300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

Before we retired and moved to Texas, I served as the CEO of a non-profit corporation that did a lot of youth services for a largely minority population, many of whom were the children of people that immigrated to the U.S. from a third world nation. I volunteered with the Christmas toy programs, fed the kids on Wednesday mornings, fed them on Thursday nights, volunteered at skateboard clinics, helped them with their homework four days a week after school, volunteered in the classroom at the public school, and on, and on, and on. I was working 40 hours a week as a cop, and then volunteering at least another 40 hours a week with the kids.

since you have some degree of business exp, I've noticed no one has brought up the business side of government to explain why these things are happening. Years and years ago the cost of prosecuting and incarceration was less than what it is today (yes I know conditions were worse). Today its more expensive to prosecute/incarcerate the person, so now everything is a revolving door.

Comment

Yes, I wouldn’t lose anything by jumping ship since it’s the same retirement system. The only thing I would lose is seniority, days off ETC. I guess another big fear of mine is FOMO, I like the excitement and feel as if I won’t have as much in a smaller area.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopeful_vet View Post
        Yes, I wouldn’t lose anything by jumping ship since it’s the same retirement system. The only thing I would lose is seniority, days off ETC. I guess another big fear of mine is FOMO, I like the excitement and feel as if I won’t have as much in a smaller area.
        Too little "excitement" is better than too much...or the wrong kind.

You can always get a hobby...

Comment

Don't worry about that !

You can be as busy as you want. Ok you probably are not going to be rolling from call to call. BUT that can be a good thing. If you are not running hard from one call to the next you can be a lot more proactive rather than reactive.

Pick a passion and exercise that passion. Back when I was working as a deputy there was this small town that had a problem with juveniles messing around a lot. Just small stuff but the mayor wanted them checked. I ended up working that small town for 3 months solid rather than rotating through the other areas.

I started out on the first night by stopping pretty much every vehicle moving................All good legal stops with things like license plate lights out, brake light out, no turn signal etc It wasn't really harassment because I was stopping young kids, old kids,parents, town officials ....I was stopping everyone.

Yea I got a few complaints but the mayor stopped getting complaints about the kids messing around in town. I used the time to also just stop when I saw kids gathering. I would chit chat and just smooze them. (Community Policing at it's start) I left that assignment feeling like I actually did something. I don't think I wrote a citation the entire3 months........but I also didn't take any mischief reports after the first couple weeks.

As a side note 30 yrs later a person approached me on social media to be a contact ...............I didn't remember him but he was one of those local juveniles who I chased around town. He remembered. He had gone on to be a cop out of state and now worked in one of our area counties as a court bailiff .
          The job is what you make it not necessarily what it makes you.

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I agree, don't worry about call volume.

That just gives you more time to do what you want to do...
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I just changed departments back to a slightly larger area, with a higher call volume but with a little shorter commute time FWIW. But the commute isn't a big deal for me because I had a department issued car to commute in.

The smaller town I was at was great and it had a very low call volume which I liked. It gave me more time to dedicate to each call and solving the problem (if possible). Got to know about everyone and everything to do with the small town. I was promoted twice and I never really ran out of stuff to do. It was great to patrol the neighborhoods and have people smile and wave for a change. Even the ones that might not have liked us, at least had enough respect not to give us the finger or cuss us. There were the crazy Karens to deal with from time to time but it wasn't every day. I miss the place and the people.

Then the chief started having issues with everything I would do. Started to hate to go to work again and decided to jump ship. Had a lot of sick time and vacation time saved up and hated to let the sick time go. They paid me for the vacation time I had saved up. Took a small pay cut but wasn't enough to miss.

Went back to the department I worked at before that smaller department. Lot more calls but zero stress from the chief down! I answer all my calls and give every call the attention I believe it needs. When I'm not answering calls I find something to do like follow ups on prior calls or some traffic stops etc.
              Must have​ ​​been enough to impress them. They just promoted me this week.

Down here we're an at will employment and seniority isn't a big deal or factor when it comes to days off or vacation time. If you have the vacation time and the shifts are covered then you can take your vacation time. As for promotions, seniority can be a factor but not the major factor.

Do the pros and cons and see which one scores higher.
              Good luck!

Comment

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                Congrats on the promotion, brother...

• westside popo
                westside popo commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks bud.

So a little more info... the department im currently in is approximately 400 officers, not including the ones in the jail. The department in considering is approximately 85 deputies not including the ones in the jail. I know this isn’t large because i started out getting hired by LA County, 10000 deputies. Is 80 to small?

Comment

So a little more info... the department im currently in is approximately 400 officers, not including the ones in the jail. The department in considering is approximately 85 deputies not including the ones in the jail. I know this isn’t large because i started out getting hired by LA County, 10000 deputies. Is 80 to small?
                It sounds to me like YOU THINK it is too small. You are the one that is going to have to work the job. If you go into it expecting something that is not there I guarantee you will be unhappy .

I work for an agency that has ELEVEN deputies.................................they are pretty much running call to call the last several months.

Pick your poison
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  It sounds to me like YOU THINK it is too small. You are the one that is going to have to work the job. If you go into it expecting something that is not there I guarantee you will be unhappy .

I work for an agency that has ELEVEN deputies.................................they are pretty much running call to call the last several months.

Pick your poison
                  Exactly right. What is "too small" for one person may be just right for another.

I've worked in "small town policing" my entire career. I have never worked for a department with more than 30 sworn officers. Understand that it tends to be a very different form of LE. If you're a deputy for the LA County SO, it's likely that you have access to crime scene techs, SWAT, detectives, narcotics officers, gang officers, and about a billion other specialized units. When you work for a small agency, you MAY have access to SOME of those units SOMETIMES (depending on manpower, staffing, and scheduling), but for the most part YOU are all of those units packed into one uniform. There isn't usually a chance to pawn off a burglary to the evidence techs or a rape to the special victims detectives...YOU do it all, frequently from beginning to end. You probably won't get the same level of action, but you will have to be a more well-rounded officer.
                  "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Where I'm at, an 80 officer department isn't so small. I worked in a department about that size. We had a crime scene unit, detectives, K9, bike unit and a combined city county swat team and narcotics unit.

Anything smaller than that you'll probably have to wear multiple hats. It's not so bad though, it give you different perspective on the job. You get to watch the case from start to finish as it goes through the system for one.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4670 users online. 277 members and 4393 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X