• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheriff Under Fire in Paris Hilton Case

Sheriff Under Fire in Paris Hilton Case
    Jun 8, 5:33 PM EST

The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- This is not the first time that Lee Baca, the sheriff who opened the jail door for Paris Hilton, has had his judgment questioned.

He's been accused of using his authority to benefit friends and supporters. Since taking office he's accepted thousands of dollars worth of freebie meals, sports tickets and trips.
    Now Baca is facing accusations of favoritism after making the decision that allowed Hilton to leave jail Thursday to serve out her sentence at her West Hollywood home.

After ordering Hilton back to her cell Friday, Superior Court Judge Michael T. Sauer said he "at no time condoned the actions of the sheriff."

The union representing deputy sheriffs demanded that Baca "put a stop to his special treatment for celebrity inmates." And county Supervisor Don Knabe said he was stunned to find out Baca released Hilton without consulting the court.

"I would have thought he would have better judgment than that," Knabe said.

The county Board of Supervisors will demand a report on Hilton's release and Baca's decision-making in the matter, Knabe said.

For Baca, 65, who has led the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department since 1998, the blowback is not extraordinary.

When Mel Gibson was arrested for drunken driving, the department withheld video and audio tapes of the arrest, asserting they were exempt from open-government laws.

There were questions about favorable treatment for Gibson after a sheriff's spokesman initially said the arrest occurred "without incident" and made no mention of the superstar's now-notorious anti-Semitic rant.

"When a celebrity is involved, that's when people pay attention," said Robert Stern of the Center for Governmental Studies, a research group. "The big question ... is why didn't the sheriff go to the judge" before Hilton was released.

Baca has dismissed criticism over the decision.

Last year, the Los Angeles Times reported Baca put one of his closest friends on the payroll as a $105,000-a-year adviser.

The newspaper also said he had accepted more than $42,000 in gifts since taking office, including some from those who do business with his department

In 2004, he took more gifts than California's other 57 sheriffs combined.

Baca oversees an 8,000-officer force that has been vexed by low morale, tight budgets, overcrowded jails and the persistence of gang crime.

Jonathan Wilcox, a Republican strategist who teaches a course on politics and celebrity at the University of Southern California, said Baca may be caught between public expectations and the reality of the criminal justice system:

"Sheriff Baca needs to be very concerned with at least the impression that the final frontier — the law — is now as affected by celebrity as almost every other aspect of our lives."

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?ne...GT1=7703&mpc=1
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

Its appears that this sheriff plays favorites and I wold not be surprised by the politics in the office. adly, the public has this thought of how much favorites he plays, well that is everyone but Kathy and Paris Hiltion.

I hope that thers a stop after this is being made public but you know, politics sucks and then life isnt fair. (wait isnt that what paris said, this isnt fair!!!???)))
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

THIS ISN'T FAIR!!!!! MOMMY!!!!!!!!:d :d :d :d :d :d
      When reality becomes too unbearable.............When he can't give an intelligent answer to the comment made instead of the comment he wish were made....... he predictably............. slips into ........The Fantasy Zone.
      -JPR

Comment

Originally posted by oshphopeful View Post
        ROFL

Comment

Never argue with someone who has the power to have you arrested for contempt. (In GA, only the Cornoer can arrest a Sheriff, but a Superior Court judge can order the arrest.)

Boy, did that sheriff mess up!

Like it or not, all LEOs are outranked by a Superior Court Judge.
          "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Originally posted by oshphopeful View Post
            HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

This happens at every Sheriff's office. I can tell you from personal experience we have received calls from the Major who stated that the Sheriff wants this person to be booked in and out when they get to jail...unlike the other turds who have to do their time. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$
              Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
                This happens at every Sheriff's office. I can tell you from personal experience we have received calls from the Major who stated that the Sheriff wants this person to be booked in and out when they get to jail...unlike the other turds who have to do their time. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$
                bingo and one more thing I have found tht helped influance his releasing her early...

Yesterday, Baca was battered by more accusations that he had given Hilton special treatment after it was revealed that her grandfather had given him a $1,000 campaign contribution.

Baca said the only special treatment Hilton got was a stiffer sentence "for a low-level crime." He also revealed that she had not been taking her meds for a "mental issue" while in jail.

"This lady has some severe problems," Baca said. "The criminal justice system should not create a football out of Hilton's status."

**"This is a simple case," deputy city attorney David Bozanich said. "There was a court order. The Sheriff's Department chose to violate that order. There is no ambiguity."

Sauer agreed.

Despite the judge's order that she do the max for violating probation on a booze-related driving conviction, Hilton could still be released in as little as 18 days, Baca said

Inmates get a day off their terms for every four days of good behavior - and the night she spent at home counts as time served, he said.(Im betting when she is released early again thats when the sheriff is going to face the judgem and not like it....
                Last edited by texaschickeee; 06-09-2007, 01:05 PM.
                Oscar Wilde

Comment

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/20...k_to_jail.html

opps...
                  Oscar Wilde

Comment

The Los Angeles county sheriff who sprung Paris Hilton reportedly took a $1,000 campaign donation last year from the heiress' grandpa, William Barron Hilton.

Sheriff Lee Baca got in hot water when he okayed Paris Hilton's 'I'm going bonkers' argument and sent her home Thursday with a monitoring bracelet.

The report of the donation by Radar magazine yesterday only made more mysterious the reason why her entourage seemed so sure ahead of Paris' release that she would be out in three days and back on the party circuit.

"Her management team was telling close friends, business associates, clubs where Paris was booked to appear, that she'd be out of jail in less than two days," one insider told the Daily News.

"They said it before she even left for jail!" the source said.

A spokesman for Baca refused to comment, but this is not the first news of his close ties to Hollywood.

Baca came under fire last summer when he failed to report the nasty anti-Semitic tirade Mel Gibson launched into when he was arrested for drunken driving.

It turned out that Gibson, dressed in a sheriff's uniform, had filmed free TV ads for Sheriff Lee Baca's Star Organization, which raises scholarship money for cop kids.

The inside source told The News that Paris thought her trip to the big house was a stunt.

"House arrest was always the No. 1 option," the source said. But now she's back in the real big house - prison.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/20...last_ye-2.html

themore I hear about this, the more it appears that theres aHUGE conflict of interst.....
                    Oscar Wilde

Comment

I bet it would be impossible to become sheriff in LA if you didn't do some favors for people.

Comment

Politicians for the lose

Comment

LA County Jail, like most counties in the State, are under a Federal headcount cap, including the Dept I retired from. The Federal judges don't like it when you don't follow their rules. LA County released her just like they do hundreds of prisoners a day. Problem is the media put their negative spin on it. If it was a "normal" person, it wouldn't have been an issue.
                          Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
                          Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

I guess its different in each state but I did not realize that the sheriff had the authority to release somebody from jail like that. I thought that if the judge sentenced you to 45 days then you were in 45 days. If there are good behavior credits, then those are added when a criteria is met...not on the whim of the sheriff.

Comment

Originally posted by 1oldsarge View Post
                              LA County Jail, like most counties in the State, are under a Federal headcount cap, including the Dept I retired from. The Federal judges don't like it when you don't follow their rules. LA County released her just like they do hundreds of prisoners a day. Problem is the media put their negative spin on it. If it was a "normal" person, it wouldn't have been an issue.
                              You say that was "NEGATIVE [email protected][email protected][email protected]!????????"

Please, tell me that you meant to say something else.
                              Space for rent .........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5136 users online. 292 members and 4844 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X