Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frank
    replied
    I am not a LEO, but now subbing as a housekeeper for a small police department,while their regular employee is on vacation. I Have known police all through my life..I have heard a lot of stories about things that should not happen...I know this... No-one is perfect! I will say this..I have never seen any unruly or unprofessional police officer while at work or otherwise! Police have one of those types of jobs, that anyone non-Leo (Regular citizen) can abuse when they think they can get away with it.I am not saying that everyone gives false stories, maybe it's more like upping the story as a way to get back at a ticket for speeding ect, Anyway,I stand forth on my belief and knowing on many years of knowing them as freinds... I have always been proud to know them and talk with them. Maybe there is some stuff...but like I said, I have never seen anything.I thank those officers for the work they do and wish them a safe day while on the job and off, Because in reality they never really have a day off....any day!
    Last edited by frank; 06-08-2007, 11:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• trooperden
    replied
    I only have to play nice on duty, say what "Call the Governor all you want and by the way tell him Trooper Den says Hi

Leave a comment:

• katzeyze
    replied
    I've been giving this some thought the past day or two and decided to plunk down my two cents worth.

You are always going to have one or two smarty pants on ANY forum whose sense of humor tends to come across as sarcastic and bordering near caustic.

I've read through some of the threads in the general "Ask a Cop" section. Usually the response is pretty much what one would expect. A reasonable answer delivered in a non-condescending manner. Occasionally, the answers are a bit gruff, but most of the time they are great.

The few times when I have seen someone (or on occasion several someones) give a rude, it was somewhat justified. Only once or twice have I thought that a comment was out of line, but me being me, chalk that up to maybe that person just had a bad day.

Leave a comment:

• fair witness
    replied
    GrayPatriot- it's really great to know there are people like you (well, a person anyway, and I have met a couple that are OK) in the NYSP. Come work Troop F!

Leave a comment:

• GrayPatriot
    replied
    As cheesy as it sounds I became a cop to help people...

Some people come on this forum board to ask simple questions and get berated from the opening bell. A recent poster started with introducing himself in a polite way and asked, in my mind, a legitamate question only to have one officer simply tell him to "Go away"...

No one likes to get a speeding ticket and maybe they didn't think they were doing what the officer said they were doing. I know I have been pulled over before and the cop had me at 12 more than what I was doing. He said it was either me or the other car. Well guess what? If I wasn't a cop I would be posting on this forum only to have everyone tell me to shut up and pay the fine!!!

I can pul over 50 cars on a slow night and not write a ticket. If they are local I chat to them about whatever with the intent of building a rapport with them. So, when I need to find out who did the burg or Car Larceny down the road I have full cooperation from the local residents...

Finally, I personally don't consider it us against them as plenty of the "us" I wouldn't give the time of day to if I didn't have to!
    Last edited by GrayPatriot; 06-06-2007, 10:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• School Cop
    replied
    Aw, don't say that, now. You give some of the best replies in Ask a Cop.

Leave a comment:

• pujolsfan146
    replied
    Originally posted by School Cop View Post
    My estimate is that it's about 50-50: Some civilian posters really see it as "Ask a cop;" others see it as "Challenge a Cop."

It's when we, as officers, get these posters confused that a thread goes from nothing to 6 pages in 24 hours.
    I couldn't agree more. At this point I am done responding to any ask a cop threads. Could possibly be getting banned but that is ok also.

Leave a comment:

• School Cop
    replied
    My estimate is that it's about 50-50: Some civilian posters really see it as "Ask a cop;" others see it as "Challenge a Cop."

It's when we, as officers, get these posters confused that a thread goes from nothing to 6 pages in 24 hours.

Leave a comment:

• JPatrick
    replied
    Speaking for myself, I'd like to get away from an "us vs them" arm's length mentality. I'd rather see a "we are them" attitude in both police and civilians. After all, police officers are citizens (but naturally not all citizens are officers).

When citizens and cops have the same goals things get done. When they operate at arm's length conflict can be counterproductive.

Conflict is always going to be there, but if you recognize it, it's easier to manage.

Leave a comment:

• willowdared
    replied
    Originally posted by Jellybean400 View Post
    If they dont want to work on their time off, again - dont answer. There are some cops here who dont mind giving free advice.
    That's probably the best compromise.

Still, this forum walks a fine line. On the one hand, a private forum for Law Enforcement professionals, on the other, a place the public can ask for advice. That's a tall order, if you want to keep people fairly happy, and keep an active MB.

