300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Salary Question

Hi, I had a quick question about police salary. The local department here states that the salary of an entry level officer is about $40,000 for the first 6 months. However, how much do you actually get at the end of the year after taxes are taken out and everything, or does this figure include those deductions? Is it more like $35,000 or lower? Thanks for any info.

Hahhhhhhhhhh ,hahhhhhhhhhhh, hahhhhhh, ohh my side is hurting ,ohhhhhhhh,I think my appendix just burst,Hahhhhhhhhh,ohhhh now I cant breathe ,hahhhhhhhhhhhhh,now my eyes are blurry,
    Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Depending on your tax deduction status you'll take home about 70 - 75% of your pay check. Anyway that's what the math says on mine. One thing I've learned? Claim zero on your w2......always, I'd rather get back .25 then have to pay in.
      Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
      I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
      Originally posted by weinerdog2000
      as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by jmacman View Post
        Hi, I had a quick question about police salary. The local department here states that the salary of an entry level officer is about $40,000 for the first 6 months. However, how much do you actually get at the end of the year after taxes are taken out and everything, or does this figure include those deductions? Is it more like $35,000 or lower? Thanks for any info.
        At that income level, most people will lose at least 20% to taxes. 21% of my taxable income (I stick a huge chunk into our company's 401K) is deducted for taxes, and I live in a state with no state income tax. I also pay about 5% for my share of health insurance, and our company's benefit plan is very generous. Many people pay a LOT more. You might also be required to contribute to your state's retirement plan. All told, a $40,000 gross might net you only $25K or so.

An important factor is the amount of overtime, premium pay, holiday pay, and so on that you might expect to get. In some agencies this is close to zero, and in others it's huge. At my old agency, just about everyone can expect 5-10% above their base salary for these things, and a hard charger could almost double his income.

The stated salary in a job announcement will always be the "before deductions" figure. Figuring your precise take-home is much more difficult, as it varies with each individual situation.
        Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

As a rule of thumb I usually expect about 75% of my income. The federal government steals 20-25%. I don't pay a state income tax but if you're in Oregon you can expect the State to take it's cut out of your pay as well.

Also depending on your needs, you may have significant deductions for health/dental/vision insurance, a 401k (or IRA), etc.

Comment

Generally speaking the 30-40% range is what is witheld in taxes and other salary deductions. Count on at least 30% of your pay being held out.

Comment

Wow, taxes take out way more than I was expecting, thanks for the replies!

Comment

Originally posted by jmacman View Post
                Wow, taxes take out way more than I was expecting, thanks for the replies!
                What jobs have you worked in the past. I'd think you would have had a couple of previous jobs if you are now looking at applying as a police officer.

Comment

I lose 1/3 of my salary to taxes and everything else.
                  sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

With everything taken out, I get 69% of my hourly pay. That's why when I work overtime, I just call it taxed-free working. I actually GET my base hourly pay plus 70 cents when I work OT.
                    "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

Taxes is just a portion of what you'll lose off of your paycheck. Expect your net income to be anywhere from 60-70% of your gross income (depending on your many deductions)....And then here comes the bills

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

I've had a few part-time jobs and full time during a summer a few years back, but I'm still a few years off from pursuing a career as a police officer, have to finish my degree first.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6277 users online. 323 members and 5954 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X