Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How in shape do you have to be to be a cop?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How in shape do you have to be to be a cop?

I tried out to be a firefighter last year. I am about 30 lbs overweight (I know I am too heavy right now), and was this heavy last year, but I worked out for about a month prior to the agility test. We had the following that I passed:

Balancing on a horizontal ladder with all gear on in certain amount of time
    PASSED (easier than it looks)

Swung an axe into a stump 17 times in 30 seconds (rough estimate, also easier than it looks)
    PASSED

Carrying hose from a truck to a certain point in a time limit
    PASSED

Dragging a 185 lb dummy (I forget how many feet, but it was A LOT) to a certain point and back.
    (A LOT HARDER THAN IT LOOKS)
    BARELY PASSED, was extremely out of breath

Carrying a huge ladder off the truck and onto a wall, climbing it and touching a point all in a certain amount of time. (It was awkward to carry and couldn't do it in the time limit.)

FAILED

Climbing a ladder to about 30 feet in the air and pulling the hose up.
    (I was so exhausted by this point I couldn't do it, but it would have been easy as pie if I had started with it first)

FAILED

Bottom line, I was way too out of shape, but I figured if they accepted me I could get in shape in the 6 months it would take to take the fire classes.

My question, is a police agility test easier, harder, or about the same as this? Does it rely more on physical strength, or more on endurance, can you give me a % of how much it is strength and how much endurance? I realize I have to drop my 30 lbs regardless of what career I choose, but I am wondering what to expect. Also, anyone out there who was as overweight as I am, how long did it take you to shed the weight and build muscle? I am computer guy and have very little muscle.

Whatever dept you are applying to should have a website which will tell you what is required of you. It depends from agency to agency!

Good Luck

Comment

Illinois POWER test for someone your age:

Bench Press - 98% of body weight
      Sit Ups - 37 in one minute
      Sit and Reach - Not sure
      Mile and 1/2 Run - 13:37

That'll give you some idea.
      "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

How "in shape" you have to be depends on how long you wish to survive.
        As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

As indicated, only as strong and conditioned as you need to be to live, should some guy named Iggy the Piggy (who has been lifting weights for 15 years waiting for his parole) decide to overpower you, kill you and escape when you try to arrest him. Any questions?

'Nuff said.
          The All New
          BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

It doesn't really depend on the department. It depends on the violator. Plan on being in better shape than the people you will have to encounter. Remember, criminals never get older.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Good point. Has anyone here been around my weight and trimmed themselves down? How long did it take? What was your routine/diet?

Comment

Originally posted by michiganDT View Post
                Good point. Has anyone here been around my weight and trimmed themselves down? How long did it take? What was your routine/diet?
                I'm not heavy at all-so I couldn't answer this question, but it would help others answer if you gave your height and weight...Otherwise it takes 2 weeks to drop from 450 lbs to 420 lbs

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Wow, after only working out for a month and being 30lbs overweight, there is no way your body will sustain heavy lifting, etc for a longer period of time such as the CPAT. I'm surprised you didn't have to do the VO2 test?

I seriously doubt that the police testing will garner you any better luck. There is no shortcut, nor can you take the 6 months after you get hired to get in shape. Most people who apply for either police or fire are in the best shape they can be. There is no "easier test"

Lose the weight first then build the muscle. Boatloads of cardio combined with a low fat high protein diet will help you lose the weight, then start your weight training. It ain't gonna happen overnight.

Comment

After sustaining a football career ending shoulder injury I ballooned to almost 300 lbs at 5'10". It took me almost a year to return to 200 lbs. Now I bounce between 210 and 220 depending on the time of year and my schedual. I stopped eating 2-3 big meals a day and started eating very small meals no larger then both my palms together about 4-6 times in a day, again depending on what's going on. Carb's early in the day to protein only at the end of the day. Cardio on days I work, free weights on my days off. I don't do heavy lifting because of how beat down my body is so instead I do high rep medium heavy weights for muscle endurance.
                    Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                    I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                    Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                    as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Cardio is the best way to lose the weight, but if you hate running, try something else like bicycling etc. Make sure you do endurance rides, not just casual strolls through the park. Couple that with a good diet, and you could prob lose the weight in a couple months (worked for me). After that point, -then- you can focus on muscle, which takes considerably more time. I have seen it take up to a year or two for people to gain enough muscle to pass the 98% press in IL...

