300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Not Fair!!!!

I just needed to vent on the forum a little bit. I am in my early 20's and just graduated from college only a couple of years ago. I also got married right out of college as well. I hope to one day become an LEO somewhere in the country. I have applied to many agencies over the past few years. I have had no luck with any of them. I told my wife to apply to a federal law enforcement agency to become an agent. She said no, but i persisted and she finally decided to give it a shot. To make a long story short, she got hired to become an 1811!!! She has only applied to one agency in her life. This was never her dream or desire. She just applied and was accepted recently. Now she is off to training and we have been assigned to move to the midwest!!! How come when people want things so bad, they don't get it, but when someone who is extremely young, just applied because she was talked into it, get the job!!!! I am so jealous, yet very proud of her. Thanks for letting me vent. Be safe.

Originally posted by LSExplorer22 View Post
    I just needed to vent on the forum a little bit. I am in my early 20's and just graduated from college only a couple of years ago. I also got married right out of college as well. I hope to one day become an LEO somewhere in the country. I have applied to many agencies over the past few years. I have had no luck with any of them. I told my wife to apply to a federal law enforcement agency to become an agent. She said no, but i persisted and she finally decided to give it a shot. To make a long story short, she got hired to become an 1811!!! She has only applied to one agency in her life. This was never her dream or desire. She just applied and was accepted recently. Now she is off to training and we have been assigned to move to the midwest!!! How come when people want things so bad, they don't get it, but when someone who is extremely young, just applied because she was talked into it, get the job!!!! I am so jealous, yet very proud of her. Thanks for letting me vent. Be safe.
    I have no answers, or explanations for you. Don't blame you for venting. When you get out to the new location, keep trying. You need to vent again, well, holler at us. Good luck.

Comment

You talked her into this career and now she is going for it?? This isn't even what she wanted?? Man, I hope she ends up happy with the plate she gets handed..

and, keep trying- you are still very young, and if you stay on the right track, I'm sure something will come along. In the meantime, do things that make you attractive to prospective employers. Learn another language, get a degree, etc.... Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Presence
        and, keep trying- you are still very young, and if you stay on the right track, I'm sure something will come along. In the meantime, do things that make you attractive to prospective employers. Learn another language, get a degree, etc.... Best of luck!
        Solid advice.

Sometimes things drop into people's laps. Sometimes people devote their entire life working toward a cause that fails.

But most often, people who work hard to better themselves and the world will see the benefits and reap the rewards of their labor.

Comment

midwest = worst place to try and get a cop job right now.. most of the recruits in my area are coming from the midwest as they have like 1 job for everty 1000 apps. or so ive heard.

atleast your wife will be making bank and have a awsome retirement packadge.. maybe time for u to consider being the stay at home dad be happy! wife making good money is the win

Comment

oh, man...that's hard...I'm sorry...but I congratulate you for supporting your wife...that takes a special man to put up with us female LE types You keep trying...and you got some good advice from Presence.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

All I can say is keep looking. There is a shortage of LEOs now with the Iraq war, and recruitment has never been better.

You might ask why you got turned down. Maybe there's something you could do to improve your chances.

Whatever, don't blame your wife, or feel resentment against her. Many agencies need to bolster their M/F ratio to keep out of trouble with the EEOC.

By the way, the "It's not fair!!!" with three exlamation points perhaps indicates some petulance, anger, or immaturity. I hope it does not, and I again hope you don't blame your wife for just doing what you asked her.
              Last edited by Gene L; 06-05-2007, 02:25 PM.
              "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gene L View Post
                All I can say is keep looking. There is a shortage of LEOs now with the Iraq war, and recruitment has never been better.

You might ask why you got turned down. Maybe there's something you could do to improve your chances.

Whatever, don't blame your wife, or feel resentment against her. Many agencies need to bolster their M/F ratio to keep out of trouble with the EEOC.

By the way, the "It's not fair!!!" with three exlamation points perhaps indicates some petulance, anger, or immaturity. I hope it does not, and I again hope you don't blame your wife for just doing what you asked her.
                I can understand why he would say that. Sounds like HE is the one who REALLY wants that career. Sounds like HE is having a hard time getting there. Sounds like SHE isn't as interested, but SHE tries ONE TIME and BING - in like Flynn.

Whlie HE has not stated it, and he has notindicated any back ground, he may be irritated with the male/female diffenrences in hiring.
                Space for rent .........

Comment

things not being fair on this front is only a preview of what you'll see once you are hired... and you probably will get picked up at some point.

i didn't think it was fair when people who scored 20 points less on the test got hired simply because they lived 100 feet inside the city line while i did not... and it still makes no sense 5 years later. from my perspective, the only thing they have is a vote in their locality come november that someone might like to have - but on the other hand they could (and usually would) move out the first opportunity they got making that flawed logic.

i kept plugging away and got one, so don't give up.
                  The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day.

Comment

Everything happens for a reason man....EVERYTHING! This might be where you need to be at this point in time. Also, keep in mind that women and minorities are somewhat of a commodity in LE (not that she isn't capable) but it sure helps when applying for a job.

Don't stop trying.
                    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU ASK FOR , YOU JUST MIGHT GET IT! You asked her to apply and she got the job. You are young, keep trying and good luck.
                      "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Did you apply for a federal position? CBP is hiring
                        Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

If you can't find a job in law enforcement, you might still be qualified for other things that are close and maybe close enough. Security guard and private investigation come to mind. Also, there are lots of specialized niches in private investigation. For example you could investigate private aviation incidents for insurance companies.

Comment

Originally posted by scratched13 View Post
                            I can understand why he would say that. Sounds like HE is the one who REALLY wants that career. Sounds like HE is having a hard time getting there. Sounds like SHE isn't as interested, but SHE tries ONE TIME and BING - in like Flynn.

Whlie HE has not stated it, and he has notindicated any back ground, he may be irritated with the male/female diffenrences in hiring.
                            Well, it's a fact of life. I lost a promotion because of male/female difference in hiriing practices.

The only thing I can say is he must be looking for work in all the wrong places. Right now, just about everyone is looking for qualified persons. Perhaps he doesn't interview well, or something.

If he wants to work, all he has to do is keep on applying, and (if needed) work on his inter-personal skills. Just about everyone around here is hiring; the problem is getting someone worthwhile. Background checks, drug tests, and the psych exam weed out a lot of people for us.
                            "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gene L View Post
                              Well, it's a fact of life. I lost a promotion because of male/female difference in hiriing practices.

The only thing I can say is he must be looking for work in all the wrong places. Right now, just about everyone is looking for qualified persons. Perhaps he doesn't interview well, or something.

If he wants to work, all he has to do is keep on applying, and (if needed) work on his inter-personal skills. Just about everyone around here is hiring; the problem is getting someone worthwhile. Background checks, drug tests, and the psych exam weed out a lot of people for us.
                              So, you are complaining about it as well. So venting isn't such a bad thing?

Some departments still are very competative. Those extra PC points may end up being the difference.
                              Space for rent .........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6274 users online. 356 members and 5918 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X