full time. I was flatly told that to "meet minimum requirements" my department had to hire X number of minorities and X number of females before ANY white males could be considered.

It really hurt me (financially I mean) at the time, but as time passed I realized that they had done me one hell of a big favor!
            6P1 (retired)

Comment

I see that I am not the only one who gets frustrated by this. I have 2 part time jobs, but I can't seem to find full time employment. I guess there is not much else I can do, except keep trying.
              _ _ _________________ _ _

"All men are created equal, and then a few become Police Officers."

Comment

This issue just came up in your state.

The MI courts ruled that the U of MI law school could select students by race to ensure "diversity".

Comment

Gee, could it be that women weren't hired for many previous years because of the same discrimination and now the system is accepting women?

Comment

Rumor has that my dept is finally hiring 3 officers. I guess after a few years and three job re-postings they've found some diversified applicants.

I don't know, to me it's a system that is being abused in many ways.

Safety is another concern. The University was looking to hire an electrician and the affirmitive action person was insisting that they hire someone (who knew "0" about electrical work) and let that person learn "on the job". That was until it was pointed out that there are voltages so high in places on campus that you don't have to touch it to be electrocuted, it will draw you to it!
                    " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

There is no such thing as reverse discrimination. There is just discrimination.
                      "Integrity is like virginity. Once it's lost, you can't get it back." --drunkhunter

Comment

"There is no such thing as reverse discrimination. There is just discrimination.

Thank you drunkhunter...exactly what I was going to say.
                        "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program" ~George W. Bush, November 2, 2000

Comment

quote:
                          "What does a white male have to do to find full time employment"

disguise yourself as a gay minority foreign woman with a handicap...guaranteed you will get hired on the spot!

welcome to the PC world!!
                          I'll post, You argue.

Comment

Originally posted by nickg:
                            quote:
                            "What does a white male have to do to find full time employment"

disguise yourself as a gay minority foreign woman with a handicap...guaranteed you will get hired on the spot!

welcome to the PC world!!
                            I was informed by another fellow officer that someone has done that. A guy applied 3 times to a large city PD in this State. The first 2 times he didn't get the job even though he tested & scored up at the top. Frustrated, on the third application he checked that box saying that he was gay. He got the job immediately. Not only that, he now has a job that is "protected".
                            I'm sure they didn't ask him to prove anything nor will they ever.
                            " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

Come down here if you have no record and they have enough money in the bank to cover your check and you don't mind standing in the food stamp line after you get your check you got a job.
                              Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3361 users online. 215 members and 3146 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X