Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you ticket a Medal of Honor winner for 13 over?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you ticket a Medal of Honor winner for 13 over?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Depends on his attitude
    Yes
    25.00%
    No
    75.00%
    "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Sure. Might not, either. I'd decide at the time like I always did, I guess. Are they exempt or something? Did I miss a memo?
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Depends on attitude, and if I knew prior to writing that he had the MOH.

Trooper, that was hilarious.
      Best Regards,
      Zebra 305
      "Shots fired, shots fired..get me some goddam cars up here now!"
      Typical Henry Sector PG County radio traffic, circa 1996.

Comment

I think this was pretty much covered in the Memorial Day Weekend Summons Bonanza thread.
        "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
          Sure. Might not, either. I'd decide at the time like I always did, I guess. Are they exempt or something? Did I miss a memo?

"Don't mean a thing," would seem to sum up your answer.

Comment

Would you ticket a Medal of Honor recipient for 13 over?
            I could see it going either way depending on a whole host of things to include lighting, traffic, location, and etc.
            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

I couldn't possibly do it...

I wouldn't stop anyone for 13 over

I think the memo was titled
              "Bigger Fish to Fry..."
              10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Comment

I'm not going to vote, I'm just going to tell you a story.

My friend's cousin and her friend were hit by an 80 year old man (a surgeon by profession) who was speeding thru a pedestrian area last year.

The friend suffered a broken leg. The cousin, a lovely young girl in her 20's, was thrown several feet, and her head hit the curb. This happened last year, and they have only just been able to replace the skull piece they removed to take out part of her brain.

While not paralysed, she suffers severe palsey, and has no real funtion in her arms and legs. She has to be fed, and supervised so she doesn't choke. She doesn't speak. She will probably spend the rest of her life in an institution.

The driver was not taken into custody, and was heard to complain that his cab was taking too long, as he had a function to attend.

There are more then enough "citizens" out there second guessing your every move, I don't think you should "back-seat drive" each other as well.
                Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

The reasons citizens second-guess cops is because of the title of this post.

The officer's reply, plus some of the dicussion on the original thread, give adequate fuel for citizens to second guess an officer's behavior.

An officer is given discretion. If he uses that discretion for personal gain, he's corrupt. If he misuses if for some other reason and you take discretion out of the picture, then there's little reason to have traffic cops...just use cameras and robots.

I am ashamed at the actions the officer took in this case. He made us all look like unpatroitic, officious fools. That's why it made its way into the newspaper.

If you refuse to second guess ANYONE, you give up your right to think. Cops are not beyond the laws of common sense that bind us all. I've seen corrupt cops, seen cops who were brutal, and know of one who got caught going down on another guy at a gay nightclub and tried to badge his way out of it.

We have a rough job to do. We don't need cops like this one, or like the three in Atlanta who killed a 92 year old woman on a "no knock" search warrant at 2 a.m. (no drugs found) representing the good ones, and the vast marjority are good ones.

We must police ourselves, especially in areas such as this where technically the cop was legal, but did something to me that is reprehensible to the average American.

Comment

Make it stop please.

I can't take it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene L View Post
                      "Don't mean a thing," would seem to sum up your answer.
                      No, it wouldn't. I'm sure 1042 respects that man's achievements but understands they don't exempt him from following the law.

An MOH isn't a free pass to violate the law; even if it's an infraction. I'm NOT saying ticket every damn infraction. I'm just saying, if the driver doesn't appear to be correctable with a verbal warning then the obvious recourse is writing him. It sounds like this man referred to his MOH plates. I do not know if he was just mentioning it or shaming the trooper but if it was the latter, I believe a ticket might be in order. I believe I just described in enough details a reasonable course of action here.
                      -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

An officer is given discretion. If he uses that discretion for personal gain, he's corrupt. If he misuses if for some other reason and you take discretion out of the picture, then there's little reason to have traffic cops...just use cameras and robots.
                        Certainly if he uses it for personal gain and not in fair enforcement that would be the case. As for cameras, they already do nail people. A whole lot in fact. It's a wonderful extension of the police officer.
                        I am ashamed at the actions the officer took in this case. He made us all look like unpatroitic, officious fools. That's why it made its way into the newspaper.
                        The only thing that this officer did that I disagree with was disrespect the man by saying, about his medal, that it "doesn't mean a thing." I don't believe he intended it to mean the medal itself but it's relevance to the infraction. I'll bet, Gene, that you are an example of a person that is eating up the media furor surrounding this. Who here honestly thinks that officer doesn't respect that man's sacrifices and achievements. I for one don't.

You have a lot of gall to be saying he doesn't belong in the profession. I think THAT is disrespectful of HIS service thus far.

And don't think that the average American is going to agree with your distorted sense of right and wrong. Both of these fellows made mistakes but one of them broke the law.
                        -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

Look at the poll.

My view isn't distorted. And you are not a cop.

Comment

Originally posted by djack16 View Post
                            "doesn't mean a thing."
                            Once again....how do you know the Officer said this...? Where you there...? Have you seen the video on it...?

That quote.....and the other one that Mr. Currey supposedly said to the Officer have never been verified......

Gene, when you posted these polls....you should have put them in the Ask a Cop area....so only LEOs could respond......but that's just me......

Comment

The guy committed an infraction, and a cop wrote him a ticket for it.

In the process, the cop was rude. People think that is justification for the cop to be fired?

I have seen a lot of statements posted by cops on this very forum that were much ruder than "Doesn't mean a thing." I could find some examples if you like. Should all officers who are rude to criminals be fired?

Originally posted by Gene L
                              And you are not a cop.
                              Irrelevant and I'm sick of hearing it. If you only wanted cops' opinions you should have posted this in one of the LEO-only forums. Maybe the moderators will move it.
                              Last edited by Fëanor; 06-07-2007, 10:10 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4433 users online. 230 members and 4203 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X