I am certainly a firm believer in courtesy, and always try to reply in a thoughtful manner. But most of the people that post here are real, (some are obviously fake/trolls/alter-egos) and that means your going to get real reactions.

My only other idea, is a Common Questions/Problems section, where those repeat questions can be stickied for the new members to check.

Leave a comment:

• Consultant
    replied
    Originally posted by fair witness View Post
    Well said.
    And 1042, I've always admired your unequivocal stance on these issues. (Didn't mention it before because I thought you might've had enough admiration for one week )Jellybean, you rock.
    I didn’t think I was that bad; was I?
    Albeit that would explain this taste in on my lips

Leave a comment:

• fair witness
    replied
    Originally posted by L-1 View Post
    In some cases, I think civilians are offended because some forum members go out of their way to be rude and offensive. This reflects poorly on all of us and on our profession.

I realize that a lot of the questions posed by civilians seem stupid. But you have to remember, they only seem stupid because we are experienced LEOs while the people posing the questions know nothing about our profession. The next time you ask your doctor a question about a medical issue you don't understand, think how you would feel if he called you an idiot or criticized your grammar or spelling.

It doesn't take that much effort to give a civil response. Be polite and the next time that civilian sees a cop getting his *** kicked, the more likely he will be to help the cop than to just walk away.
    Well said.
    And 1042, I've always admired your unequivocal stance on these issues. (Didn't mention it before because I thought you might've had enough admiration for one week )
    Jellybean, you rock.

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    Sometimes, We Are Our Own Worst Enemy

In some cases, I think civilians are offended because some forum members go out of their way to be rude and offensive. This reflects poorly on all of us and on our profession.

I realize that a lot of the questions posed by civilians seem stupid. But you have to remember, they only seem stupid because we are experienced LEOs while the people posing the questions know nothing about our profession. The next time you ask your doctor a question about a medical issue you don't understand, think how you would feel if he called you an idiot or criticized your grammar or spelling.

It doesn't take that much effort to give a civil response. Be polite and the next time that civilian sees a cop getting his *** kicked, the more likely he will be to help the cop than to just walk away.

Leave a comment:

• Jellybean400
    replied
    Originally posted by willowdared View Post
    The problem I see, is this is supposed to be a forum for law enforcement professionals to hang out and exchange ideas.

Is "Ask a Cop" a place for those trying to get into law enforcement?

Or is a place offering free legal advice?

If it's about free advice, then perhaps a board of volunteers could be developed, and those questions submitted via pm.

Otherwise, you're kinda asking people to "work" during their off time.
    This is what it says in the Ask a Cop section:

"Looking for advice? Is there something you always wanted to ask a cop? Only LEOs should answer questions. Please see posting guidelines."

The owners of the Forum set it up that way. If someone thinks a question is stupid, dont answer it. Pretty easy if you ask me. Why take the time to tell them "your question is stupid?" Or "you cant spell?" Do people really have that much of an urge to argue?? And then to go on post after post? I cant believe with the stressful job that an LEO has, that they WANT to come here and argue.

If they dont want to work on their time off, again - dont answer. There are some cops here who dont mind giving free advice.

Leave a comment:

• fair witness
    replied
    My understanding of Ask a Cop is that it's more or less for regular folks to be able to ask a cop, within fairly broad limits of decency, whatever it is that they think a cop might know that they have questions about. (I mean, there's a whole forum on hiring and recruitment, too, yes?)

And often, it seems, they bring to you guys stuff that they would be embarrassed or scared to "ask a cop" in real life. Much of the time, uh, one can see why, and you do get some prize jerks. Hey, some of them have me wanting to chime right in with y'all and ask them where they were while the brains were being handed out.

But it IS the "public" interface on o.com, and it does invite people to ask whatever. If a civil reply feels too much like "working on your day off," why even bother? Why not leave it to those who don't MIND a spot of volunteer work?
    I can't help but suspect that for some (not all!) it is a way to say to the public things you would never get a chance to say otherwise, and blow off a little frustration. Whatever, it's your website, yanno? My post was simply an observation about the effect I think that may have on the state of the world.

And as to legal advice, you could send them to freeadvice.com...there are a bunch of lawyers over there whose civility level makes this place look absolutely tender-hearted and genteel by comparison

Thanks, all of you, for being willing to discuss
    Last edited by fair witness; 06-05-2007, 01:21 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4948 users online. 285 members and 4663 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X