300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Trooper speed in unmarked car and then gave me a ticket

I was driving to work in the morning and in the rural area, very few cars. all a sudden I so the car behind me flash blue light and I pulled over.
    It's a state trooper in an unmarked car. He said he was driving 72mph while I passed him, so he wrote me a speeding ticket of 73mph.

I admit probably I WAS speeding. But my question is, can police speed? if a police officer is under certain task, such as chasing, with the blue lights on, that's understandable.

But I feel he speed himself in this unmarked car for setting up speeding trap, he is trying to influence the traffic so that they can write speeding ticket. As a new driver, I am infleunced by the surroundings car a lot.

Can police offecer speed when they are not under task?

Just go to court and explain it to the judge exactly like you did here.

Comment

*sigh* The Trooper was "under task". It's a little skill called pacing. Let me explain: the trooper was driving along and see's a vehicle approaching rapidly from behind. The trooper thinks, "Geez, that call is moving." So the trooper speeds up, trying to match the speed. Before he can effectively match you're speed, you pass him. He looks down at how fast he's going at that point and was nice enough to write you for only 1 mph faster than that. Sounds to me like you got off lucky.

Here's a little advise from a veteren driver: Be influenced by your speedometer, not that lone car up ahead of you. Things work out much better in the long run that way.
      \

Comment

You have very poor English. Also, are you trained in traffic enforcement? How do you know he was going 72?

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
          *sigh* The Trooper was "under task". It's a little skill called pacing. Let me explain: the trooper was driving along and see's a vehicle approaching rapidly from behind. The trooper thinks, "Geez, that call is moving." So the trooper speeds up, trying to match the speed. Before he can effectively match you're speed, you pass him. He looks down at how fast he's going at that point and was nice enough to write you for only 1 mph faster than that. Sounds to me like you got off lucky.

SHHHHH, don't give away our game plans!!! haha
          "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

I applogize for the poor English. I admit that I cannot speak english as well as my 1st and 2nd languages, but that doesn't prevent me from getting my master's degree and an engineering job in this country.

Does my poor English affect getting the ticket or getting the answers from the forum?

I have mentioned how I know he was driving 72mph.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post

Here's a little advise from a veteren driver: Be influenced by your speedometer, not that lone car up ahead of you. Things work out much better in the long run that way.
              Thank you for the advice. So he didn't speed until I was caught, strictly or technially speaking? So there is no point that I say anything to the judge I guess. Speeding ticket fine is part of revenue for our very rural county.

I wonder if there is any way that I just pay the fine and court cost and go to traffice school or whatever, without have such bad record. Otherwise it will have affect on my future promotion at work.

Comment

That seems odd that he told you he was going 72, but if he did there should have been a reason for it.

My advice to you is to take your case before a court and/or speak with an attorney.

Comment

----------------------------
                  Last edited by Jethro1984; 04-29-2008, 10:04 AM.
                  Jeff

:< Never argue with an idiot....They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience >:

Comment

Somebody owes me a new keyboard, because I for some reason broke it against my head while reading this post.

Guys this is what I call job security.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerdot View Post
                      I was driving to work in the morning and in the rural area, very few cars. all a sudden I so the car behind me flash blue light and I pulled over.
                      It's a state trooper in an unmarked car. He said he was driving 72mph while I passed him, so he wrote me a speeding ticket of 73mph.

I admit probably I WAS speeding. But my question is, can police speed? if a police officer is under certain task, such as chasing, with the blue lights on, that's understandable.

But I feel he speed himself in this unmarked car for setting up speeding trap, he is trying to influence the traffic so that they can write speeding ticket. As a new driver, I am infleunced by the surroundings car a lot.

Can police offecer speed when they are not under task?
                      I've written this ticket numerous times (in my marked patrol car). The thing is, I'm usually driving or pacing the car in front of me. I rarely drive fast for no reason unless I'm responding to a call, whether emergency or not. Per policy, when we are not responding to a call, or taking enforcement action, then we are required to obey all traffic laws. But you admit that you were, perhaps influenced by the surrounding cars. Is it possible that you were driving slightly faster than the surrounding cars? This affects my decision greatly when I'm deciding whether or not to take enforcement action.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Yeah, it's called pacing, cops do it here a lot. Thing is, here, as long as you don't pass the cop, then you're safe, pretty much...it's a beautiful thing. But I'm always wary around Intrepids with tinted windows....lol
                        Never argue with idiots - they just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Chaos, Panic and Disorder....my work here is done!

As her tears fell at his feet, she didn't say "I Love You," what she said meant even more: I laugh, I love, I hope, I tried. I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry and I know you do the same things too. So we're really not that different, me and you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. CO View Post
                          Somebody owes me a new keyboard, because I for some reason broke it against my head while reading this post.

Guys this is what I call job security.
                          well half the people who responded are not cops so what do they care.
                          "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

Take it to court and roll the dice.
                            "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Yes, a cop can exceed the speed limit to clock or radar a speeding vehicle.
                              "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3955 users online. 243 members and 3712 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X