300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish for LE

I'm looking to take an online or CD based Spanish for LE course to increase my grasp of the language, which is pretty small right now. I was hoping to have something I can listen to at work while I roll around. Any suggestions?

Babbel gets a lot of advertising on the radio, but I've never known anyone who used it.

This is not a course, but my son is in Immersion school and they recommend an app called Duolingo. My son really likes it and I've been doing it too. There's a premium paid service within the app too. I don't know anything about that.

But it doesn't really fit what you'd want because you have to interact with it. It takes about 15 min a day to reach a daily goal which is all I really have time for. But supposedly schools everywhere have started using this app.

Comment

There's a lot out there, even varying programs based on how you prefer to learn.
      Here are 2 links to reviews that I've been reading over to decide what to use:

https://www.alllanguageresources.com/spanish-courses/
      https://www.mezzoguild.com/online-spanish-courses/

Comment

In my own research on the topic, what I have found is there's obviously a difference between regular Spanish and Spanish for law enforcement. What we need differs somewhat from what a normal person would need. It can never hurt to learn those Basics though.

Comment

• Exbpa340
          Exbpa340 commented
          Editing a comment
          The language is the language. There isn’t really a difference because it’s all Spanish. As an LEO you’d probably want to concentrate a little heavier on commands but it’s still part of the language. You’d still need to learn the basics if you want to have any kind of dialogue in that language.

Are you telling us that the regular courses don't teach the word pendejo??
        This Space For Rent

Comment

There's this....

https://nij.ojp.gov/events/espanol-law-enforcement

Comment

Originally posted by iconoclaste View Post
            This is not a course, but my son is in Immersion school and they recommend an app called Duolingo. My son really likes it and I've been doing it too. There's a premium paid service within the app too. I don't know anything about that.

But it doesn't really fit what you'd want because you have to interact with it. It takes about 15 min a day to reach a daily goal which is all I really have time for. But supposedly schools everywhere have started using this app.
            I definitely recommend Duolingo. I've been using it to learn Russian, and I love it.

I grew up speaking Romanian and Hungarian, so learning Russian isn't much of a stretch, but the app definitely helps.

Comment

I couldn't find anything great specifically for LE that was easy to digest. I took the suggestion on this board to try Domingo. A local cop also suggested it. I've been using it for a 9 days now and its easy to digest and use so far.

Comment

I learned Spanish in the early 90s while stationed overseas. I went the old school method (not that there were other options) of flash cards, books and hours of practice. By the end of my tour I had passed the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) with a very strong score. I’ve looked at these apps (Rosetta Stone/Duolingo) over the years and haven’t been too impressed. It’s better than nothing but alone neither will give you a decent grasp/understanding of the language. My agency used to offer free Rosetta Stone to all the officers and I’ve yet to meet a single person that learned the language or even gained some competency by using those apps.

My recommendation would be to go with the old school method. to buy flash cards. They sell them on Amazon and usually have a thousand or two thousand of the most used words in Spanish. Everyday grab a stack (20-40 words) and work on learning those words on that particular day. Next you should pick up a copy of 501 Spanish Verbs. It explains the tenses and how to conjugate in great detail. Lastly, as you progress you need to try and practice the language as often as you can and hopefully get to the point where you think in the language. It will take some time and won’t be easy but you’d be surprised how much you can learn in 6 months.
                “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
                DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4748 users online. 318 members and 4430 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X