Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking a Lease for Employment (Fed LE)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking a Lease for Employment (Fed LE)

I am in a rather difficult situation and would appreciate any answers, insight, advice, all the above really. I am about to sign a new lease for a new apt and am also in the final stages of the hiring process for a few federal LE positions, the most pertinent one being USSS SA. To my best understanding, the next CITP classes at FLETC would be mid May and then a couple months after that (based off of what the agents involved with my hiring process have conveyed to me). I am hesitant to go ahead an sign a whole brand new lease knowing very well it is pretty likely I will have an EOD at FLETC sometime in the near future. I understand the provisions for breaking a lease in general (military obligations, uninhabitable conditions, etc.), but is there anything else that some of you may have done or experienced in a similar situation? TIA.

Month to month.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I was in a similar situation during my career with that state. My job made me subject to transfer on very short notice. I always explained that to new landlords and asked that it be written into the contract that I would be let out of the lease if I showed papers showing I was being transferred. I never had a landlord refuse and I only had to use that exception once, when I was 11 months into a 12 month lease.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Some places will allow breaking of a lease based on employment reasons. Ask and see or go month to month. But in the end that will be an expensive storage unit.
        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Yeah been here done that a couple of times....

When I entered 1811 world, I moved halfway across the country to my first duty station. But fletc didn't start for three months, and it was a six month academy. So I put all my stuff in a storage unit and stayed at an extended stay hotel until CITP started. Not cheap but cheaper than paying for an apartment while I'm in Georgia.

Fast forward six months- I'm done at fletc, return to duty station, get all my stuff out of storage, and then sign a lease on an apartment.

(side story: it was my first apartment experience and I hated it. Flimsy furnace would rattle all night. No outdoor space. Worst was the neighbor who left on weekends but forgot to turn off his alarm clock, and the constant ARRNT ARRNT ARRNT through the thin walls was like Chinese water torture.)

Fast forward another six months- the opportunity opened to go to my preferred location in the neighboring state. I visited the leasing office and explained that my work location had changed. The fatty behind the desk was indifferent to my situation and said I was beholden to the lease- unless another occupant moved in. I asked the obvious question: "So I have to keep paying rent until you rent it out to someone else?" The answer was yes. "How long will it be before someone else rents it?" The answer was five people were on a waiting list. I moved out that day and never paid another nickel in rent.

The bottom line is the next year of your life is going to be a transition period, mostly spent in Georgia but maybe other places too, so the less you're tied down to a lease, the better off you'll be.

If it is all beautiful you can’t believe it. Things aren’t that way.

-Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Wow, thanks for these responses guys. Yes it look likes paying an obscene amount for month to month or (hopefully) finding a cool landlord who is willing to work with me is gonna be my only
            option at this moment. Also funny story rat lol, I expect this next year to be a whirlwind as well. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Originally posted by griffinlocke View Post
              I am in a rather difficult situation and would appreciate any answers, insight, advice, all the above really. I am about to sign a new lease for a new apt and am also in the final stages of the hiring process for a few federal LE positions, the most pertinent one being USSS SA. To my best understanding, the next CITP classes at FLETC would be mid May and then a couple months after that (based off of what the agents involved with my hiring process have conveyed to me). I am hesitant to go ahead an sign a whole brand new lease knowing very well it is pretty likely I will have an EOD at FLETC sometime in the near future. I understand the provisions for breaking a lease in general (military obligations, uninhabitable conditions, etc.), but is there anything else that some of you may have done or experienced in a similar situation? TIA.
              I assume extending your lease on your current apartment on a month-to-month basis is not an option?

Comment

• griffinlocke
                griffinlocke commented
                Editing a comment
                not really because my girlfriend and I currently live together and we have a larger apt because it is the two of us plus a dog. She moves out and off to med school at the end of the month and I presumably will be downsizing for the time being. Extending the lease month to month on our current unit would not make sense financially. I may try to work with my current apt complex to possibly move to a smaller unit on a month to month lease given my circumstances. Should not be AS expensive.

• not.in.MY.town
                not.in.MY.town commented
                Editing a comment
                griffinlocke I'd definitely try to work with your current apartment complex first. I have no idea what the housing market is like where you are...but due to COVID a lot of landlords around here have been unable to collect rent. Most of them would prefer a financially stable month-to-month tenant over a 1-year-lease that they cannot collect on because the tenant is unemployed. Presumably, you've proven to be a reliable and responsible tenant, so they may be willing to accommodate you.

