Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Batmobile" Patrol Cars

http://www.newsday.com/news/printedi...y-linews-print

My local department is considering adding these devices to their patrol cars. The range is said to be about 20ft (pg 2 of the article).

Any other ideas for modifying patrol cars?

How about a metal detector in the frame of the rear door of a patrol car .

I don't remember where I heard about it, but I remember that someone was trying to develop some kind of electronic interference device. It would be mounted on the front of a patrol car much like the GPS device.

It would disrupt a car's electronic system enough to disable it. Much better than the GPS system, I think.

Your metal detector is going to go off every time you put a suspect in your car, unless you have plastic handcuffs

Comment

Yes. I think this one's been under development for a while. It's sure safer than a PIT maneuver.

Comment

haha I was waiting for someone to mention the handcuffs. Foiled again!

Comment

What's next, oil that shoots out from the rear of our cars and covers the suspects windshield? LOL

I'm for anything that can reduce officer and civilian injuries/deaths from pursuits.
          "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Originally posted by irishdep View Post
            What's next, oil that shoots out from the rear of our cars and covers the suspects windshield? LOL

I'm for anything that can reduce officer and civilian injuries/deaths from pursuits.
            LMAO... how about some grappling hook cannons for the bike officers to latch onto the suspect's vehicle? They should feel the "rush" of the chase too (until the suspect hits the brakes ).

Comment

I see some problems. If the car is stolen, BG's just leave the vehicle. Another issue is that when BG's find out about this trick, they will just place the tag on another vehicle. Wasted time, effort and may cause a dangerous situation for innocents anyway.
              Space for rent .........

Comment

Originally posted by scratched13
                If the car is stolen, BG's just leave the vehicle
                And you don't see the benefit in recovering a stolen vehicle? It also gives a starting point for a continued search for the felon.

Another issue is that when BG's find out about this trick, they will just place the tag on another vehicle.
                That one is a legitimate concern. A little bit of glue seems like it might not stick every time, and it would be easier for the bad guys to just yank off. If it was held in with metal spikes instead, the bad guys would probably destroy it in the removal process.

and may cause a dangerous situation for innocents anyway
                How?

Personally I think that the other system I mentioned would work better, but I definitely disagree with you. The GPS is not a waste of time or effort.

Comment

Originally posted by scratched13 View Post
                  I see some problems. If the car is stolen, BG's just leave the vehicle. Another issue is that when BG's find out about this trick, they will just place the tag on another vehicle. Wasted time, effort and may cause a dangerous situation for innocents anyway.
                  You don't back off completely... you can maintain a safe distance without making the suspect go any faster. You would know how fast the suspect is going and when he stops. You can maintain a 2 block trailing distance or more.

Comment

What about

What about when the bad boys and girls figure out that when they do get tagged while fleeing, that the cops are going to slow way down (because they have too for liability) and if they keep going really fast, the cops wont have time to set up a perimeter to catch them when they decide to ditch the car......and if while still fleeing fast they slam another citizen, guess who will still get sued?........you only get one guess......

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson225 View Post
                      What about when the bad boys and girls figure out that when they do get tagged while fleeing, that the cops are going to slow way down (because they have too for liability) and if they keep going really fast, the cops wont have time to set up a perimeter to catch them when they decide to ditch the car......and if while still fleeing fast they slam another citizen, guess who will still get sued?........you only get one guess......
                      It's not perfect and it's not going to eliminate high-speed pursuits. But it is an effort. Every effort made by the police to prevent high-speed chases means a slightly larger chance that the police will win the lawsuits.

Comment

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
                        It's not perfect and it's not going to eliminate high-speed pursuits. But it is an effort. Every effort made by the police to prevent high-speed chases means a slightly larger chance that the police will win the lawsuits.
                        It shouldn't be about lawsuits. It should be about right and wrong. The BG's are those that are responsible and they should be held accountable.
                        Space for rent .........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6083 users online. 313 members and 5770 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X