Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which department?

Hey guys,
    if you read any of my last posts you’ll see that my ultimate goal is to work for the federal government, however I’m in situation and need some advice. I work for a large department where smaller cities contract with us for services. I currently work as a detective in a crime suppression unit and enjoy it a lot.

I used to work in one of the contract cities which has a population of about 60-70k. This city has a high crime rate and was a lot of fun. Recently the mayor and sheriff got into it and the city is breaking off to do their own thing. Both departments are very supportive of their law enforcement.

The smaller city just came out with their wages and benefits and have selected their command staff. They basically chose the most proactive, crime fighting bunch of the county and I have a good reputation among them and I’m being recruited to this department. Their pay is about 10-15k higher than my current salary, but options will be limited. I like the idea of getting a significant pay increase and better benefits but worry about leaving a larger department with more opportunities. Any advice?

Thanks,

15 grand is a lot. Just because there are opportunities does not mean you will be chosen to take advantage of them. On the other hand, how secure Is the new department. It so
    nds like it will be roughly a 100 officer department. That is expensive to start and expensive to walk away from. It is also big enough to have plenty of opportunity.

Comment

Will they hire you into a Dick spot or Sgt spot?
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Ya very pricey, they have a good tax base with a lot of business because they are the most central city in the county. One of the reasons they left is because they wanted significant raises for the officers, but the board would vote it down every time.

The chief is my old executive officer and kind of gave me the nod stating I would have a good shot at being a detective in the new department but nothing promised. I would not want to take a sergeant spot and they are currently in the process so I’ve already missed that opportunity.

Yes the department will not be “small” by most standards but roughly 1/5-1/6 of my current department. They will have everything my current department has minus a couple of task force spots and canyon patrol since I live in a mountainous state. Opportunity will be there but competing for two spots vs 10-12 may be harder or easier depending on the competition.

If the pay wasn’t so good I probably would not leave my current department since they are similar in ideologies, with similar support. The new department also tops out about 3 years earlier which just compounds making more money.

Comment

Go with which ever department will afford you the opportunity for some form of specialized experience. If you're trying to work for the federal government apply to some of the covered positions that do mass hiring. As some people on here are finding out local and state LE experience isn't a shoe in for a federal SA position.

Comment

I can definitely see that being an issue. Half the officers I work with are great and would be amazing at anything they do. The other half aren’t necessarily bad officers but they will never be the best at most things they do. Usually they are the ones who think they should be chief already because they have 15 years of experience. I think a lot of street cops could make excellent SAs but yes there are a lot who would never be good at it.

Comment

• Levithane
              Levithane commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't comment on the job itself, I can only comment on what I observed in dealing with people from both professions. SA's definitely have a different personality archetype than a uniformed officer or patrol officer. And just from my limited experience when having to do a BI, more often than not the person didn't have LE experience.

• Hopeful_vet
              Hopeful_vet commented
              Editing a comment
              What would those differences be?

• Levithane
              Levithane commented
              Editing a comment
              SA's usually presented themselves as more organised and just came off differently, IE it felt like I was dealing with someone more business oriented as well as being more approachable. Local and state came off to me as more rigid, and there wasn't the same level of cooperation (sorry guys, but it was always easier getting info from the feds than local, and state when doing BIs).

Are you actually in a federal process now? If not, why not?

How is federal pay compared to the 10-15k pay raise offered?

Comment

What does the new departments retirement and current/future medical look like when you retire? Will they take into account your years if service? Will the 2 retirements amount to the same or more if you stay where you are at?
              I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

So I have started a few applications but have no submitted them. What’s stopping me is simple and stupid... fear of being rejected. In my mind I’m trying to better my resume before applying.

My retirement currently is through the state and would be the same retirement and contributions for any department I work for so there is no change. Unfortunately medical is not covered through our state retirement.

This new department will top our near 77k a year. Sergeants at almost 100k a year without OT. Federal probably out does officers around here by 30-40k a year.

Comment

• 9L81
                  9L81 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just apply. GS-13 with LEAP in RUS pays between $115K and about $150K depending on step.

Not sure about UT but the fed isn't like CA where every PHS asks about prior agencies you have applied to. So if you start doing apps and it takes a while to get anywhere with it you don't have to worry about listing all your previous applications. You will learn how to apply as you go through more and more processes so don't wait until your ideal agency pops up to put in your first federal application.

• Levithane
                  Levithane commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Who cares if you get rejected. I've been rejected more times than I can count. That fear is going to impact your ability to do well on the panel interviews, and whatever else they throw at you.

• just joe
                  just joe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are wasting time, then. If you are a detective for a large agency, your resume is good enough. If you are not chosen, it won't be because of your resume.

If federal LE is your goal, then apply to jobs that stop the 12d retirement clock. There are many state/local/non-LE dreamers who wanted a fed job but never pulled the trigger on applying far and wide, and aged out at 37. Apply for 1811 positions if that’s what you want, but seriously consider BPA, CBPO, FAM, DO, DUSM, and other positions that’ll get you in the system. Those positions also pay quite well after a few years.

As for your current dilemma, pick the department you’d be most happy with if you had to stay, but realize that if you get after it, you could be shipping off to a federal academy within a couple years, making your current choice moot.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5992 users online. 348 members and 5644 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X