Comment

MichiganDT-

Nearly every LE agency at the city, county, state, and federal level has some sort of fitness assessment to passs before being hired or passing the academy. As was already said, it varies from agency to agency. But almost without fail-

There is some kind of strength/muscular endurance test- pushups, pull-ups, dummy drags, bench presses......

And there is some measurement of cardio endurance- Running 1 to 2 timed miles, sprinting a certain distance, etc........

Sometimes there is a test of agility- an obstacle course, weapon handling/manipulation.......

From the way you describe yourself, you seem to be physically strong enough to endure the strength portions. However, you're going to have to get better at cardio. We can all stand around all day long and scream about " I never chased anyone for a mile!" 'till we are blue in the face........

But that is the current standard. That's just the way it is. So you must work to get yourself into better shape. Do not think academy will take care of that for you. It is not the place to get into shape. This should be done BEFORE you attend. So I feel that you should hunker down and get on the treadmill,, hop on a stairmaster, or hit the road and put some miles in. Eat a balanced diet, wear comfortable clothing, buy proper running shoes, and get plently of sleep. But in the end, you're going to have to do some sweating; pure and simple.

Comment

MichiganDT-
                          I started getting in shape a year ago (May) for a January academy. I weighed 320 and am now at 260. It takes time but get yourself into a regular eating and exercise routine. Get others involved too if you can to help with working out and eating.

Get breakfast in the morning. Nothing too starchy or sugary.
                          Snack throughout the day on fruits, nuts, raisins and energy bars.
                          Have lunch be your big meal of the day.
                          Eat a sensible dinner with veggies and lean meat.
                          Stay away from alcohol and fast food.

I am not afraid to say I drank a lot of SlimFast. It isn't the best but it is filling as long as you don't chug it.

Suck it up and start running and really working out the cardio. I hate it too but do intervals - jog for 45 seconds then sprint as hard as you can the same amount of time. Continue that cycle 5-10 times then run a mile. Monitor your times (get a decent wrist watch with timers on it) to track your improvement.

If you have any questions, send me a PM. Would be happy to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
                            MichiganDT-
                            I started getting in shape a year ago (May) for a January academy. I weighed 320 and am now at 260. It takes time but get yourself into a regular eating and exercise routine. Get others involved too if you can to help with working out and eating.

Get breakfast in the morning. Nothing too starchy or sugary.
                            Snack throughout the day on fruits, nuts, raisins and energy bars.
                            Have lunch be your big meal of the day.
                            Eat a sensible dinner with veggies and lean meat.
                            Stay away from alcohol and fast food.

I am not afraid to say I drank a lot of SlimFast. It isn't the best but it is filling as long as you don't chug it.

Suck it up and start running and really working out the cardio. I hate it too but do intervals - jog for 45 seconds then sprint as hard as you can the same amount of time. Continue that cycle 5-10 times then run a mile. Monitor your times (get a decent wrist watch with timers on it) to track your improvement.

If you have any questions, send me a PM. Would be happy to help.
                            Thanks for all the tips. My biggest problem is that I deliver pizza. We really don't have time for lunch breaks on the job and I am around tons of fattening food when I am starving. I'll try packing the nuts and fruits.

Comment

I bought this system called (ripped system) from gnc last year. If our not into using supplements then just go to their website www.ripped-system.com and look at how they break up the workout rountine and they even have meal plans. It worked very well for me. I started at 225 in jan06 and now weigh 194. The physicals are a cake walk now.
                              "Arrive safe and leave safe", "The more information we have the better decisions we make"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4293 users online. 197 members and 4096 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X