• griffinlocke
                griffinlocke commented
                Editing a comment
                not.in.MY.town.
                Yea I agree for the most part. We are in south FL on the water and have been here for 2 years so the rent is high as is. I'm hoping they can work something out for me month-to-month just in a smaller unit cause it would be crazy to pay what I pay now by myself plus a few hundred for that added month-to-month fee. The market right now for condos and apts is crazy down here. They get snatched up immediately. So it makes me think I could possibly find a cool landlord who could work out some type of agreement with me. Got exactly a month to figure it out!

Check out the RV trailer park thing. Buy yourself a small travel trailer towable with a truck, assuming you are single. Pay the $300.00 a month (usually about the average cost of space rent at most RV parks). All your other household goods put into a storage unit (average storage unit can run you around $100 a month). Most of the KOA RV parks are month to month and are pretty much everywhere. You can buy a nice small travel trailer for like 15K and it is useful for off duty camping and so on, not a waste of money like paying rent.

Numbers wise, say you get a loan on the travel trailer for a five year term, you'd be paying like $300 a month, then add RV space rent of $300 a month and storage unit of $100 a month.

Total of $700 a month, $300 of which is going towards a tangible asset you get to keep (travel trailer).

Cherry on top, the trailer goes with you wherever you want it to go, its essentially your house on wheels. During your time in FLETC you can park it at hopefully a friends house, relative, co-worker etc. Or choose to stay in it at FLETC instead of the dorms/hotels.

Just a thought.

Comment

• moparfan
                moparfan commented
                Editing a comment
                Man where you looking for these prices? A new trailer maybe 15k more 20k to 25k. The campground are more like 1k a month and most have done away with a month to month. They got tired of the less desirables staying with the breaking bad RVs and trailers. Most have the 3 week in 1 to 2 week out rule, KOA included. That's also due to tenant issues since the 31day mark you'd have to be evicted from the park (it's a weired gray area, I've dealt with at work several times) and storage at 100 a month for a closet not for an apartment size.

The RV option is smart, I've got a buddy doing that as a traveler RN. He bought a truck and huge tralier and enjoys it.

Do your research and check all the laws and RV parks in the area and see what they say. I was doing this while doing wildland fire. The 30 day price was a few bucks more but I didn't have to worry about having a power meter hooked up. They did a month to month price which included all hook ups like the 30day but you'd have to be hooked to a power meter. I liked run the A/C all day.

• SOCAleo
                SOCAleo commented
                Editing a comment
                Check out Cheyenne Camping Center in Walcott IA and I didn't say "new" I said "a nice small travel trailer." Well in the area I'm from there is a lot of campers that come from all around and the KOAs in the area cater to those vacationers, month to month. Yes it is around $300.00 a month. I think you are thinking of more residential RV sites, I mean the camping ones.

Guess you live in a high cost of living area . According to the average cost of self storage units it is anywhere from $95 to $155 a month for a 10x20.

https://home.costhelper.com/self-sto...%20foot%20home.

Many apartments have lease break clauses. I'm currently in the same boat. Indefinitely waiting for final hiring and a class date. I gave notice to my current apartment (doesn't have a lease break) -- lease ends next month. Signed a 12-month lease at a new place that requires you give 60 days notice and then pay a 1-month break fee, that's it. 1 is pretty generous, most places I called are 2 or 3 months. When you add up how much you might spend in a month-to-month, the lease break might be the more cost effective option.

Comment

Everywhere I've ever lived month to month was granted at the end of the original 12 month lease and then usually the price didn't go up. I could leave with 30 days notice and they could hike my rent with 30 days notice. So I rarely did anything month to month but in this case if I was OP I would pay the month to month premium if there is one. Always cheaper than breaking a new lease in my experience.

I did break a lease once but it was beneficial to the property owners. They made a mistake and rented me a 2 bed apt at the 1 bedroom price. A house and a good roommate came up and I wanted to move early. They balked at first but then I explained how much money they were losing and that at the end of the lease I would leave anyway because I had no interest in paying for the 2 bedroom at full rate. Eventually they figured out it was in everyone's best interest and let me leave on my schedule about 5 months ahead of the lease ending.

Comment

• griffinlocke
                  griffinlocke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yea month to month looks like a decent option. just might have to look elsewhere from my current complex given we already gave them intent to not re-sign, the rent is high as is, and the management is borderline sadistic.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6068 users online. 349 members and 5719 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X