300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral from NY TO FL or TX

Hello guys I’m currently an officer with the nypd for approx 6 years now, have been looking to relocate around southwest of Florida or Dallas-Fort Worth suburbs , curious if any of you guys have suggestions of what dept to look into in those areas, not looking to work for a big city as after working for one I would never leave to go to another big city , buddy of mine suggested Lee county sheriffs dont really know if working for a PD or sherriffs office, which would be better. What’s the pay like , morale , etc , any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm retired, and live southwest of DFW...but I was a cop elsewhere, in a place that paid MUCH more than police work pays around here. I don't think these guys make very much money at all...

Comment

• LF_LI
      LF_LI commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate your input , hard to find top pay salaries because most agencies don’t post it lol not saying money is the only factor but it’s part of it

You would probably be better off with Florida. I live in DFW and the housing prices are starting to shoot up because of all the people from high COL areas are now relocating here. State Troopers in TX make fairly good money, wouldn't recommend Dallas PD since their retirement system was put through the ringer. My local PD's officers seem fairly happy, although I think the rising housing costs is going to make it difficult soon living on that salary. Tarrant county Sheriffs office is large for a sheriffs department, and you would probably start off doing jail work for the first few years.
    Last edited by Levithane; 02-07-2021, 06:14 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• LF_LI
      LF_LI commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I wouldn’t go to Dallas PD, I was looking more like Allen , McKinney , Plano ... around there but just wanted to get an idea because working in NYC is just not worth it anymore between morale , politics , cost of living rising so , appreciate your input though.

• Levithane
      Levithane commented
      Editing a comment
      Plano is probably the highest paying out of those three. I don't know anything about how they handle laterals. Im only a Parole Officer so I only have interaction with the PDs around here. Irving doesn't seem like a bad one to work for, and its not that large of a city either.

The major metros are probably the only ones who run specific processes for out of state candidates.

I toyed with the idea of heading out to D/FW years ago. I believe there is a bridge class that you can take (maybe 40-80 hours) and then take your certification test. Florida has something similar. But, if you are not part of an accelerated out-of-state process, are you going to fly out to Texas half a dozen times on spec to go through all of the testing and interviews?

Comment

• LF_LI
      LF_LI commented
      Editing a comment
      From my understanding , places like Allen have accelerated lateral programs and as far as Florida is concerned a lot of guys from my agency have lateraled to Florida all across the state. Florida you can get hired non-certified and you’ll be on their payroll while completing your two week equivalency course or they want you to get certificated first then work for them, depends on the agency. I would fly down back and forth if need be if I had to. I would like to stick to west coast of Florida to look.

If you are looking at Texas, the large cities like Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso, etc are the bright and shiny objects of the state. Look closer at an area in and around these metropolitan areas at the smaller cities that have their own departments then check out their web sites for employment opportunities. I would also call their HR since some sites aren't updated in a timely manner.

Don't stop there. Each of the over 250 counties of Texas has a sheriff and constable departments. I'm from Houston, and they have constable departments bigger than the medium sized department that I had retired from. I was recently speaking to a couple of constable deputies from either precinct 4 or 5, and they were both in the mental health unit. Houston also has the Metro Transit Police. I'm going to stop there because there are a ton of other departments like school and university police, hospital police, court bailiffs, Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission agents, Texas Park Police, Game Wardens, State Troopers, rail road police, marshal departments, etc, etc.

So what I'm saying here is don't just look at the big picture, but focus on the details. Of course, most of these smaller departments don't have their own academies, and I'm not sure what hoops you need to jump through to get your peace officer's license here if you are coming already licensed from NY. Self sponsored academies are around Texas that provide TCOLE licensing training as well as other mandated training at their academy and online. If you are relatively competent and you want to be a peace officer in Texas, it really isn't as difficult as it seems, especially since Texas is constantly growing.
    Last edited by angeredmgmt; 02-22-2021, 03:49 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6592 users online. 362 members and 6230 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X