300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very tragic Story

I don't know if any of you heard about this, but I just did today and I'm in total disbelief. Thought I would share and see what everyone else's thought's are.

ROMANCE, Ark. — An 18-month-old boy died Wednesday of suspected heat exposure after he climbed into a dishwasher that started running, police said.

Authorities are still investigating, but said it appeared the boy's death was accidental.

"This is probably the hardest, most emotional scene that these investigators will ever work," said Chief Deputy Jeremy Clark of the White County sheriff's office.

Blake Kurck was found dead in his home near the White County town of Romance at about 1 p.m. Wednesday, the sheriff's office said. The boy's 13-year-old brother found him inside the appliance, which was running, authorities said.

"The baby's blanket was lying in front of the dishwasher, so (the brother) opened it," Clark said.

Police have not released how the boy died, but said cause of death would likely be heat exposure. A preliminary report showed no prior trauma on the boy, the sheriff's office said.

"What we have found out so far would suggest that this is a tragic accident; however the case is still open and we're still looking," Clark said.

The dishwasher was empty when the child got inside, police said. Investigators said the dishwasher was a Maytag model that automatically started when the door closed.

"The death of any child is tragic," said Monica Teague, a spokeswoman for Whirlpool Corp., which makes Maytag dishwashers.

Teague said Whirlpool's appliances are certified for child safety through an independent product testing corporation.

"All our appliances go through rigorous testing," Teague said.

Horrid.

I know little guys can get themselves into a heap of trouble through curiosity, but it is hard to picture an 18 month old child climbing in over the racks and pulling the door shut.
    We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
    but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

What a shame.

That's a stupid feature on a dishwasher anyway. So you can never close your dishwasher without it running?

Originally posted by Chaplain Keppy
      it is hard to picture an 18 month old child climbing in over the racks and pulling the door shut.
      My thoughts also, but I can see it happening.

Some dishwashers have spring-loaded doors that just need a tiny bump to close.

Besides, I can picture an infant thinking that it would be fun to play hide-and-seek, so they sneak in and close the door.
      Last edited by Fëanor; 06-05-2007, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I just can't understand how come it took so long for someone to find him. I have 2 year old boy and 4 year old girl and I know when they get quiet that means trouble. They're just so curious at that age and you have to be right on top of them all of the time.
        Last edited by forensiccop; 06-05-2007, 08:11 PM.

Comment

I have a little guy of my own. My thoughts and prayers to the family.
          "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

If the door does close that easily, it is especially wierd that the machine starts automatically. I mean, what happens when you've just emptied the machine and want to close the door but NOT turn it on?
            We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
            but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain Keppy View Post
              If the door does close that easily, it is especially wierd that the machine starts automatically. I mean, what happens when you've just emptied the machine and want to close the door but NOT turn it on?
              My thoughts exactly. A stupid feature. As if it's so hard to push a button/turn a knob to switch on the dishwasher.

Comment

In the machines I've operated, the knob has to be pulled out before it starts. Closing the door isn't enough.

I'm thinking this needs more investigation...

Comment

I would think it would only start if you pressed the start button before closing it. My mom's washer has the button on the top where you can't see it when it is closed so it starts automatically when you close it if you have pressed that button. I seriously doubt the thing starts every time it closes no matter what.
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by forensiccop View Post
                    I just can't understand how come it took so long for someone to find him. I have 2 year old boy and 4 year old girl and I know when they get quiet that means trouble. They're just so curious at that age and you have to be right on top of them all of the time.

I have a 5 yr old and 3yr old....quiet is NOT good!

This is just horrid.
                    Missy

Comment

Originally posted by JPatrick View Post
                      In the machines I've operated, the knob has to be pulled out before it starts. Closing the door isn't enough.

I'm thinking this needs more investigation...
                      True, but it seems like the cops have considered the murder possibility and dismissed it.

If you put a baby in the dishwasher to kill them, would you leave their blanket right next to the dishwasher?

I can see where there would be a little suspicion of murder, but it looks like an accident to me.

Originally posted by forensiccop
                      They're just so curious at that age and you have to be right on top of them all of the time.
                      True but the temperature in a dishwasher gets very hot very fast. My dishwasher's entire wash/dry cycle takes about 30-40 minutes. I'm sure a baby would only last a few minutes in there.

Yeah, it could've been prevented with constant supervision. But is there a parent in the world who has never left their baby alone for 10 minutes?
                      Last edited by Fëanor; 06-05-2007, 08:37 PM.

Comment

What, did they forget the rinse cycle?
                        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

the dishwasher at my girlfriend's house is like that. you can close it, but not latch it. I leaned on it one time and it clicked shut and started running. seems like a pretty stupid idea to me, I mean, what's the point? my thoughts go out to the family.

Comment

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
                            True, but it seems like the cops have considered the murder possibility and dismissed it.
                            The police did nothing of the sort...

"What we have found out so far would suggest that this is a tragic accident; however the case is still open and we're still looking," Clark said!"

Still looking means exactly that...they are still looking at all the possibilities. Fëanor, I think you're slightly out of your element on this one

EDIT: Dream with the Angels now little one
                            Last edited by exComptonCop; 06-05-2007, 11:26 PM.
                            "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

No reason to rush things and make an arrest now. If charging the parents becomes necessary, they will have three years (if a felony) to do so. If they charge murder, they have the rest of the defendant's life to do so. Better to do a thorough, unassailable investigation up front and then charge, rather than make a hasty arrest and play catchup.
                              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4676 users online. 304 members and 4372 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X